Thread: Removed MAF for SD only, now won't idle

Advanced Tuner

Removed MAF for SD only, now won't idle

BLUF:

?truck? iron block 5.3, removed MAF, installed LS1 style 2 wire IAT. Vehicle won?t idle now.
    (flat top/shaved heads/cam/CNC?d heads/headers/3600 stall/etc)

For the last year(s) vehicle has ran perfect, plenty fast, tuned, retuned (or updated) in cold weather and even raining to get that humidity in there. VE/MAF/timing all good for this vehicle.

Now getting ready to finish the under hood and decided the old MAF and intake tube doesn?t fit the build anymore. Removed old intake tube and MAF and installed LS1 style real GM IAT into manifold. IAT has been verified and works.

The vehicle will start, and idle for about 10 seconds then die.

Using controls have forced closed loop and upped idle to 1200 rpms. Still dies around 7-10 seconds.
    I?m sure I missed something on the ?tune? for going MAFless as it was late last night.

Please look and see if there is blatantly something I have missed and need to learn for going to this closed loop, MAFless tune.
    Thank you.

compare file from 7 or 8 monhts ago for usage to see what has been done to tune compare file.hpt

CL speed density feb 21 2024.hpt
    wont idle2.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    thank you for that.
    If i now dont have a MAF wouldnt I want it like that so it wont illuminate the CEL?

If it can't run those tests and then fail it can't know the MAF isn't there and it won't be in speed density. Setting one of those codes is the only way it will run. If you don't want the light to be on, there is a little checkbox you can untick.

Senior Tuner
    Set them to MIL on First Error and uncheck the box for the SES light. This will force SD.

Advanced Tuner
    If it can't run those tests and then fail it can't know the MAF isn't there and it won't be in speed density..
    makes complete sense

there is a little checkbox you can untick.
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated