Thread: Question on VE tuning and PE

Potential Tuner

Question Question on VE tuning and PE

For starters I have been a member of HP Tuners for many years and gained a tremendous amount of tuning knowledge form all you seasoned tuners, for this I thank you all!
    I tune using lambda with my wideband. My process is to pull 4 or so degrees of timing from my low octane tables and copy this into my high octane table, add a percentage of fuel across the ve table depending on engine modifications made and then tune to stoich. Now I have read that one should leave PE enabled during this process but this doesn't make sense to me because then I would be leaning away the PE commanded richness that is later needed for safe power generation when your foots down.. So I disable it and complete my stoich tuning and when done with VE and Maf tuning I re-enable PE which is then commanded on top of my new stoich. Then of course I move back my timing tables. Please straighten me out if I need it!!

2001 silverado 6.0l

Retirement is genius...

You can filter out data in the logs that you don't need, that is why PE can still be and should be enabled while tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I suspected I was missing something, how do you filter out this data?

Each cell by hand?

You set up whatever math filters you wish to use on the histograms in the log. For instance, I set my wideband afr error histogram to only show data for cells where commanded fueling is < lambda 1. That allows me to tune stoich with narrowband corrections and pe with the wideband. You have vastly more filtering options available, but that is just a quick example of a simple one.

Senior Tuner
    if ur in PE or CL the error is still the same if ur 5% out and ur in PE ur still 5% out in the VE, the PE is just a multiplier of stoich so the error is still the same because the error uses commanded so if commanded changes from 1.0 to say .83 the error is still based on the .83 commanded, all u really need to filter out is the change from 1.0 to .83 as the WB is further down from the injectors so u get a half or second of false lean thats always in the logs to filter out

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    if ur in PE or CL the error is still the same if ur 5% out and ur in PE ur still 5% out in the VE, the PE is just a multiplier of stoich so the error is still the same because the error uses commanded so if commanded changes from 1.0 to say .83 the error is still based on the .83 commanded, all u really need to filter out is the change from 1.0 to .83 as the WB is further down from the injectors so u get a half or second of false lean thats always in the logs to filter out
    Thank you for explaining this to me. I didn't realize that the error used commanded lambda, now it makes sense.

GBull