Thread: Forced induction tables - what do they change?

Tuner in Training

Forced induction tables - what do they change?

Can anyone please clarify what changes to tables usage and logic overall will be triggered by switching Engine->Torque Management->SC/TC General-> Forced Induction Type fitted from "none" to "Supercharger"?

I went with a PD blower on my NA engine and my tuner didn't change that setting. I know that it's not a big deal and I tune my car without it as well, but being a perfectionist I'd like to know what scenarios can this option help me with if any?

Thank you

Tuning Addict
    It switches it to read or be equipped with a second iat sensor, although it's technically a third iat sensor. In other words if your car is correctly wired up to use both iat's in the MAF plus the iat in the blower then that is supposed to be flipped and correctly set up in the calibration. You would be amazed at how many tuners don't know any of this stuff I would also hope since you're running a pd blower that you're set up with a sciap as well. If not hopefully the tune is set up to go into PE pretty fast.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    It switches it to read or be equipped with a second iat sensor, although it's technically a third iat sensor. In other words if your car is correctly wired up to use both iat's in the MAF plus the iat in the blower then that is supposed to be flipped and correctly set up in the calibration. You would be amazed at how many tuners don't know any of this stuff I would also hope since you're running a pd blower that you're set up with a sciap as well. If not hopefully the tune is set up to go into PE pretty fast.
    Thanks a lot for your answer. I'm kinda in the wrong room and I should be playing with other kids in the v6 corner (I have a 2016 Camaro 3.6 with an Edelbrock PD blower), but v6 info on this setup is basically non-existent. So pardon me for missing the section, but I really need those answers

Currently I'm running IAT in the manifold - I've changed the option in Sensor Config from TIAP to NA-MAP (since the TMAP sensor is now located after the intercooler brick). How can I check the wiring for the IAT2? The Edelbrock harness is splicing into the MAF sensor's temp, so I guess it runs off IAT1 only at this point

Can you please tell more about why do I need the SCIAP and how can I check the proper wiring for it? I'm afraid the v6 can have only one IAT temp sensor in the MAF and that's it, but the blower has a MAP sensor right after the throttle body, it's just not wired up. My enrichment is set to 50% across the range in Pedal table and 60 to 40 in torque table. I'm not sure this is the optimal way, but I guess it kinda is when the car is running blind without knowing it has a PD blower and treats the situation as a pimped-up NA scenario with just a lot of air coming in
    Last edited by Roland_Price; 03-22-2024 at 07:12 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Yours basically has a sciap, but it's not hooked up. Your current iat config will work, so no need to change to the supercharger setting in the calibration. You would need to talk to Will to know for sure if your ECM could accept having all 3 iats. Since it's a car, I imagine it would work. If that's the case you could run the wiring for both the iat and the sciap at the same time. The trucks are what it won't work on and that's only because they're set up to run an ambient air temperature input in place of the 3rd iat's. Your MAF actually has 2 iat's built into it whereas pin 1's iat is the main feed to the ecm and used for timing control inputs. I do not know how the first iat in it is used or what it is related to. I imagine some sort of temperature drop calculation, but don't know. Since your engine is torque controlled it is recommended to wire in the sciap if you can. Will will also need to put the offsets into your calibration for that if it will accept one.

Your PE settings need to be changed. Watch your boost when coming in with easy pedal, if you can even give it easy pedal to make sure it's going into PE with or just before boost is being seen.

I haven't tuned any V6's, much less one with a blower add on. Just going by what has to be done to make the V8's right.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Yours basically has a sciap, but it's not hooked up. Your current iat config will work, so no need to change to the supercharger setting in the calibration. You would need to talk to Will to know for sure if your ECM could accept having all 3 iats. Since it's a car, I imagine it would work. If that's the case you could run the wiring for both the iat and the sciap at the same time. The trucks are what it won't work on and that's only because they're set up to run an ambient air temperature input in place of the 3rd iat's. Your MAF actually has 2 iat's built into it whereas pin 1's iat is the main feed to the ecm and used for timing control inputs. I do not know how the first iat in it is used or what it is related to. I imagine some sort of temperature drop calculation, but don't know. Since your engine is torque controlled it is recommended to wire in the sciap if you can. Will will also need to put the offsets into your calibration for that if it will accept one.

