Thread: LS1 Starts then dies HELP !!!!!!

Tuner in Training

LS1 Starts then dies HELP !!!!!!

Hi - I'm new to HP tuners and have a problem I hope you can help me with.

I have a 1970 Camaro that I have rebuilt from the ground up. I put an LS1 motor out of a 2004 Corvette into the car with an American Powertrain 6 speed manual transmission. The engine is stock except cold air intake, headers and a mild Crower cam. The issue I have is the car will start and then die.

If I disconnect the battery and let the car sit for several hours, I can get it to start and run. When it runs it runs great, no issues. If I then turn the car off, I can get 1 or 2 more starts and it runs fine. After that, it will run for 5-10 seconds, then die. After that, it fires and immediately dies. After that, it turns over but will not start.

Here is what I have tried:
    When its in the mode of start and dies. The injector flashes 1 or 2 times then stops flashing.
    Fuel pressure is always between 58 & 62 lbs normal pressure - pump runs exactly how it should.
    Confirmed all grounds are good and all connections are clean.
    PCM has the battery connections and ignition connection correct. It has voltage when it should have voltage.
    Confirmed VAT system is turned off.
    There are no pending or stored codes.
    I have put in 3 different computers, no change
    I have moved the tune from computer to computer, making sure its all the same.
    I have been reading all the forums I can and have tried everything I can find, no change

I know I am new but if there is any help or thought that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!!!!
    R70chevy

Tuner in Training

LS1 starts then dies, Help !!

also here is a copy of my tune

1-8-2024 Read Braxton's.hpt

Senior Tuner
    First step should be referencing a 2004 Corvette file (non-Z06) and returning everything to stock. Go from there. VE and Cranking VE are nonsense.

Tuner in Training
    thanks i will try that

Tuner in Training
    no change, same thing starts a couple of times then, just cranks no start......

Tuner in Training
    Question for you, does the LS computer have a internal program that will shut off the injectors on start up other than the VAT system?

thank you

Senior Tuner
    No. There may be a problem with the cam sensor. Will you post your latest tune and a log of the event?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by r70chevy View Post
    Hi - I'm new to HP tuners and have a problem I hope you can help me with.

I have a 1970 Camaro that I have rebuilt from the ground up. I put an LS1 motor out of a 2004 Corvette into the car with an American Powertrain 6 speed manual transmission. The engine is stock except cold air intake, headers and a mild Crower cam. The issue I have is the car will start and then die.

If I disconnect the battery and let the car sit for several hours, I can get it to start and run. When it runs it runs great, no issues. If I then turn the car off, I can get 1 or 2 more starts and it runs fine. After that, it will run for 5-10 seconds, then die. After that, it fires and immediately dies. After that, it turns over but will not start.

Here is what I have tried:
    When its in the mode of start and dies. The injector flashes 1 or 2 times then stops flashing.
    Fuel pressure is always between 58 & 62 lbs normal pressure - pump runs exactly how it should.
    Confirmed all grounds are good and all connections are clean.
    PCM has the battery connections and ignition connection correct. It has voltage when it should have voltage.
    Confirmed VAT system is turned off.
    There are no pending or stored codes.
    I have put in 3 different computers, no change
    I have moved the tune from computer to computer, making sure its all the same.
    I have been reading all the forums I can and have tried everything I can find, no change

I know I am new but if there is any help or thought that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!!!!
    R70chevy
    Is the fuel pressure proper WHILE it doesn't run?

A log would be helpful. Also try reading codes while it is acting up.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs