Thread: 6.0 swap help

Potential Tuner

6.0 swap help

Accidently posted in the wrong Gen...

Good morning!
    First time posting and tuning, so please forgive me!

I feel like I am chasing my tail trying to get this to tune, and any help would be amazing.

Finally got it to idle ok, but seems off
    2008 Silverado replaced 5.3 with a 6.0 from a 2010 2500 express van
    Did the VVT delete when swapping the cam, no DOD on the 6.0 from factory.
    Started with a stock tune for a 2008 6.0l and have tried to follow all of the tips in the forums for setting it up. I have read a lot of posts, So I know you need the files...

truck 6.0 2008 BTR TN Cam VVT Delete v2 reset MAF RPM base 900.hptv2 file.hpl

Any help is appreciated!

Advanced Tuner
    Not to take away from the original post but can we quit buying these cams with cool names and secret specs? By the way the exhaust duration is 224 and cut on a 106 icl, 1.5* advance ground in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichollm99 View Post
    Accidently posted in the wrong Gen...

Good morning!
    First time posting and tuning, so please forgive me!

I feel like I am chasing my tail trying to get this to tune, and any help would be amazing.

Finally got it to idle ok, but seems off
    2008 Silverado replaced 5.3 with a 6.0 from a 2010 2500 express van
    Did the VVT delete when swapping the cam, no DOD on the 6.0 from factory.
    Started with a stock tune for a 2008 6.0l and have tried to follow all of the tips in the forums for setting it up. I have read a lot of posts, So I know you need the files...

truck 6.0 2008 BTR TN Cam VVT Delete v2 reset MAF RPM base 900.hptv2 file.hpl

Any help is appreciated!
    Don't take this the wrong way, but no one can help you without a clear definition of what is wrong or what you are asking.
    The good news is that you did supply the tune file. However, the bad news is that you did not supply a log file against the tune.

Can you please tell us your specific concerns, issues, drivability problems, etc? And when you post the log file, please be sure to include enough logged channels/PIDs so we can actually help.
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Potential Tuner
    I thought I added the log, sorry. It idles ok, but stalls going into reverse. It also seems to be sluggish. much more than the 5.3 was.

v2 file.hpl

Thanks

I thought I added the log, sorry. It idles ok, but stalls going into reverse. It also seems to be sluggish. much more than the 5.3 was.

v2 file.hpl

Thanks
    My apologies, I see you did post the log and tune together, but the hyperlinks are smashed together and I did not see it.

Your VVE table needs work and your spark table needs work too. The sluggishness could be from either or both sources, hard to tell with just a cold start OL idle log.

Also, you need to log a lot more helpful channels in the log file to really dig into any aspects of tuning.

Idle > Airflow > Transmission Shift Airflow has the tables needed to add air during shifts to prevent it from stalling. In looking at your idle airflow min table, it could also be part the problem.

Another issue is that your commanded idle RPM tables do not agree with each other. One has 800, two have 700, and one has 550, so depending on conditions, your ECM is getting conflicting idle speed info that can cause instability.

I will also tell you right now that Injector Gain is enabled you need to turn that off. It is under Engine > Fuel > General

There is a lot to be done here in this tune, more than just a single post.
    Last edited by Cringer; 01-15-2024 at 01:26 PM.

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Potential Tuner
    Thank you Cringer! I will address your suggestions, attack the VVE and Spark tables and see where I am at. Is there a post or search term you can suggest to know what channels to log and what you are logging them for. I want to learn as much as I can about the why.

Thank you Cringer! I will address your suggestions, attack the VVE and Spark tables and see where I am at. Is there a post or search term you can suggest to know what channels to log and what you are logging them for. I want to learn as much as I can about the why.
    I have attached my channels below to get you started. Knowing what to log and why is part of the learning curve. Honestly this forum is not the best place to go for learning from the ground up. However, if you have a specific question or issue, then ask away.

Cringer.Channels.xml

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant