Thread: License and credits

Tuner in Training

License and credits

I recently bought MPVI3 and 2 credits to tune my 2013 Tahoe with an L96 (6.0) conversion. I dont want to get caught up buying more credits than necessary to work on my vehicle. I assume my credits were used when I first saved my vehicles file in VCM editor, which I thought would marry the VIN to the credits.

Now my question is does any write have to be a modification of the exiting tune program or can a file be loaded from a repository tune, does that cost more licensing credits?

You should be able to write any number of times using the original tune you read. It may be updated, written, updated, written, etc. However, a repository tune should never be written as it stands and since it's a different tune will require additional credits should you decide to write it. You can copy any changes from a repository tune into your original tune file and write it with no additional credits required. Be sure to save your original tune file and name the updates something different so you'll always have your base tune if you need it.

Also, I don't think a read uses any credits on an MPVI3 device. Someone may have more information about this.

Tuner in Training
    I have registered my MPVI3 and my account shows my 2 credits. But I cannot find how/where to apply the credits to my device so I can write.

It prompts you for credits when you go to write to something that it doesn't have a license for yet.

Also be aware that if you did a full read with the fuel pump control module it will ask for a 3rd credit. To prevent this, you can re-read the file and only select the PCM/TCM and leave the FSCM unchecked.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.