Thread: Random misfire solutions and obvious problems?

Tuner in Training

Random misfire solutions and obvious problems?

have a 6.0 with 706 heads and BTR Truck Norris (212/22X, .552/.552, 107 LSA) cam in a 2500HD, 10.5:1 compression, stock manifolds, 50 lb/hr injectors and tuned VE and MAF. Truck has consistently had P0300 (random misfire code) at idle or below 1600 rpm. Pulls very strong and I never see any timing being pulled on my spark retard table. Truck idles at 800 rpm and I adjusted my idle spark advance to 20 degrees for this cam - maybe too much? I've seen a bunch of people simply turn off P0300 and I am wondering if I should do the same? I have checked my coils with an inline spark light, spark plugs are new - could be fouled from the tuning maybe? Although it has had a random misfire code since before the tuning process and new injectors (did import new tables). Checked exhaust temps with an IR gun and they all go up to 240+ at the same rate from cold start to 5 minutes. Don't feel any hesitation or pops at any point and the CEL only blinks once or twice when I leave a red light and very rarely (1 out of 10 times)
    Things I have adjusted Knock sensor level all 3 tabs 1.25 multiplier from 0-2000 RPM. Haven't touched global gain. I am looking for the least intrusive way to fix this without removing P0300 unless necessary.
    Is this cam aggressive enough at idle to cause a P0300? are my timing parameters off at idle? just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can help.

Is this cam aggressive enough at idle to cause a P0300?
    Yes. Obviously.

Senior Tuner
    Adjusting the knock sensors has nothing to do with P0300. That code is derived from the crankshaft.

Do a crank relearn. From there start adjusting misfire counters.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Adjusting the knock sensors has nothing to do with P0300. That code is derived from the crankshaft.

Do a crank relearn. From there start adjusting misfire counters.
    well I guess you don't know the things you don't know. I will try this. Wait, is this also why my torque converter never feels like it goes into lockup on the highway?

Most of my misfire counters are in 32,767...is that in milliseconds? So do I tighten up the window and lower the value so that the maximum time between events is shorter?

Senior Tuner
    No that's the misfire event time. That's the max value. To disable the misfire counter put that value in.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    No that's the misfire event time. That's the max value. To disable the misfire counter put that value in.
    Would you suggest maxing it out or putting in something similar to the minimum values at stock idle? I shifted everything to the max under my idle (32767) to 800 rpm and then mimicked the table that started at stock idle for the rest of the table and doubled it?

Senior Tuner
    Max out both idles. Max out Medium for rows 1200 and 1400rpm.