Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Impala 3.6 LFX - Overkill 87 tune - audible pre-igniton under power

Tuner in Training

2013 Impala 3.6 LFX - Overkill 87 tune - audible pre-igniton under power

I got the Overkill tunes for my 2013 Impala a few years ago, ran well on the 91 tune. After switching to the 87 tune I can hear it pre-igniting (or pinking as I call it) under power / uphill.

I emailed Will a few weeks ago asking for help in solving this problem, have not got a reply.

The question is, how do I solve this problem?

I have the HP Tuners tool, I'm maybe hoping someone can help walk me through what data I need to collect, how to analyze it or what to look for, and what changes need to be made.

The other alternatives I have are to put the factory tune back for 87, or take the car to someone with a dyno and spend some money on getting it dialed in.

Appreciate anyone who might be-able to help me out.

Post the tune you are using now and a log file that includes knock retard in it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply.

After posting I had the thought that after I flashed the 87 tune, I didn't disconnect the battery to reset/clear any stored data nor do I recall it going through a relearn period. Couple weeks ago I did that, noticed that it went through the usual relearn period, after that I have not been able to hear it pre-igniting (at least), and it seems to be running better than before - since its winter I cant be 100% sure that has fixed it.

I'll capture a log next chance I get.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Post the tune you are using now and a log file that includes knock retard in it.
    Attached is the tune and the log.

The car has just had 100k mile service done 2 days ago, new plugs, EFI clean, all fluids changed etc.

The fairly steep hill I can sometimes hear pinking is about 2 minutes in, after that just some random acceleration here and there on the streets back to home.

Hopefully that has useful data.

LH_IMP13_OK87_240302a.hpl
    Attachment 143459

The random part throttle knock is likely going to be hard to ever get rid of. It could be real or it could be picking up vibrations.

The knock that shows up when you are deeper into the throttle it something you can try to work on. I'd personally try to make PE happen sooner to see if that stops the knock. Try lowering the throttle percent to 60%, lower the enable torque to 40% and the delay torque from 100% down to 40% as well. I'd be curious if doing that will help stop those knock spike around 3,000rpm and 70ish percent throttle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    The changes to the cam timing are bs. I spent several hours on the dyno with a 16 impala and the gm tables were spot on. Picked up 2-3hp moving the tables 1* or less only out toward the top end.

Senior Tuner
    Every knock event occurs during high MAP and Commanded EQ=1. Seems to me an easy fix would be to adjust PE so that it comes online when it needs to. See attached.

You should be logging Cylinder Airmass to see where KR actually occurs.

Also, MAF looks like it needs some work. Log Mass Airflow Frequency so you can make corrections.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 03-03-2024 at 01:23 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Every knock event occurs during high MAP and Commanded EQ=1. Seems to me an easy fix would be to adjust PE so that it comes online when it needs to. See attached.

You should be logging Cylinder Airmass to see where KR actually occurs.

Also, MAF looks like it needs some work. Log Mass Airflow Frequency so you can make corrections.
    Thanks for the info and file. I'll look for and add those options to the logging next chance I get.

Tuner in Training
    I used the tune provided by SiriusC1024.

Attached is the log from today with the extra options (hopefully I found the right ones!)

LH_IMP13_OK87_240318a.hpl

Same as last time the steep hill is around 5 minutes in, there was stop start traffic leading up to it from where I can stop somewhere and start the log. After that couple jabs on the accelerator here and there.

Today was bit warmer around 65F, didn't hear any pre-igniting, seemed like it ran a little better with the PE changes, but hard to tell

Senior Tuner
    Ok. Put High Octane, VCP, and Fuel>Gas spark back to stock.

Tuner in Training
    Ok. Put High Octane, VCP, and Fuel>Gas spark back to stock.
    These all appear to be in Spark > Advance:

Base > High Octane
    Fuel > Gas
    VCT > VCP Spark

Correct?

Senior Tuner
    Yep those. Did you change them? If you don't have a stock reference there's a 2013 Impala 3.6 in the repository.

Tuner in Training
    Yep those. Did you change them? If you don't have a stock reference there's a 2013 Impala 3.6 in the repository.
    I have the original factory tune I saved before anything was changed.

I'll make those changes, and get another log. Might be a few days again.

Tuner in Training
    Here's the log after making the changes of those settings back to stock tune.

PE_ST1_OK87_IMP13.hpl

I also compared the stock tune in the repo, exactly the same as mine except for one flex fuel setting (mine aint flex fuel so is was disabled).

Senior Tuner
    The VCT tables are different in the stock file. Did you put those back, too?

Tuner in Training
    The VCT tables are different in the stock file. Did you put those back, too?
    Yes these were set back to stock (double checked):

Spark > Advance:

Base > High Octane
    Fuel > Gas
    VCT > VCP Spark

Senior Tuner
    Airflow>Variable Camshaft

Tuner in Training
    All of the Airflow>Variable Camshaft settings back to stock, here is the log:

PE-ST2_VVT_OK87_IMP13.hpl

Senior Tuner
    If it's at a stock tune and you're still getting that much knock then it's a mechanical problem. Check for oil in the intake, plug condition, and do a seafoam cleaning through a vacuum line.

Tuner in Training
    100k mile service was done a few weeks ago (new plugs, EFI clean (intake was removed to do that), all fluids changed), nothing unusual was noticed or noted.

I might do the seafoam.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.