Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pulling time on WOT but wideband shows neither too rich or lean

Senior Tuner
    Change your Spark>Dwell settings to match something that has round coils. 2000 Silverado 2500 for example.

Tuner in Training
    Okay I'll take a look,

Wasted a bunch of time today since my SD tuning file somehow got mixed up and had the wrong settings on x.x

I did get a brief run just with only the fuel transient changes (not in any tune mode), wasn't a great A/B test since the route was a bit different

39tthrun.hpl

I'll dig into the spark dwell settings, and actually re-tune it in SD properly
    Last edited by toonwarrior; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:47 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Some of the files on tune repository for vehicles with the truck coils weren't consistent but the silverado tune files were so going with that.

Unfortunately don't know exactly what my coils came off so hard to say but I guess it'll still be better than using LS1 coil data for the truck coil

Updated base tune with the dwell settings from the silverado

basetunev2.32.hpt

Now a matter of re-doing SD and MAF again.

Senior Tuner
    While you're doing that have the switchpoints set to 451mV across. Fuel>Oxygen Sensors>Rich/Lean vs Airflow

Tuner in Training
    Took an SD log, the trims are pretty close to 0, (with the exception of cells under 100 count showing)

Here's a question, if the car feels sluggish is there any point going to dial in MAF?

Or does it make more sense to now start adjusting timing, and fueling in SD to get the car where I like, then bring that timing table over to MAF and tune that?

41sthrun.hpl

SDtuning.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Here's injection timing for a stock LT1 cam:
    LT1 EOIT.png

Put that in. Set PE Enable MAP to 85kPa. Log Cylinder Airmass. Try doing a 20 minute log. Get higher in the RPM's.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:31 PM.

Tuner in Training
    How did I do an 18 minute drive and not go above 3000 rpm lol, issue of an unnecessarily loud exhaust where you think you're going faster than you are.

Thank you I'll get an updated log tomorrow and setup the histogram for spark advance using cylinder airmass so I can reference the timing table directly for adjustments

I'm assuming these injection timing values are generated by some calculations? Mind if I ask what tool you used (if any), I see a spreadsheet but can't find all the data that I need to input it, just double checking the values so I can help myself later, I would assume the b-body LT1 and f-body LT1s will have different value sets.

injectiontiming.PNG
    Last edited by toonwarrior; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:18 PM.

Senior Tuner
    https://www.summitracing.com/newsand...ing-calculator

Then put it into the attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    This look right to you? comes close to the values you posted above, just need to make sure I inputted it correctly lol

impalassstockcam.PNG

injectiontiming.PNG

Senior Tuner
    I used 202/207 116+4

Tuner in Training
    Kk yea that's f-body cam specs.

B-body cam specs are 191/196 111+4.

Or atleast what Google shows me

But thanks for the instructions, values are fairly similar anyways

Tuner in Training
    Okay so I took a much longer run but living in the city I can't get as much data above 4k rpm as I need to sit in it to get the cell count, problem is with a straight pipe setup its obnoxious, I plan on getting a better exhaust system but stuck with this for now.

43rdrun.hpl

I ended up doing a bunch of small run during errands and cleaned up the lower values

47thrun.hpl

SDtuning.hpt

I logged cylinder mass and setup the histogram,

timing.PNG

Problem is now I don't really have any experience adjusting timing, I know the table is conservative but exactly where would I be adding spark back in and how much. And once I add that timing in I assume I would also go back into the VE table and add fueling to those areas right, is there like a rule of thumb on timing advance vs fuel addage?

I'm not aiming for more than stock timing since I don't have my KRs enabled so I can't tell if its knock, but I would assume if the table is just being restored to values the LT1 likes then it shouldn't be a problem

Senior Tuner
    Is that tune file did you already adjust VE based on the logs? Are you clearing LTFT's after each tune revision/flash?

Tuner in Training
    Yep the adjusted file attached, logs from that one in the 47th run file, no data higher up in the rpms though.

And yes I clear the LTFTs when for every new log

Senior Tuner
    Too bad you can't push it further. You're pretty much doing only half the table right now.

Tuner in Training
    Yea unfortunately, I'd have to dedicate a couple of hours to go out of the city and find some back stretches.

Feel like at that point it's probably just worth to pay for some dyno time.

Guess there isn't much I can adjust for in the lower half of the table? I feel like there's some pep in the step still missing, but the LT1 timing tables I've seen actually have less advance than what this base file has, so not sure what I can do there.

In the meantime I'll adjust the lower half for MAF and then figure out a solution for the higher rpm values

Tuner in Training
    Hmm I'm wondering if the values in tunerpro are done in kPa for the MAP vs RPM on the spark advance tables

If so I can cross reference the stock values file using this method.

Setup the RPM vs MAP in a similar fashion in hp tuners.

For example 800 rpm at 25kpa I'm at 27 degrees of timing, in the tunerpro file I can see that the base value is at 26

hptunervstunerpro.png

Then switch over to the table where I have the values done in cylinder airmass

advance.png

And then actually adjust the value back to stock in hp tuners. And essentially do this for every cell so I can build the stock LT1 timing table.

hptuners.png

I realize that the values shown in in my tables have values pulled from the modifiers but it still doesn't matter since I'm replacing the base value. The only question is in terms of spark modifiers is how hp tuners vs tunerpro does it and adjust those also. But to start with, get the timing table exactly stock.

Senior Tuner
    It's possible that spark advance is too high in certain areas. This will actually decrease torque even without knock present.

Tuner in Training
    Well this is an interesting one, just to preface i'm only talking about idle and cruising speeds right now

I decided to just port over the timing tables from another file that I had of a car with similar setup to mines. His car was dynoed but the settings of his file were pretty much stock LS1 stuff

Immediately noticed a pretty good improvement in idle and throttle response, the odd part is, my VE settings weren't even touched but the trims are within -5/+5, I tried to port over his VE table and the car would barely run.

So I think I'll use this timing setup as a base, clean up the VE a bit more, do MAF for idle/cruise. Then get out of the city and tune for the higher end.

the after:
    50thrun.hpl
    SDtuning2.hpt

the before:
    47thrun.hpl
    SDtuning.hpt

I guess the biggest issue right now is cruising and gear shifting. Feel like there's a slight stumble preventing me from having smooth shifts, on throttle it's fine but especially just coasting it's not the greatest, not sure what to look into for that
    Last edited by toonwarrior; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:53 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Glad you're making progress.