Thread: Flat graphics in 360 video

Potential Tuner

Flat graphics in 360 video

Is it possible to render data overlays so they appear flat in a 360 video projected out in front of you rather than wrapped around? I am able to do this with 2D graphics in regular video editing software such as DaVinci Resolve. I understand it does require some 3D rendering with OpenGL rather than just pasting the overlay on the video directly. Alternatively, is it possible to export the data graphics generated by RaceRender alone with a transparent background instead of video so it can be imported and used in this way in regular video editing software?

Potential Tuner
    I was actually able to kind of accomplish what I'm talking about by exporting a 2D data video with a Blue Screen shape as the background in racerender, making that color transparent in davinci resolve, then using the 3D transform tools to make it appear flat in front of the 360 camera video. I am still having a small issue though, the aliasing on the data overlay captured some of the color of the blue screen background and makes it look funny. I am having trouble fixing this to my satisfaction with the davinci color settings. It would be nice if there were an option to export from racerender with hard pixel edges/no aliasing or even better simply with an alpha layer/transparent background.

Potential Tuner
    Best I could manage. Pardon the triple post and messy garage. Still seems kind of fuzzy even with pixel based fonts unfortunately, I used 4K everywhere but I guess it's just too many transforms.

For comparison the "pasted on a sphere" look. Graphics sure look nicer though, might end up just sticking with this if it's impossible to get a clean look with all the transforms.

Also a lot less work, don't even have to touch any other video editing software, which maybe makes more sense for my amateur racing videos that get a few hundred views haha.
    Last edited by srogers; 02-27-2024 at 07:49 PM.