Thread: innovate lm2 cant get data off the usb.

Tuner in Training

innovate lm2 cant get data off the usb.

I did search but did not find anything. I have a innovate lm2 working fine. I am using a mpvi3. Fresh install of vcm scanner. I am trying to get data off the usb cable into vcm scanner. When I open innovates data logger (logworks) I can connect to the lm2 and see the afr no problems just using the usb cable. So, I do not think it?s the lm2 unit/laptop/cable. Let me explain what I am doing in vcm scanner I click add channel > serial port > Innovate > Innovate sp afr > right click newly added channel > transform > parameters click to install change > oxygen sensor > air fuel ratio > Innovate lm2. Then I hit start scanning. All the stuff coming off the obd2 port is working (rpm and all). Innovate sp afr vanishes. I do not have logworks open at this time I understand I can use the port on two programs.

Question: Is it possible to use vcm scanner to pull the data off the lm2 just using the usb port? If so, am I doing something wrong?

Edit: I know I can use an output off the lm2 and get the prolink+ and wire in a input but hoping I don't have to.

Tuner in Training
    For any poor sole that comes across this tread later on in life. It is possible to link the lm2 data to vcm scanner using a usb port/external serial data.

1. Watch this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_7zhqtvhQ
    If the video goes down in a nut shell you cannot use the top usb port. It comes up a game controller in the device manager not a port. You have to use the bottom 4 pin on the side it is the serial out port.

2. Get this cable.
    https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/...and-psn-1.html
    If this link goes down it is innovate motor sports 4 pin to a db9 cable.

3. Get a usb to serial db9 cable. I use the keyspan db9 to usb. Install all the drivers.

4. Go to innovates web side get logworks, the lm programing software and the firmwear update software.

5. Update your firmwear in the lm2 (use the top usb port, put the lm2 into boot mode). Unplug the top usb port/cable you will not be using this with hp tuners. Do a fresh air calibration. Open lm programmer with the lm2 powered and the 4 pin/keyspan plugged into the side. Make sure it reads the port. This will tell you that everything is good on the innovate side.

6. Close the lm programmer. With the 4pin db9 and keyspan plugged in. Open vcm scanner. Have your hp mpvi3 and cable all hooked up. Hit the connect to vehicle. add the channel ( add channel > serial port > Innovate > Innovate sp afr > right click newly added channel > transform > parameters click to install change > oxygen sensor > air fuel ratio > Innovate lm2 ). Dont start login yet. In the vehicle tab with everything still plugged in click repoll for supported parameters. Start logging.

Why would someone go to the trouble with all this? The serial data is more reliable. Analog signals are problematic with ground offset and the use of power inverter/electrical noise and I’m stubborn. Hope this helps someone down the road.

Then a few days latter its going to fail again. Go to help resync interface. Clear out your vehicle profiles. Connect to vehicle. Repoll for supported parameter. Its going to give you some crazy numbers in the parameters like 500s. Right click on the lm2 parameter i use afr. Click on transform. Use value/68.085 + 7.35 and your back up and running.
    Last edited by Fuse; 5 Days Ago at 09:09 PM.