Thread: Racerender suddenly doesn't recognize HEVC codec

Potential Tuner

Racerender suddenly doesn't recognize HEVC codec

Suddenly RaceRender doesn't want to import any video from a Gopro, (9) or anything I've rendered using Vegas Pro.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled RR, as well as the MS HEVC Video extension multiple times, and rebooted multiple times.

Nothing. Any thoughts on what happened? It was working not too long ago. I have play HEVC on everything else.

I normally use RR to do a PIP with a green screen as the main screen, render, and import to Vegas Pro and chroma key it out leaving only the gauges for super easy track-sliding time alignment using audio markers on the audio tracks.

racerender.JPG

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe there was some sort of Microsoft update that has introduced some compatibility issue?

I've generally found H.265 support in RaceRender to be hit or miss... (see here and here). I've had much better luck converting the H.265 videos back to H.264 MP4 files using Davinci Resolve (but I'm sure Vegas Pro could easily handle that too). It would be an extra step and extra file to store, but it should hopefully make the RR piece work much better.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboBob View Post
    Maybe there was some sort of Microsoft update that has introduced some compatibility issue?

I've generally found H.265 support in RaceRender to be hit or miss... (see here and here). I've had much better luck converting the H.265 videos back to H.264 MP4 files using Davinci Resolve (but I'm sure Vegas Pro could easily handle that too). It would be an extra step and extra file to store, but it should hopefully make the RR piece work much better.
    Could be. I found a workaround... I rerendered by base green screen some other rendering option in Vegas.
    Luckily RR doesn't have a problem with the A/V captured in TrackAddict.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Womac911 View Post
    Suddenly RaceRender doesn't want to import any video from a Gopro, (9) or anything I've rendered using Vegas Pro.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled RR, as well as the MS HEVC Video extension multiple times, and rebooted multiple times.

Nothing. Any thoughts on what happened? It was working not too long ago. I have play HEVC on everything else.

I normally use RR to do a PIP with a green screen as the main screen, render, and import to Vegas Pro and chroma key it out leaving only the gauges for super easy track-sliding time alignment using audio markers on the audio tracks.

racerender.JPG
    I noticed the same problem today as well! Last month i had no problem rendering videos from my go pro in Race Render. Today, black screen... I converted it, but it was all quite messy... Hope someone finds what changed/a workaround!

Karsten

Potential Tuner
    Same here. No GoPro videos will load as of just recently. If I open a previously saved project, only the audio shows in the Input Files section. Wasted $1 installing the Microsoft HEVC extensions, with no change.

Potential Tuner
    Hi, I bought the software yesterday and also get the same errors. I am using Windows 10 and bought the 1€ Microsoft HEVC Extension... I really wanted to use the software but am regretting it right now.
    It would be great if the Admins could check in and maybe help us out.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dime8902 View Post
    Hi, I bought the software yesterday and also get the same errors. I am using Windows 10 and bought the 1? Microsoft HEVC Extension... I really wanted to use the software but am regretting it right now.
    It would be great if the Admins could check in and maybe help us out.
    Same issue, used to work, now it doesn't. Hopefully they can fix it otherwise this software is useless.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vblackwing View Post
    Same issue, used to work, now it doesn't. Hopefully they can fix it otherwise this software is useless.
    Useless is pretty harsh. You can still convert back to H.264 to have everything work like it should. Not having H.265 support is a bummer, but the rest of the software should still work the same as it ever did.

Potential Tuner
    Useless is pretty harsh. You can still convert back to H.264 to have everything work like it should. Not having H.265 support is a bummer, but the rest of the software should still work the same as it ever did.
    Will you lose the GPS data from it if you do that?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vblackwing View Post
    Will you lose the GPS data from it if you do that?
    If you're extracting GPS data from the video itself, unfortunately yes you would lose GPS data if you keep recording the videos in H.265.

However, it's pretty easy to change the settings on a GoPro to record using H.264 for future videos though which would allow you to still use the GPS data and have much better compatibility in RaceRender. On my GoPro Hero 8 Black, it's under Preferences > General > Video Compression > H.264 + HEVC (as opposed to just HEVC), but I assume it would be similar for other models too. This will make the videos themselves slightly larger in size, but I think that tradeoff is worth it for the ability to use it in RaceRender without any HEVC issues.

Potential Tuner
    If you're extracting GPS data from the video itself, unfortunately yes you would lose GPS data if you keep recording the videos in H.265.

However, it's pretty easy to change the settings on a GoPro to record using H.264 for future videos though which would allow you to still use the GPS data and have much better compatibility in RaceRender. On my GoPro Hero 8 Black, it's under Preferences > General > Video Compression > H.264 + HEVC (as opposed to just HEVC), but I assume it would be similar for other models too. This will make the videos themselves slightly larger in size, but I think that tradeoff is worth it for the ability to use it in RaceRender without any HEVC issues.
    Ok, lets me hop in my time machine, back 3 months when the problem didn't exist and retake the video. Yea, you solve the issue going to H.264 for the future, but not the past. I'm just glad GoPro is releasing their new software which will be able to do for the most part what RaceRender did.