Thread: Rookie with a question

Potential Tuner

Rookie with a question

Hello everyone!

I have been working on cars and building engines for quite sometime, recently swapped out an inline 6 for a rebuilt LQ4 in my Squarebody C10 with a SS2 cam, PAC 1219 springs, upgraded rockers, sheet metal intake, with some BOSCH 0280155931 injectors and a, 4L65e with a stock converter.

I got the truck tuned when it was first installed and drove it around but always felt sluggish, come to find out the rear gears are 3.08. I am swapping out the rear gears to 4.10s with a Posi unit but was told I need to get another tune done.

Given what I am going to get charged for a tune and possibly doing more mods down the line, I want to bite the bullet and get the MPVI3 with the serial cord since I have a wideband gauge already and learn at my own pace.

The question I have is, I understand I have to buy credits to rewrite the gear change but do I have to buy credits moving forward anytime I want to change anything on my tune? Some posts I find state I dont since I own the license for my tune, and other posts state I have to anytime i change and rewrite the tune.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Gpreciado327; 02-08-2024 at 05:16 PM.

Tuner in Training
    No, once you license that truck with 2 credits you will be able to make changes it from there on out .

Potential Tuner
    Hey thanks! I’ll place my order today!

Thanks again!

The credits/license you have to pay for is a combo of a specific VIN and a specific ECM hardware serial number. Don't change either of those and you don't have to pay again. Don't write somebody else's file from some other vehicle (different VIN).

Potential Tuner
    Perfect! I was getting told by a local tuner that I would have to pay$350 to get tuned after my gears and another $350 if I changed my torque converter down the road. ����*♂️

Senior Tuner
    That is probably if you were paying him to do it.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    That is probably if you were paying him to do it.
    I would be paying him to adjust the Tune from the 3.08 gears to the new 4.10’s, I have another guy installing the gears different shop.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Gpreciado327 View Post
    Perfect! I was getting told by a local tuner that I would have to pay$350 to get tuned after my gears and another $350 if I changed my torque converter down the road. ����*♂️
    That is absolutely ridiculous. Setting gear ratio is one of the easiest things you can do. I can change the gear ratio and setup the torque converter for you for free. All you need to do is buy the two credits to license your vehicle. Then you can write to it all you want. PM me or post here. Save you 600 bucks.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    That is absolutely ridiculous. Setting gear ratio is one of the easiest things you can do. I can change the gear ratio and setup the torque converter for you for free. All you need to do is buy the two credits to license your vehicle. Then you can write to it all you want. PM me or post here. Save you 600 bucks.
    Thanks man! I get it that money has to be made but I feel, if I was charged an hour of shop time that would be a great deal especially if I am going to continue to take it back since I was told to stick with the same tuner for ease of tuning. When I found out I can adjust as I want from you guys here I got pissed but I would have been more pissed if I would have paid for the tune and found out later.