Thread: 411 PCM knock sensor compatibility

Potential Tuner

411 PCM knock sensor compatibility

I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to tune my LS3 swapped C5Z (likely the first of several posts to follow)

Engine is a crate LS3. Im using the lingenfelter crank/cam conversion box. I'm also running a trackspec radiator with IOC- the lines run quite close to the block on the driver side. I'm also running American Racing long tube headers. The oil lines happen to run right over there the LS3 knock sensors mount. This isn't a big issue with the LS2/LS3 style two wire sensors because they are a little lower profile and the wires come out of the side- so the oil lines kind of pass overtop. This is slightly problematic with the old LS1/6 single wire hockey pucks with the connector that sticks straight out.

I ended up buying the racetronix extension harnesses for both the LS2/LS3 knock sensors (one wire becomes a ground) and the LS1/6 knock sensors.

Car has a 411 PCM. OS version is 12593358. In HP Tuners under the "Knock sensor" general page, I can change from resonance to flat response sensors. I understand that the 4.3L V6 runs the same externally mounted knock sensors with the same PCM. The question is, can I actually run and tune with the newer style knock sensors? Or am I going to run into tuning issues?

Senior Tuner
    If you can use LS1 knock sensors in this application you would be better off IMHO.

People say it works.. but I've never seen what I consider normal knock activity with GEN 4 sensors with a GEN3 ECM and vise versa. Doesn't matter what you do inside HPtuners.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    This is the closest Knock Detection IC to the used in LS1 PCM which can be found in the public. It's not exact, but very close. By the way E38/E67 Knock IC is a successor of it with some improvements.
    https://patentimages.storage.googlea.../US5594649.pdf

Beside Flat Responce/Resonant there are a lot of other options not defined in HPT. And when you are switching to flat responce the crucial setting is the center frequency of the band pass filter. If it misses piston bottom resonance then you will have very bad sensitivity. Who knows how those unused options configured in stock, may be you'll be lucky, may be you'll be not.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs