Thread: 5.7 Vortec - Manual trans conversion

Potential Tuner

5.7 Vortec - Manual trans conversion

I'm not real sure where to starts, but I've looked through a few pages of results and haven't found my situation. Ill keep looking around, as I just got HP tuners and have a couple of projects on deck for it. This truck, and the main project - a L8T transplant into a 1984 Toyota Landcruiser. But I gotta get my feet wet. lol

Truck is 1997 K1500 with the 5.7 Vortec and 4l60E trans. Going with a 5 speed manual.

At this point, I haven't even connected to the truck yet. Like I said, I just got the HP Tuner.

I found this thread, but its a newer LS engine. I'm not sure how it will relate to the older Vortec.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...light=standard

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Leave the transmission type as 4L60e and just go through the entire DTC's list and disable anything transmission related. I'd raise the drivetrain abuse way up to 7,000rpm and set the mph to zero.

Also go into the system options and put a zero in the cell if brake torque mngt is on.

Anybody offer any guidance? Hopefully, I will be able to accomplish this.

Thanks
    Last edited by Acrosteve; 01-06-2024 at 05:44 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    The older vortec engines use different PCMs than the LS's. I think theyre referred to as "black box pcm's" A lot of people do P01 (411) swaps so they have some more options in the tune. Ive played with a few, but not enough to tell you what needs to be done from memory. Either way, we'll at least the tune file your using on the truck to help you out.
    "I don't care how it runs as long as it chop chops at idle"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerguru427 View Post
    The older vortec engines use different PCMs than the LS's. I think theyre referred to as "black box pcm's" A lot of people do P01 (411) swaps so they have some more options in the tune. Ive played with a few, but not enough to tell you what needs to be done from memory. Either way, we'll at least the tune file your using on the truck to help you out.
    I have a 2005 Mexican L31 file that goes into a DBC Green/Blue. Was a factory L31/5spd manual.

Senior Tuner
    96-97 Black Box PCMs are not supported with HP Tuners. 98-99 Black Box PCMs are supported. If you want to use HPT then you need to switch to either the 98-99 Black Box or a newer P01 or P59 PCMs. Either will require some wiring harness modifications. Less if you stay with the Black Box, more if you switch to a newer PCM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    96-97 Black Box PCMs are not supported with HP Tuners. 98-99 Black Box PCMs are supported. If you want to use HPT then you need to switch to either the 98-99 Black Box or a newer P01 or P59 PCMs. Either will require some wiring harness modifications. Less if you stay with the Black Box, more if you switch to a newer PCM.
    Would you happen to know the numbers on the newer PCM? I've seen 3 different ones referenced for 1998-1999 and they say they do not interchange. 16250279, 16263494, 9355699.

Some ebay sellers say they have 98-99 pcm's, but I want to confirm the compatibility with HP Tuners.

I'm thinking I might be better off changing the PCM to a newer one, rather than dealing with the old one I have.
    Last edited by Acrosteve; 01-08-2024 at 07:30 PM.

Senior Tuner
    9366810 is a 98 service # 16263494is a 99 service #. There may be others. 98 and 99 Black box PCMs will interchange with each other. I've uses them both in either year. You can load a 98 or 99 calibration in either one. They are different than the 96-97 in that they only have 4 connectors. They do not have that little 5th connector in the middle that the 96-97s do. You can not load a 96-97 calibration in a 98-99 PCM or the reverse.

Senior Tuner
    I can edit the 96-97 black box PCMs with Tunercat OBD2.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    9366810 is a 98 service # 16263494is a 99 service #. There may be others. 98 and 99 Black box PCMs will interchange with each other. I've uses them both in either year. You can load a 98 or 99 calibration in either one. They are different than the 96-97 in that they only have 4 connectors. They do not have that little 5th connector in the middle that the 96-97s do. You can not load a 96-97 calibration in a 98-99 PCM or the reverse.
    I'd read where there were some wiring differences.

Senior Tuner
    Wiring differences are between 96-97 and 98-99 PCMs. There are no wiring differences between 98-99 black box vehicles. There are some 99 vehicles that switch to a P01 PCM. That is where there will be massive differences.

Potential Tuner
    Is there anywhere that shows what's involved in changing the wiring? There's only a couple of wires in that center connector. Are there significant differences in tge others?

Potential Tuner
    I need to double check what we are talking about.

I have a 1997 factory service manual to reference, which is the vehicle I have. It shows that the module under the hood, that I believe we have been talking about, is called the vehicle control module - VCM. And there is a module inside the cab, above the glove box that is the engine control module - ECM.

Thanks how they are described. But no matter what they are called, all I would need is the module that is under the hood?

The more I'm looking into it, the more I'm leaning towards getting one pre-programmed. But I'm not happy. I just am not sure about all the harness changes required to change the module..
    Last edited by Acrosteve; 01-10-2024 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    I have a 2005 Mexican L31 file that goes into a DBC Green/Blue. Was a factory L31/5spd manual.
    Think I can get that Mexico manual from you?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrosteve View Post
    I need to double check what we are talking about.

I have a 1997 factory service manual to reference, which is the vehicle I have. It shows that the module under the hood, that I believe we have been talking about, is called the vehicle control module - VCM. And there is a module inside the cab, above the glove box that is the engine control module - ECM.

Thanks how they are described. But no matter what they are called, all I would need is the module that is under the hood?

The more I'm looking into it, the more I'm leaning towards getting one pre-programmed. But I'm not happy. I just am not sure about all the harness changes required to change the module..
    If I had a 97 Manual Trans file I would program it for you for just the cost of shipping. The only file I currently have is a 96 Manual Trans. It would probably work for you as there are little to no differences between a 96 and a 97 calibration. If you want to try the 96 calibration in your PCM I could do that too for just the cost of return shipping. And yes just the one under the hood.

Senior Tuner
    I was able to locate a 97 5.7L manual trans file so if you want to ship me your PCM Same offer. Just pay $20 for return shipping. I can flash those with Tunercat. I can put your VIN in it too.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Think I can get that Mexico manual from you?
    I am 100 miles from my tuning laptop at the moment, but I will add it up on here when I am back in town. Might be a week or so.

Potential Tuner
    I haven't been under the dash yet, but what do I need to plan on for connecting the clutch pedal safety switch to my existing harness?

I've ordered a new switch and it shows 4 pins. I don't remember if I even have a connector already in the harness under the dash.

My service manual shows the same 806 PPL power wire to either go to the park/neutral switch or the clutch switch. Then out to the starter relay on wire 1035. Both wires say .5 PPL.

I guess PPL is Purple? .5 is the wire gage, but i'm not sure what that equates to.

I know I should find those wires at the transmission connector, but i wonder if I should even bother looking around under the dash, or just run a couple of wires to the new clutch switch? I want to keep it as neat and orderly as I can.

Also, I mentioned the switch is 4 pins, but my service manual only references two of them. I guess i'll figure it out with my meter when I get the switch.

The other two wires on the clutch switch are cruise control disable.