Thread: detect protocol failed/ cant scan vehicle with obd or hp

Potential Tuner

detect protocol failed/ cant scan vehicle with obd or hp

I am swapping a gen 4 ls into a 09 pontiac g8 base with originally a v6 so v8 swapping v6. I bought a wrecked g8 gt pulled the v8 drivetrain out, well im here now everythings in, i had to get a fusebox harness that also plugs into ecu and got that from a right hand driven holden comme same chassis as mine but i had to extend it by soldering. i have power to the obd2 but it says communication error when scanning with obd2 scanner, and detect protocol failed from hptuner interface, i have updated the interface and installed the newest mpvi2+ drive and i own the mpvi3, never had issues with the obd before yet this ecu is something i have never in the vehicle but i did work because i drove that wrecked gt. not informed to much on bricked ecm but curious if mine is and how i would figure that out aswell as what i would do. i dont have my front headlight harness and all that hooked up, its connected to the engine harness and has grounds on it that arent connected, was told i didnt need them connected from a g8 buddy who v8 swapped his v6. im stumped i have emailed hptuners, went into ls1forums, contaced two tuners, contacted g8 buddies, and took it to the facebook g8 group. as you may expect nothing has really helped, this is my first v8 swap to a v6 some entering in new vins or updated sht is all new so tuning is very new to me so throw anything at me and ill try it
    appreciate it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TeK...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GqR...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Bracken.G8; 01-10-2024 at 09:41 PM.

Tuner in Training
    did you change the BCM aswell?

Potential Tuner
    i did i read it with the v6 bcm in and the v8 bcm, my g8 buddy who v8 swapped his v6 said he kept his v6 bcm in but changed mine to see if it would change the result in reading the vehicle and the only thing it changed was, security lockout on my infotainment screen lol