Thread: Le5 with a 5l40e

Potential Tuner

Le5 with a 5l40e

I swapped an le5 out of a Saturn sky with the 5l40e into my car I have power and ground connected to the dlc connector and the tan and tan/black wires connected to pins 6 and 14 with a 120 ohm terminating resistor in between and 2.49 volts on both pins but I cannot get the tuner or a scanner connect . Am I missing anything?

Did you measure the removed battery resistance on the CAN lines? Is the hardware and software compatible? Is the vehicle on the list of supported ECM/PCM's?

Senior Tuner
    Need more information on how this is laid out. Do you have a BCM or anything else on the network. Do you have ECM to all of the power feed wires. You should read 60 ohms between pins 6 & 14 since there should be 3 120 ohms resistors in series. One of these may be in the ECM.

Good explanation of the GM Can Network:
    https://resources.aeswave.com/ATG-05...rogramming.pdf

Potential Tuner
    I?m just using the ecm and transmission control module they are already wired in the factory harness I just added a 120 ohm resistor at the dlc I have 60 ohms resistance at the connector and I have 2.49 volts at the negative and 2.51 at the can positive . I even tried an obd scan tool and it won?t communicate

No you are not missing anything. That is the voltage and resistance you should get. Next would be to do the same test at the trans connector. While you are there you need to verify powers and grounds. Even with the wrong TCM it will communicate you will just get funky data and or no drive/reverse.

Senior Tuner
    Do some of these need the low speed data wire connected to the DLC to read? There have been reports of issues of some of the older Cobalt donors not communicating without the low speed connected on the Goblin Kit car forum. But I don't remember any details.
    Last edited by gtstorey; 03-22-2024 at 07:40 AM.

Senior Tuner
    If this actually has a separate TCM, I would guess that the TCM is on the network giving the voltages you are seeing and the ECM is not awake to broadcast. And neither HPT or "obd scan tool" will communicate with the TCM.

They will still have serial data. Single wire on terminal 2 of the DLC. If I am not mistaken when I do factory programming it will go through serial data wire but not sure when it is strictly CAN. I know there was a break point that programming time dropped significantly when high speed programming started.
    Regardless I can hook up to later model stuff on stand alone with CAN wired. I would imagine yours would need only the CAN wires, power and ground to get communication. You didn't list the VIN or any data on the build so anything further is just a WAG.

Potential Tuner
    I have 60 ohms at the dlc when I unplug both the ecm I have 120 ohms the only data wires coming form the modules is the tan and tan/black both of the modules are from a 2007 Saturn sky base with an automatic

Potential Tuner
    Thank you

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Here you go. Have fun.
    Unrelated to the OP's question, but when you print PDF diagrams off of eSI, do you have to turn up the size? Mine always preview small and I have to crank it up to like 150% to fill the page lol

Quote Originally Posted by cobra30689 View Post
    Unrelated to the OP's question, but when you print PDF diagrams off of eSI, do you have to turn up the size? Mine always preview small and I have to crank it up to like 150% to fill the page lol
    Make Sure to click the magnifying glass. Your issue is likely that you are using the print function of the browser rather than magnifying glass and the GM application forcing the driver.
    Screenshot 2024-03-23 163144.png
    Use the print button on ESI
    Screenshot 2024-03-23 163502.png
    Use "Save as PDF" and usually I just make sure it is in landscape. I like to use the options to print background also.
    Screenshot 2024-03-23 163655.png

Potential Tuner
    I finally figured it out I tried to use existing wiring to get it inside the car and there was too much resistance on the wires I ran it on two new wires and I have communication now I have a bunch of codes

Potential Tuner
    I?m getting a code u0101 now that?s the only concerning code

Quote Originally Posted by William1991 View Post
    I finally figured it out I tried to use existing wiring to get it inside the car and there was too much resistance on the wires I ran it on two new wires and I have communication now I have a bunch of codes
    To much resistance in the wires? This is a VERY low current circuit. Communication could literally be attained by a single strand of wire. You sure you didn't have a short to ground? Maybe some rubbed through insulation?

As for the U0101 it sounds like you entire issue may be a TCM. Maybe incompatible components, programming, or bad TCM. Follow the diag

Potential Tuner
    I was trying to use existing wiring in the car to pass it through the firewall and I?m guessing that was the issue. I ran 2 new wires and now I have communication I?m thinking maybe the pcm might have programming issues I bought both together from a salvage yard so you never know