Thread: LGX/LGZ - OK to drive with the cams parked at 0 degrees to tune VVE?

LGX/LGZ - OK to drive with the cams parked at 0 degrees to tune VVE?

Can anyone verify from experience that it's fine to drive around with the cams parked at 0 degrees to log data for tuning VVE? I can't find whether these engines have an interference design, and I want to be certain I won't run into any PTV clearance issues.

The camshafts are linked to the crankshaft via the timing chain, so whether you're at idle or 7000 RPM the cams (and valves) will always be in the same position relative to the crank (and pistons) for a given VVT setting, so no worries.

With that said, on my 2015 Camaro (LFX) I locked cams at 0 and ran all the way to redline with no issues. Can really notice a reduced performance at higher RPMs when the cams are at 0...

Also, regarding clearance issues, if a component were to fail, like a cam actuator/actuator solenoid for example, the cams could be forced full retard, or full advance, or they could get stuck where they are, and if there were any clearance issues with respect to VVT the engine could get trashed because a non-critical/relatively cheap part failed, so it would make sense not allow VVT to create any clearance issues (not to say there aren't any engines like this, but I'd think the LGX isn't one: see first post https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484209)
    Last edited by KillboyPowerhead; 03-11-2024 at 09:09 AM.

Potential Tuner
    The engine idles with the cams parked. You're good.

That all makes sense. Thanks, guys