Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spark advance excessive for unknown reason?

Tuner in Training
    Oh thanks so much that?s the info I needed! Will def upgrade os then!

I had set msg fail frequency & error codes but not dfco - what does that do?

I will upgrade the os tomorrow and see what it?s like - I?d like that 2nd spark table back again for a bad tank of fuel & the secondary Ve table is rubbish isn?t it?as luck has it all the areas I need to add fuel the most are the lines missing from the table lol

Slowly working this out with all the contributions on here

Senior Tuner
    DFCO cuts fuel during deceleration. If you disable that fuel cut you'll be able to map out VE down there since the fuel trims will still be operational.

Tuner in Training
    Ok Guys, I have successfully installed the SD O/s upgrade!

One thing I'm a little confused with - the secondary VE table looks the same....does the upgrade mean the primary VE is now used again? And does it mean the high octane table is used again?

It's not really visible what the differences are with the upgrade thats all.....I initially wondered if it didn't work but if I go into calibration details I can see the speed density enhanced is uploaded.

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Oh I think I've worked it out....the secondary table only opened bc I had it saved in favourites....but if I got to the airflow > general then under Main VE there is only the Primary table showing and the Multi Table. So I think its safe to presume it only uses the primary table now!

Senior Tuner
    Something I forgot to mention in addition to DFCO. Yours is a Platform V, so you have lean cruise. Disable that while tuning because it's OL. The enleanment offset is compensated by LTFT just like PE is. After you get done tuning turn those things back on.

Again, ignore this idiot:
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    As for lean cruise you may find some hack or crack to do it using the OEM controls...

Tuner in Training
    Mine unfortunately doesn't have the lean cruise tab....but it's something I would like to try and add.

Here's my latest tune and log....have lots more advance now (based on 2000 hsv) and leaned out the power enrichment reasonably to low 12 afr.

Have some work to do on the VE tables still....had been tinkering around with it without turning of dfco so I have to do it properly yet and work out how those settings all work.

Overall seems to be quite good now - spark jumps around a lot & I'm still trying to get my head around where it is modified - at 4:18 when I floored it spark jumps around from 8 - 13.8 at 3347rpm then drops to 6.6 at 5095rpm - at 5095rpm high octane table says 23.5, low octane says 19....IAT takes out .3*11 = 4 so I should have minimum 15?
    Unless torque control is kicking in or something?WH MAFLESS UG os HSV SPARK FULL.hpt19March7.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Ah ok for some reason I thought this was an '01.

Smooth out your spark tables and do something about the high IAT's.

Tuner in Training
    Nah its a 2000 model so that lean cruise is disabled.....but I hope to patch it with pchacking if I can work it out!

Yeah I need to work on them more but I'm just confused as to where the final advance figures come from....they don't equal what I think they should - which must mean I'm missing something again...

Tuner in Training
    Hi guys does anyone have any tips or links on how to use the IAT tables?
    I have been searching but can't really find much info on them....ie. what do the multi and multi2 tables do / how do they both relate to IAT base table?

As I understood it the Multi table is the multiplier for the IAT base which means in my tune above the IAT multiple at 3600 rpm is .3 so the spark is reduced by .3 x the amount shown in the IAT Base.

Now does multi2 table override this? Does the pcm just work out the higher result and pull that timing?

My multi2 table pulls 1.00 at engine temps over 85 so maybe each mult table is calculated seperately and the pcm pulls the full amount in the IAT table?

Although that doesnt fully explain where the timing is all going either.....at 4:18 of my log the advance is only 6.8 degrees....when it is supposed to be 23.5.

Even if the full 11 is removed that's 12.5....not 6.8! Or if it was on low octane table instead it would be 19 - 11 = 8....is there a way to know what table it is operating from? There was no knock detected so I wouldn't have thought it woudl be on low octane table......

So confused!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-19-2024 at 10:50 PM.

Senior Tuner
    IAT*IAT1*IAT2.

It's hard to track what's going on with the main spark all jagged like that. Smooth it out and relog. Bring IAT's down. 150 is a problem regardless of the symptoms you're trying to address.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks - the spark tables are basically modified copies of the HSV table...basically figured they put a lot of research into those so they should be pretty good!

I'll try smoothing spark out a bit and see if it makes it easier to see whats happening - I've had to pull over so many times and reduce timing in little sections due to knock - which also is why there's some areas looking jagged.....probably reflashed it 50 times so far to reduce knock lol

I have to put a new cold air intake on to try & reduce IATs.....I'm in Qld so it's always 30 degrees outside which means A/C is always on so its very tricky to get intake temps down......was just trying to get a handle on how the mult and multi2 tables interact but it doesn't seem like anyone really knows and it isn't explained well by the descriptions.

Senior Tuner
    Really. It's IAT*IAT1*IAT2.

Down the tables is additive. Base+Fuel+IAT+ECT+EGR+Catalyst Heating.

On the base tables, highlight all then press the 'Smooth Selection' button 3-5 times. Copy the 1.12 row into the 1.16 and 1.20 rows to fix edge smoothing.

Select all of Low octane. Copy-with-axis then paste into the Idle Spark Advance tables. Set 0rpm,0.08g to 800rpm,0.28g to 18 degrees then smooth that transition by hand if needed.

Post your new tune and log.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 03-20-2024 at 12:41 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Ohhh sorry now I know what you mean!

So if it's IAT base X multi X multi2....in my tune nothing reduces timing at all until temps of 85 deg Celsius ECT when multi2 goes from 0 to 1.

Then it is essentially calculated by base x multi....which should only be reducing timing by .3 above 3600 rpms. So .3 x -11 = -4.

ECT isn't taking anything out at readings of .66 cyl airmass and 95 celsius & neither is fuel or egr or catalyst.

So I still don't understand how the timing is reduced by approx 16 degrees?