Thread: Brand new to tuning

Tuner in Training

Cool Brand new to tuning

im brandnew to tuning anything. i have very very minimal knowledge, im taking courses however. Can anyone tell me a good place to start to tune my truck? 2005 f250, 285/150 injectors, s372, LP, RR, all supporting mods. id like a good street tune and a hot max effort tune. i understand the basics, but what tables do i physically change? HOW do i change them? eGr stuff? any any any info is very appreciated. If possible id also like to do some sort of launch control on the hot tune. ive seen a few guys with it. limited to 2500 and let boost build and come off the brake to WOT. Thanks!

I did a write up in here on the basics (my way)

Being brand new with that big of an injector is going to be a pain unless you get someone to help you with your FICM. I have never tuned anything over 190/50?s

But basics are pretty much the same.

Link for the write up I did

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-Tuning-guide

Tuner in Training
    What tables get adjusted for bigger injectors? How much more would i bring said tables vs a stock injector? As well as, how do you determine where to put said tables for X size injector?

Injectors are all in the FICM injector PW 1 (PW 2 is never used, I have never seen it used at least)

The way I do it is reduce PW in the idle up to just below WOT.

Some injectors like a little more Injection Control Pressure also. I can?t remember which brand but there is one out there that likes roughly 800-1000psi at idle.

I could be doing it wrong but that?s how I got them to idle more smoothly.

Tuner in Training
    so tables arent necessarily modified differently to accomodate larger injectors, rather they just flow what they flow? and the only manipulations that vary are for idle quality? also where is the FICM inj PW in editor?

Tuner
    Decrease injection pulse bigger injector flow more in same amount of time.if it?s hot and Smokey can add timing once you get it close. Add injection psi if possible I tune common rail but theory is the same
    Last edited by Jeffrey Kavney; 03-10-2024 at 09:51 AM.

Tuner in Training
    is there a calculator or table of some kind to see how much of a decrease you should do for a given injector size?

Tuner
    Most injector company?s have that info Im sure you can get it upon request

You would think they would but as we all know in the diesel tuning world things are kept so tight knit that they probably won?t tell you.

Be easier to almost guess lol

Jeff is right though you want to decrease your PW in the normal running areas. There is 2 ways to do this.

FICM tuning or ICP spoofing. Please stay away from ICP spoofing.. it?s not the correct way but that?s my opinion.

With HPtuners you have access to the FICM.

Decrease your PW table 1 by a certain percentage and then log it and how it runs. If it doesn?t feel/sound right go back to the log and see what might be happening. Either increase or decrease it depending on how it reacts. It?s going to be ALOT of logging and tuning involved especially if your just starting out and running that big of an injector

Tuner in Training
    I dont seem to have the FICM tab on my file. Is something wrong? Did it not pull from the truck for some reason?

Tuner in Training
    its because you didnt read out the ficm. usually when you read out the ficm it will give you an internet file.

Tuner in Training
    Apparently my FICM has been previously tuned and has been masked somehow so it wont read.

Tuner in Training
    factory ficm.hpt
    you can add this to your controller and tune if you want to start from scratch.