Thread: Does the FBody code have a trnsmission limp mode?

Tuner in Training

Does the FBody code have a trnsmission limp mode?

so I'm having this rather strange issue...
    While tuning my 99 Trans Am with a 4l80e swap and a PCM4Less adapter (love that thing!) but when I get on it the transmission suddenly decides it doesn't want to go into 4th or overdrive (as far as I can tell) until the car is shut off. Is there some sort of limp mode these go into under certain circumstances that I am hitting?

I included a tune but I don't have a log that has anything relevant in it...

thanks!
    Gary
    1999 Trans Am, Ebay turbo, SS2 Cam, 4L80E...pray for me

Tuner in Training
    Max torque limit in engine torque management?
    Without a log I think it's gonna be tough to see.

Senior Tuner
    Have you tried scanning for codes when this happens?
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    yeah no codes. let me try to pull a log today and see if I can capture anything...are there any PID's I should pull to check for something like that?

Senior Tuner
    Is the brake switch wired in?

Tuner in Training
    yeah brake switch works and it unlocks the TCC.

so after playing with the torque management settings I think that may have fixed it. Turns out this car has been tuned previously and someone disabled all torque management on the transmission but did nothing on the engine. I re-enabled on the tranny with the reduction cut in half and disabled it on the engine while bumping up the torque value to 640 and so far I haven't been able to make it happen again. fingers crossed this is one more little issue knocked out...thanks everyone!
    Last edited by magius231; 02-06-2024 at 07:29 AM.