Thread: Help tuning a 2017 6.0 Silverado 2500

Tuner in Training

Help tuning a 2017 6.0 Silverado 2500

First time trying to tune a gasser with HPT, got a 2017 2500 Silverado with the 6.0 engine. Was wondering where I should start for adding power and also the trans side. Vehicle will tow mostly. Thanks a bunch.

Tuner in Training
    This is the file I read. Comparing it to a stock file from the repository, it has some differences.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You can make it more responsive but there isn't any real magic horsepower to be gained, nothing you are going to notice for towing anyway. You need to actually mod the engine, like different camshaft or add a supercharger if you want more grunt for towing.

Your file from a repository file can always show minor differences depending on what version of the calibration it is, some trucks could be earlier built or later built with different calibration changes because of that.

I can't edit your tune but I'm sure others will maybe be willing to help.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You can make it more responsive but there isn't any real magic horsepower to be gained, nothing you are going to notice for towing anyway. You need to actually mod the engine, like different camshaft or add a supercharger if you want more grunt for towing.

Your file from a repository file can always show minor differences depending on what version of the calibration it is, some trucks could be earlier built or later built with different calibration changes because of that.

I can't edit your tune but I'm sure others will maybe be willing to help.
    Would I edit the torque demand tables to make it more responsive?

Senior Tuner
    The 6.0 Gen 5 stuff actually picks up a ton with tuning.

They often have exceptionally long PE timers, the MAF is often way out of calibration at higher loads, and timing of course.

This one looks like it was modified already, but could be done a lot better.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post

They often have exceptionally long PE timers, the MAF is often way out of calibration at higher loads, and timing of course.

Ok, made some adjustments to trans and PE tables. As far as timing, what is the data read as, BTDC?

Tuner in Training

Question about the maf, which way is it out of calibration? The intake is stock. With gassers, re-scaling the maf will either add or subtract fuel? This is how it works on the diesel side but how will that equate to more power for a gasser? I'm assuming they run a bit rich from factory at high loads so you want to lean it out a bit?

Senior Tuner
    They are typically very lean. like 15%+ with the stock airbox even. SO add. But you should be measuring yours and tuning around what your truck is doing.

They feel like they pick up 50 rwhp with a tune. Not saying yours will.. They are not common compared to the 5.3's and 6.2's but the few I've done have really woken up.

Pretty surprisingly poor OEM tunes in them.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    They are typically very lean. like 15%+ with the stock airbox even. SO add. But you should be measuring yours and tuning around what your truck is doing.

They feel like they pick up 50 rwhp with a tune. Not saying yours will.. They are not common compared to the 5.3's and 6.2's but the few I've done have really woken up.

Pretty surprisingly poor OEM tunes in them.
    Thanks! Appreciate it.

Senior Tuner
    Something I'll add.

For a tow rig I like to get rid of that big spike in the VCT angle tables.
    vct angles.png

Compensate for the changes at VCP spark. This can be done in either the VCP table itself or the base spark. In the VCP table, copy-with-axis 3400rpm and up then paste-add into the Low Octane table. Interpolate the columns between the horizontal bounds. See the trends?
    vcp spark.png

Do the same for Hi (watch MBT!). Afterward, zero out the VCP table.
    vcp spark hi.png

Of course, verify changes through logging.

Quick example attached:
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 03-21-2024 at 08:04 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Something I'll add.

For a tow rig I like to get rid of that big spike in the VCT angle tables.
    vct angles.png

Compensate for the changes at VCP spark. This can be done in either the VCP table itself or the base spark. In the VCP table, copy-with-axis 3400rpm and up then paste-add into the Low Octane table. Interpolate the columns between the horizontal bounds. See the trends?
    vcp spark.png

Do the same for Hi (watch MBT!). Afterward, zero out the VCP table.
    vcp spark hi.png

Of course, verify changes through logging.

Quick example attached:
    I see! Thanks will try this out. I noticed the factory maps have tons of spikes and could use a good smoothing out.