Thread: AEM X-series AFR error and EQ error showing opposite numbers

Potential Tuner

AEM X-series AFR error and EQ error showing opposite numbers

Has anyone every experienced a wideband not displaying the correct Lambda values transformed in HP tuners?? I have a AEM X series and a pro link. I have one channel hooked up so I can see AFR and the other channel hooked up so I can see Lambda values. I used the pre built transforms to add in the wideband and I used the second option, AEM 30(etc), which is supposed to be for the X series. I have a P59 5.3 with flex fuel so when you log PID for commanded AFR and commanded EQ, I can see the 1 Lamba that is being commanded and then the proper AFR for the fuel blend. So in my case, 1 Lambda = 14.12 afr. When I look at my PID for the Wideband, it shows 1 Lamba but the AFR PID reads 14.65?? Shouldn't the wideband AFR read 14.12 in hp tuners when its at 1 lambda?? AEM says 1 lambda shows 14.65 on the gauge for AFR for gas. So when I log EQ at 1 lambda, which should be 14.12 for my fuel, my afr is showing 14.65 on the gauge and in hp tuners. My EQ error is about 0 but my AFR error is positive about 3.8% because its comparing the Commanded 14.12 to the wideband 14.65 because that's what is programmed for 1 lambda. Is there a way to make a custom transform or math to change the AEM conversion to display a reading of 1 Lambda for EQ and then the proper AFR at 14.12 in HP tuners?? When I compare my VE tables to fuel trims, I'm obviously showing lean in AFR error but I'm between +/- 1 in fuel trims and EQ error. I previously tuned VE and MAF in AFR and I was all over the place smh. Now I'm trying to tune in Lambda but I'm also OCD and want to verify everything using AFR as well. Can this be done? Any insight or advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by mitjo23 View Post
    Has anyone every experienced a wideband not displaying the correct Lambda values transformed in HP tuners?? I have a AEM X series and a pro link. I have one channel hooked up so I can see AFR and the other channel hooked up so I can see Lambda values. I used the pre built transforms to add in the wideband and I used the second option, AEM 30(etc), which is supposed to be for the X series. I have a P59 5.3 with flex fuel so when you log PID for commanded AFR and commanded EQ, I can see the 1 Lamba that is being commanded and then the proper AFR for the fuel blend. So in my case, 1 Lambda = 14.12 afr. When I look at my PID for the Wideband, it shows 1 Lamba but the AFR PID reads 14.65?? Shouldn't the wideband AFR read 14.12 in hp tuners when its at 1 lambda?? AEM says 1 lambda shows 14.65 on the gauge for AFR for gas. So when I log EQ at 1 lambda, which should be 14.12 for my fuel, my afr is showing 14.65 on the gauge and in hp tuners. My EQ error is about 0 but my AFR error is positive about 3.8% because its comparing the Commanded 14.12 to the wideband 14.65 because that's what is programmed for 1 lambda. Is there a way to make a custom transform or math to change the AEM conversion to display a reading of 1 Lambda for EQ and then the proper AFR at 14.12 in HP tuners?? When I compare my VE tables to fuel trims, I'm obviously showing lean in AFR error but I'm between +/- 1 in fuel trims and EQ error. I previously tuned VE and MAF in AFR and I was all over the place smh. Now I'm trying to tune in Lambda but I'm also OCD and want to verify everything using AFR as well. Can this be done? Any insight or advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
    I wouldn't get caught up in all that for my idle and part throttle use your narrow band ltft tune your idle and part throttle and use your wideband for wot. You afr error is gonna be your command vs actual wide band reading but your o2s are gonna try to maintain a lambda 1
    Last edited by codykeen0923; 03-01-2024 at 09:56 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for replying. I agree, im not overly concerned about idle and cruise, im in closed loop and the narrow bands are doing their thing. But at WOT, my AFR error is technically off because its showing lean when its actually not lean. Using the wideband the way its set up now, is telling me to add fuel and would be making me rich. For example, on e85, my truck commanded EQ is 1 and the afr commanded is 9.87. So when im a 1 lambda the EQ error is basically 0 but the AFR error is something like 49% because the Wideband is reading 14.65 still. Is there anyway to transform the wideband to be scaled so it inputs 9.87 instead of 14.65? I know i should just tune in lambda and not worry about AFR but id like to be able to adjust so they both show up correctly. that being said, Id have to adjust the math or transform for every AFR im tuning for.

Widebands don't tune in afr they use lambda when you see 14.65 it's the same as 9.87 tune the same way in afr with your wideband as if you were on regular gas. I wouldn't get caught up in afr I'd just tune for lambda 1 and make sure your stoich table is set right. There is a way to transform the math but I don't know exactly the figures you would need in order to do it.
    Last edited by codykeen0923; 03-02-2024 at 08:51 AM.