Thread: Looking for guidance- 2007 Avalance 5.3 fresh DoD delete w/BTR stage 2 truck cam

Potential Tuner

Looking for guidance- 2007 Avalance 5.3 fresh DoD delete w/BTR stage 2 truck cam

My brother just did a DOD delete and cam upgrade on his 2007 Avalanche 4x4 with a 5.3. He installed a BTR stage 2 truck cam.
    I haven't touched my HP Tuners in 2+ years and since this is his work vehicle it needs to be solid and dependable so I don't want to waste a bunch of his (or my time) learning and practicing all over again.
    The only thing he changed is removed all the DoD garbage and swapped in a new cam. If someone can point in a direction where to start I would be beyond grateful and even willing to pay for a tune that I can load myself.

I am attaching his stock file as well as his cam info for reference.
    Quintin 2007 Avalanche.hpt

BTR Stage 2 truck Cam.jpg

Any suggestions/help appreciated.

Tuning Addict
    Use integral airflow to dial in your min air. You can rough it in to begin with by adding 2 or 3 g/s but try to get integral close to 0 after that. After you get it to where it'll idle, dial in the VE and MAF tables and go from there.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Use integral airflow to dial in your min air. You can rough it in to begin with by adding 2 or 3 g/s but try to get integral close to 0 after that. After you get it to where it'll idle, dial in the VE and MAF tables and go from there.
    Thank you for the response Greg, I appreciate it. I thought I responded the morning of your response but I see now that I must have failed to press send in my rush to get out the door.

This cam isn't a huge cam as you can see, do you think I will need to raise the idle rpm much if any at all or do you think it might be ok around stock idle rpm settings?

Thank you again
    Scott

Tuning Addict
    You'll probably want it around 700. Doesn't have to be. It'll just help with reversion so you won't have so many issues dialing in the fueling.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    You'll probably want it around 700. Doesn't have to be. It'll just help with reversion so you won't have so many issues dialing in the fueling.
    Thank you Greg,
    About to head out and start tinkering in a few. I will update with results and logs as needed.

Scott

Potential Tuner
    OK I am officially lost. I tried following this write up ( https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-tuning-guide ) but apparently everything has changed since that was written because I can hardly find half the settings posted and the settings I can find I am having trouble deciding how to adjust them to a starting point so I don't get so out of whack I spend all my time chasing my tail. It has been so long since I touched HPTuners that I have totally forgotten what little I learned when I bought the courses.

I made a log file of starting the truck before I touched anything so I could monitor how it was acting and hopefully be able to use the information to help get this thing to start and run smooth and dependable so he can get back in it to work and give my Tacoma back .

It started right up and after a few seconds of me feathering the throttle it idled on it's own and even handled going into gear without dying so I am a tiny bit hopeful.

Quintin 2007 Avalanche first start NO MODIFICATIONS.hpl

Scott

Tuning Addict
    All you need to do is add 2 or 3 to your min air table to get it running then use trims and tune in your fuel via MAF and VE adjustments. Your VE airflow right now is showing 2 g/s higher, which isn't a lot of difference surprisingly, but your'e also at a 550 rpm idle. That'll change with the idle increase. Fail the MAF and dial in your VE first. You can also dial both in at the same time. Up to you.

~Greg Huggins~

Welcome to the rabbit hole

I'm still tweaking an 07 LC9 with BTR Truck Norris
    It has required quite a bit more fiddling than I initially expected.

Honestly I am not familiar enough with the difference in cam profiles to know what you should expect,
    but GHuggins and some others here are very generous with their knowledge.

I think idle is a good place to start, but I highly suggest looking into injection timing SOIT EOIT as this seemed to be very important to my setup and affects nearly everything else.

Potential Tuner
    All you need to do is add 2 or 3 to your min air table to get it running then use trims and tune in your fuel via MAF and VE adjustments. Your VE airflow right now is showing 2 g/s higher, which isn't a lot of difference surprisingly, but your'e also at a 550 rpm idle. That'll change with the idle increase. Fail the MAF and dial in your VE first. You can also dial both in at the same time. Up to you.
    Am I supposed to switch these tables to g/s and add 2-3 to them or add 2-3 to the table the way it is shown (lb/hr)?

001.jpg

Scott

Tuning Addict
    Idle - airflow - airflow final minimum - change to g/s then add 2 or 3
    Last edited by GHuggins; 02-12-2024 at 06:08 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    I found a video by Matt Sanford ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QIR...sAEODi&index=9 ) and I followed these steps. Truck starts and runs ok. I made a log of cold starting and driving around for approximately 12 minutes. If you could help me understand what to look for in this log so that I better fine tune this I would be very grateful.

Quintin Fresh Start -001.hpl

The second log is a quick hot startup after we got back home.

Quintin Fresh Start -002-hot startup.hpl

Scott

Tuning Addict
    I hate to say it, but look up some of goatropes vids on how to set the scanner up and dial in the MAF and VE tables. If you flash the engine while it's hot wait for at least 20 minutes before logging for corrections. You can drive it for that 20 or let it idle. Better to drive it. Read up on tuning the MAF and VE at the same time in here. You can tune both models as you go. Use the tranny to get as much data as possible by using lower gears and varying your engine load via the pedal. You're pretty much doing basics at this point. There are a lot of other tables that really need to be dialed in, but you'll need to get familiar with these first.

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    I hate to say it, but look up some of goatropes vids on how to set the scanner up and dial in the MAF and VE tables. If you flash the engine while it's hot wait for at least 20 minutes before logging for corrections. You can drive it for that 20 or let it idle. Better to drive it. Read up on tuning the MAF and VE at the same time in here. You can tune both models as you go. Use the tranny to get as much data as possible by using lower gears and varying your engine load via the pedal. You're pretty much doing basics at this point. There are a lot of other tables that really need to be dialed in, but you'll need to get familiar with these first.
    Thank you Greg,
    I will look into that when I get home tonight. I appreciate you help and your patience.

Scott