Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with VE table

Tuner in Training

Help with VE table

I'm working on a 99 5.3 with a chinese 2 stage cam. It was extremely rich and I got the MAF calibration done. Runs ok MAF only just start up can be a little rough. My question is in speed density I set up my graph, note I'm using narrowbands but I'm only idle and cruising no WOT or getting into PE, but no matter what I do to my VE table I'm still rich by -8 to -14. And I've made some pretty drastic changes to this table. My DFCO is off MAF failed SES light on first error. I've knocked up to about 35%-40% off my VE table from 400 to 1200 RPM and still this rich. What am I doing wrong or missing?

Being a 99 and I assume a 99 computer, it has two VE tables. In speed density it only uses the secondary VE table. If you make changes to the primary table, you'll see zero change. But you still need to make changes to that table for when it's not in speed density.

Also 99's use really tiny injectors, you'll need bigger ones with a camshaft upgrade.

And ALWAYS POST THE TUNE FILE, we can't help much if we can't see what you are working with.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for that. That helped. I know the transitions are still a little rough. But it is working now. I ran out of time but this is where I'm at. I've got some issues. This thing will not idle in gear. And MAP is way off in gear at idle. Any advice for that?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    If there is a 1 bar SD COS available update your OS to that. It eliminates the secondary VE and you can still run a MAF/VE blend with it.

Tuner in Training
    The OS options are SD Enhanced, SD 2 Bar, and 1 Bar MAF Enhanced. Just do the SD Enhanced?

Yes, that is correct.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    So I'm still learning a lot of this. Please don't mistake this question as me doubting because I'm not. But does the original OS blend MAF/VE?

Yes it does. From the factory they will blend the MAF/VE together up to about 4,000rpm. You can see that setting in the dynamic airflow tab. From there it's technically MAF only above that.

Tuner in Training
    Ok thanks for the help. This truck was originally tuned from another shop MAF only. The truck ran terrible so I'm learning and trying to straighten it out. Just trying to make sure I don't grenade it.

You can do all your part throttle stuff for now until you get a wideband hooked up and some bigger fuel injectors. Then you can retouch the MAF/VE and work on the rest of the airflow model.

Tuner in Training
    Ok I've applied the SD 1 Bar OS. I got the VE table in the cruising area done. Havent really touched on the other spots yet. Swapped back to MAF and now I'm having trouble getting it right. I'm roughly 10% rich across the board. I started with X%.5 and didnt see much of a result so I just started doing the X% and interpolating. Still not much of a result. Maybe 1-2%. O2s look okay switching from 100 to 830. This took me very little time yesterday to get dialed in within 2%. Am I missing something in the different OS or just need more drive time?

Senior Tuner
    That VE table isn't even close to finished.

To tune MAF you need to have Airflow>Dynamic>High RPM Disable set to 200rpm. But why are you bothering with swapping back to MAF if you applied the 1bar SD OS?

Tuner in Training
    I planned to run both MAF and SD. And I know it's not finished. I dont have a WB on it right now I've just been working on the cruising area. And I know that area is still a little rough I was just trying to get it out of being way too rich cruising. And I had it set up in MAF only I just set it back to see how it drove with both enabled. I have an MPVI 3 supposed to be here Tuesday. Should I just wait and tune for SD only?
    Last edited by EWilkerson; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:39 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Show me a log of running SD. I'll help you out with it. You're probably holding off until you get bigger injectors, but even down low VE can use some work.

Don't forget Trans Diag>Max Line Pressure DTC to disabled.

Also don't forget to clear LTFT's after each tune flash.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:09 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I just went for a drive and logged this.

Senior Tuner
    Is that a log of what I attached?

Tuner in Training
    No I'm sorry for some reason I thought that was the attachment I posted.
    I will put that in tomorrow and re log if youre still willing to help then.
    Last edited by EWilkerson; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:53 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Sure I'll help you then. So what tune is that log from?

Tuner in Training
    This one.
    Last edited by EWilkerson; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:48 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Yep that's the one I used. I sent you a PM. After that load this next SD tune, clear LTFT, then log.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:19 AM.