Thread: AEM issues with P59

Tuner in Training

AEM issues with P59

Have an AEM 30-0334 and MPVI3 and I am not seeing OBD Controller Unknown under my channel list and can't get any of the info into my scanner for logging. ECU is a P59 from a 2005 2500HD. Anyone run into this issue? The gauge itself is working great, tried moving the ECM and Pids around to see if it would show up when I would repoll and nothing shows up. Saw someone mentioned that this doesn't work on older ECMs and I don't understand why since the MPVI is reading directly from the AEM...

On an unrelated (hopefully) note, the scanner refuses to log any MAF frequency logs, I have my MAF showing under my channels and I see the frequency fluctuating while I drive, but nothing is being logged. I used to goat rope garage table and have tried using three different inputs for three different tables (to cover all the MAF frequency outputs) and again, nothing. I tuned the MAF table by watching my Hz and matching it to what I saw on the gauge and got it very close. I'd say from 3500 hz to 4500 hz it was about 4% rich so I'd .96X the values, 4500-5500 was 3% rich so I'd .97X the values, etc. Now it's all .99 lambda to 1.00 lambda except at the top, 8k and up, where it is a .98 because looking at two different screens while doing a WOT pull is not safe.

0334 Is the CAN wideband.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post717635

You need to hard wire this. That thread explains it.

Tuner in Training
    Why would they not mention any of this on their website (hptuners) for this AFR gauge? It talks about all the compatibility and nothing about needing to hardwire it.

P01/P59 do not have CAN, only Gen 4's do. AEM very very clearly states (though somewhat inaccurately, since the Gen 4 E40 with CAN appeared in 2005) that the -0334 is for 2008 and newer.

Tuner in Training
    AEM might, but HP tuners says ?Please ensure your vehicle is CAN-based, as this is required for this product to function.? And that is super obvious to someone who has never tuned before. I appreciate the response though, helps me fix this moving forward.

Can I use a RS232 to usb to generate this data?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ivancolesnic View Post
    AEM might, but HP tuners says ?Please ensure your vehicle is CAN-based, as this is required for this product to function.? And that is super obvious to someone who has never tuned before. I appreciate the response though, helps me fix this moving forward.

The spot I checked on the HPT, the 3rd party product page says "Please ensure your vehicle is CAN-based, as this is required for this product to function."
    https://www.hptuners.com/product/aem...troller-gauge/

DAMN IT, wrong pic, let me try again

screenshot.19-02-2024 13.17.06.png

So I watch Japanese news streams on Youtube, at least I'm not watching Real Housewives Of American Idol, or whatever crap all of TV has turned into these days...

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Yes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, for a tuning noob that?s really obvious! I see this is very similar to the other forums I have been on and now I remember why I stopped using those as well. No hate toward you guys, but being able to explain information to an idiot is a skill that should be honed. I am the idiot in this case. I realize you guys have experience and you earned it, but I can?t help but wonder how much time is wasted not reading carefully and instead answering with the equivalent of an eye roll. Blind squirrel, saw the linked thread and the poor guy asking if he should hook up his voltage output to the PCM and every time you answering with anything but ?but splice it into the AC pressure sensor pigtail!? Imagine his frustration combing through dozens and dozens of wires and schematics when the answer was so stupidly obvious to you. Anyway, you guys enjoy being unintentional gatekeepers.

Senior Tuner
    I think gatekeepers are needed on a tuning forum. Tuning is not for idiots and if you can't figure out certain things for yourself, then you probably shouldn't be tuning.

Senior Tuner
    What's the complaint here? Read the product manuals. You're the one who bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by ivancolesnic View Post

No you can't use an RS232. Why would you? If you read my post I linked to it clearly gives links to the cheap pigtail you use on your AEM. It is a simple setup that lets you use it for both. Even the scanner setup is in there. Can't be any easier. Don't over complicate it.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    No you can't use an RS232. Why would you? If you read my post I linked to it clearly gives links to the cheap pigtail you use on your AEM. It is a simple setup that lets you use it for both. Even the scanner setup is in there. Can't be any easier. Don't over complicate it.
    Don't gatekeep me with your gaslighting and red herrings, bro!

Goddamn spongebob generation.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Don't gatekeep me with your gaslighting and red herrings, bro!

Goddamn spongebob generation.
    Hahahaha. Unfortunately I'm more the Howdy Doody, drinking from the garden hose, come home for dinner at sundown generation.

Senior Tuner
    No no lol not you. The first part was my impression of OP. Second part was directed at him. Dude's menstruating at us like we're the ones who made him not read the AEM manual or something.