Thread: LS Swap ECU/OS question

LS Swap ECU/OS question

I have the opportunity to work on a LS swapped vehicle. Not new to this, but this time I am involved in picking the electronics, instead of working around what someone else has done. I would like to make my life easier and provide the best driving experience when it is all completed. I get to pick the ECM and the OS and the wiring harness will be built according to my request. I can flash the ECM with SPS, so no problems there. I just don't know of all the configurations GM had for the Gen 3 engines. The engine will be built as follows:

Gen3 6.0L (GMPP Crate LS364 to be exact)
    Supercharged with an Edelbrock TVS2300
    4L60 (2WD)
    Drive by Wire

Is there a better/best ECU and OS that I should be using? Since he requests drive by wire, is there one that won't require a sperate TAC module?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of all the gen3 computers/os combos will help me pick the right direction.

No Gen 3 PCM had the TAC integrated, they all have to use the external box. Only starting with the E40 did the external TAC go away.

Does GM really sell an engine that's 24x/1x, or will you be swapping out the reluctor, or will you be using the Lingenfelter converter box? Gen 3 PCMs, and the E40, are 24x only. E67 & E38 are 58x only.

It is a 24x/1x

I was hoping to avoid E40's. But I may have to use it. My last E40 was in a SSR and I had injector scaling issues and MAP sensors issues. At that time no custom OS's were available from HPT.

The S/C he has was for his old LS3 Camaro, so that's what I have to work with. I agree with him that aesthetically and physically a cable throttle would be ugly and difficult to get to work. This is only going to have 500ish RWHP, so maybe 5-6Lbs of boost. So maybe the issues I had on the SSR won't play into effect here.

Since HPT seems to offer more customizations on the Vette OS's maybe an 05 Vette E40 would fit my needs? I guess I'll have to research that possibility. I would like to use the GM LSA MAP sensor as that's already installed. I usually use Injector Dynamics for my injectors, but I didn't see anything smaller that the ID1050x. Maybe I should use a set of LSA injectors. That shouldn't exceed the scaling parameters on the ECM and should provide enough fuel for his needs.

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a P59 and have the TAC module. Those ECUs seem to have a lot of tuning customizations.

I'm open to suggestions

E40 can't use the LSA/LS9 MAP, that one is more than the Linear limit of 256kPa and it has a negative Offset. It's not hard to make your own 2.5-bar sensor though:
    LSA 2.5bar.jpg
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...250A6U/1619109
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/1212

E40s are damn expensive seeing as they were so short-lived. But injector scaling shouldn't be an issue, it can go up to 136lb-hr with the 'simple' (non-airflow) scaling method.

What custom stuff does the '05 Vette have that the others don't?

2006 SSR LS2 M6 1GCES14HX6B121492 (OS 12612557).hpt

One more thing, just as a reminder to not rule it out or not consider it at all... sometimes, reusing a stock ECM/PCM isn't the right choice in a swap vehicle. Lots of limitations and quirks and pain-in-the-ass workarounds from using a thing for something it was never designed for. Aftermarket ECU is often the smarter, easier, better choice, and usually not all that much more money when all's said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    One more thing, just as a reminder to not rule it out or not consider it at all... sometimes, reusing a stock ECM/PCM isn't the right choice in a swap vehicle. Lots of limitations and quirks and pain-in-the-ass workarounds from using a thing for something it was never designed for. Aftermarket ECU is often the smarter, easier, better choice, and usually not all that much more money when all's said and done.
    Thanks for the info on the MAP sensor, I haven't seen that before. Last time I made an aluminum adapter that mounted where the LS3 style MAP went in and had a mount for the LS1 style with hold down. It worked fine but wasn't the prettiest looking piece.

As far as the OS upgrades, my statement was more of a generality I've experienced. I haven't touched an E40 since '16 (that was the SSR). Other than that, was on my personal '06 GTO.

That's interesting you say you like aftermarket ECU's more than OEM. It's been my personal experience the complete opposite. I like the aftermarket units for the benefit of not having the limitations OEM computers can have, however they are never as comprehensive, especially when it comes to diagnosing issues. That and the OEM computers are far more reliable; and I can tell by driving the car whether it's got an OEM computer or aftermarket. Something about them makes them just a little bit more raw, not as refined as you can make one drive with an OEM setup. Although it is dependent on what I am ultimately building, I still favor the OEM computers. I am excited to see how the HPT Core ECUs are going to be though. Just out of curiosity, have you had any experience with them yet?

Nope, I'm what you would call a poor person. Though I occasionally forget this and get a wild hair to tackle some crazy project and usually realize after starting that it's something I should not be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Nope, I'm what you would call a poor person. Though I occasionally forget this and get a wild hair to tackle some crazy project and usually realize after starting that it's something I should not be doing.
    Well, you do have a "wealth" of knowledge. I don't post much but do lurk a lot. I know from seeing your replies to others the amount of knowledge you have shared. Thank you for your advice here.