Thread: L59 Swap, TBSS intake, 54-454-11 cam, Stock injectors Tune help

Tuner in Training

L59 Swap, TBSS intake, 54-454-11 cam, Stock injectors Tune help

Hi all, complete newb here. I have been learning but I am in need of some pointers.

Here is my setup details and tune file and idle run log.

5.3 L59 from 2004 Avalanche. Computer flashed by LT1 swap, harness reworked by LSX Harness.
    2007 TBSS intake 90mm gold blade with X-link DBW.
    returnless fuel rail, 58 psi corvette filter.
    12580426 injectors from China. (TBSS were clogged bad, cleaning them and may re-use)
    54-454-11 comp cam https://www.compcams.com/lsr-rectang...ii-iv-cpg.html
    New springs and rods.

Here is the tune and log file:JOSH-1-5-24-ETC Scalar 0.0158 Avalanche tables updated stock idle adjusted.hpt idle log after updates 1-5-24.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Im sorry.. What was the question?
    WHat do you need help with?
    And you you really trust the chinese injectors?

Injectors, coil packs, sensors, wires and such from China are highly suspect. I have tried that approach multipole times and find going back to either genuine parts or known and supported aftermarket vendors is the way to go. You could get the truck running fine one day, glitchy the next. IMO starting from a known quality base should be step #1.

Advanced Tuner
    Buy the good stuff and cry once. Otherwise youll spend money on the parts over and over until you finally do get something worthwhile. Injectors are a crucial part of the tune.
    "I don't care how it runs as long as it chop chops at idle"

Tuner in Training
    I am planning to swap the injectors back to TBSS. I am just wanting to make sure I have the MAF parameters setup correctly for a 90MM gold blade, the timing is in the ball park for this cam, and the fuel pulse duration is ok for that cam and lift.

Is there anything obvisously wrong with the tune and the log file that jumps out as something that I can address. The idle is somewhat rough, I am showing a lot of misfires on the cylinders.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you all for the feedback on the injectors, they are not the long term solution. The TBSS and the donor truck injectors were all in poor shape, I sonicated them and got them fairly clean but I wanted some that would function for cheap just to get me by for now. I will try the TBSS injectors an make sure they are firing correctly. I plan to pull the fuel table for them and use that soon.

Senior Tuner
    There are no MAF parameters to set for a throttle body. Start by setting it up to tune SD.

Here, I put in the injector data, injector timing for the cam, adjusted idle and BRAF, WOT trans shifts, DFCO and PE setup for airflow tuning, etc..

So yeah just try tuning the VE table with the narrowband fuel trims. You'll probably have to mess with idle, but don't get too carried away until VE is done.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 01-06-2024 at 10:04 PM.

Tuner in Training
    SiriusC, thank you for the help!

Senior Tuner
    You're welcome. Hopefully you've got a wideband for it, too.

Tuner in Training
    I plan to pull the trigger on one soon. I am only trying to optimize it and make around 400-450hp for now. More power adds later once I get tuning down.

Senior Tuner
    The way that engine breathes you'll need it. Stay out of the power while tuning until then. One more thing look what I did to the spark torque management. Don't disable shift truncation.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you I will take a look. It may be a week or two before I can drive it to really tune it. Quick questions, how do I get it to not show in gear? It thinks it is in 3rd gear. The trans is in park. I have a 3500 stall from Phoenix Transmission installed as well. Do I need to do anything for that too?

Advanced Tuner
    The PRND231 on the dsah shows its in 3rd or the PCM thinks your in 3rd gear?

Tuner in Training
    PCM shows 3rd gear, there is nothing on the dash. I do not have a gear shifter yet, I have the trans tunnel cover on my 65 off so I can put it in neutral and roll it around. I am just wondering if the plugs for the trans might have an issue.

Tuner in Training
    Sirius, I got some 12613412 and 12613411 injectors recommended here on the forum from Ebay from the recommended vendor.
    I updated the tables from the gen 4 excel files here too. Do I need to change anything else if I am going with the 50 lb for example? I just change the injector files for either 30 or 50#? I also just bought an AEM 30-0334 wideband.

Once I get the wire gremlins addressed and it will crank again I will drive and try to get the tune going.

JOSH-1-12-24-ETC Scalar 0.0158 Avalanche_SiriusC1024_SD-50lb injectors.hpt
    Last edited by untionic; 01-12-2024 at 10:59 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Post #39 has a file that contains the injector data for those injectors.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...pository/page2

I'd go with the 38lb 12613411 you picked up. You want to minimize the proportion of an injector pulse being non-linear.

Tuner in Training
    Sirius, Thanks I have that file, that is where I pulled the data for the 50# ones. So I only need to update the injector tables and nothing else then tune with my wideband using speed density only.

Senior Tuner
    Correct.

For the Injection Timing Normal table, google 'summit valve timing calculator' then input the cam specs for duration @.050. Put the result into the attached file.

Set Transient>Min Fuel Mg to .020.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 01-13-2024 at 01:43 PM.