Thread: Battery light issue after swap.

Potential Tuner

Battery light issue after swap.

I'll try to make a long story short because I bought the truck mid-swap and there's was a TON of things done wrong and I've spent a year sorting a lot of issues but where I'm at right now, I have what is originally a 2006 4.3 Silverado, swapped with a 5.3, using a 2004 wiring harness, 2004 PCM, but has a 2005 VIN number programmed to it. So I've done tons of diag to rule everything else out and the problem I am having is that the battery light stays on at all times with no DTCs set, I believe it's due to the truck not having a generator control module, but has a programmed VIN of a truck that did have one. I've disabled every single charging related DTC and tried every alternator setting combination in HPtuners with no change. It charges fine, I've been driving it for months this way. But I'm wondering what the easiest way to get rid of the light will be. Adding a GCM is not easy as the harness does not have the plug for it so I would be doing a lot of wiring. It seems like the easiest thing would be to change the software year to a 2004 so it no longer uses the GCM, but I'm not sure how to do this or what my other options are. I'm a seasoned dealer master tech but brand new to HPtuners. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Senior Tuner
    Probably reprogram with SDS to 2004 vin.

Senior Tuner
    Use your MDI to flash it with a VIN from a 04 with a 5.3L or get one from the repository and do a write entire with HPT. Either way you will have to re license the PCM. That is assuming you have already licensed the 05 calibration that is in it now since you said you have been turning off DTCs Might have to be re tuned for specifics of your truck.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Use your MDI to flash it with a VIN from a 04 with a 5.3L or get one from the repository and do a write entire with HPT. Either way you will have to re license the PCM. That is assuming you have already licensed the 05 calibration that is in it now since you said you have been turning off DTCs Might have to be re tuned for specifics of your truck.
    Yeah I knew that was an option but that's what I was afraid of, it's already been licensed and tuned for the cam that's in it. I was hoping there was a way to change the software in HPtuners and not have to redo everything.

Senior Tuner
    Not when you are changing model years.

Senior Tuner
    04 and 05 calibrations are close enough table wise that once converted you can load the 05 calibration as a compare file and copy over the differences for the cam and other things that might be different like rear gear ratio, tire size, shift tables, etc......