Your PE settings need to be changed. Watch your boost when coming in with easy pedal, if you can even give it easy pedal to make sure it's going into PE with or just before boost is being seen.

I haven't tuned any V6's, much less one with a blower add on. Just going by what has to be done to make the V8's right.
    Thanks. Can you please tell who Will is and where can I find him?)

Two tuners later (one here in Ukraine and one remote from US) I'm having a bit of PTSD and prefer to tune my car myself. Right now I'm, lacking technical info regarding GM platform. Is there a surefire way to find out what tables come into play when enabling the supercharger though tune?

Hey!

I am will, I can configure your calibration to have the correct settings for the SCIAP sensor.
    I understand wanting to do this your self. You can send a request into hptuner support to have the SCIAP linear and offset added in.
    This will be enough to get the sensor to work, and keep much better control of your throttle.

And if you add the IAT 2, you can set the supercharger fitted switch.
    I assume that the V6 will have enough of the background settings to make this relatively seamless.
    But I have never done one, so it will be a learning curve.

I have done a lot of digging for supercharger related calibrations, and have found a enough to make the car very happy.
    But i can not say that i have found all of them or know what everything does.

you can PM me, and I can help further if you would like.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by will_974 View Post
    Hey!

I am will, I can configure your calibration to have the correct settings for the SCIAP sensor.
    I understand wanting to do this your self. You can send a request into hptuner support to have the SCIAP linear and offset added in.
    This will be enough to get the sensor to work, and keep much better control of your throttle.

And if you add the IAT 2, you can set the supercharger fitted switch.
    I assume that the V6 will have enough of the background settings to make this relatively seamless.
    But I have never done one, so it will be a learning curve.

I have done a lot of digging for supercharger related calibrations, and have found a enough to make the car very happy.
    But i can not say that i have found all of them or know what everything does.

you can PM me, and I can help further if you would like.
    Hi, Will

Nice to meet you) I've PMed you

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Price View Post
    Can anyone please clarify what changes to tables usage and logic overall will be triggered by switching Engine->Torque Management->SC/TC General-> Forced Induction Type fitted from "none" to "Supercharger"?

I went with a PD blower on my NA engine and my tuner didn't change that setting. I know that it's not a big deal and I tune my car without it as well, but being a perfectionist I'd like to know what scenarios can this option help me with if any?

Thank you
    Adding a SCIAP sensor to that setup will make a big difference in driveablity.

The supercharger fitted setting causes a VVE hiccup like bug in the GEN 4's. I have not tried it with GEN 5.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post

The supercharger fitted setting causes a VVE hiccup like bug in the GEN 4's. I have not tried it with GEN 5.
    As long as everything is wired in and set up correctly, it works good on gen 5's. It just changes the logic to use the superchargers IAT along with the MAF's. Basically an lt4's OS.

Now I will say if you zero out the prediction coefficients in a gen 5, it will cause the VE bug. Actually the same exact thing with fuel dumps and stumbles, but you can also see the logging and processing power of the ecm slow down at the same time of the "glitch". I think 0ing them out just screws with it's math calcs and bogs it down causing the problem.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post

Yeah, everyone keep saying this to me lately Thanks for weighting in on the subject. I noticed a SCIAP break-out harness on your site and I wanted to order it, but stopped at the last moment - what if there's nothing to plug it in in v6 ECU? I haven't found any manual on how to use the harnes so I decided to ask your support, but maybe you can clarify this?

I only have one MAP in my configuration and I've set it to NA-MAP because other options were less favorable for tuning. As far as I understood the Edelbrock guys use ONLY sciap for tuning, which is super weird to me. I have no access to their tune so I can only guess, but in their manual it sure looks like it - https://edelbrock-instructions-v1.s3...ock/159950.pdf

I went the other way and left the pressure sensor in the manifold, along with the temp sensor, so I have the SCIAP physically in my setup, it's just not connected to anything. I requested adding the calibration PIDs to my tune from HPt support, waiting for them to do it. But I guess I will need a config for the SCIAP, just as I have for the regular MAP now or the calibration along will do it when I enable the "SC fitted" option?

Senior Tuner
    I honestly have no idea about the V6's. Sorry.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs