Thread: Download the tune w/o the engine, how to ?

Tuner in Training

Download the tune w/o the engine, how to ?

Hi,

I have no more engine in the bay on my Corvette C6,
    ​​​​​​(putting my iron block H/C/F1X in a few days)
    and have a lot to do on the tune
    But... Cannot discuss with.

Have test my MPVI pro and my MPVI2 with same result (Detect Protocol Failed)

I think i have test in all start position i can (On, Accessery mode...)

Battery is almost at 12V

Have check all engine bay fuse

Have change key battery (was dead, but same issu with a new one)

Have test scan only with same issue

Is there some mass or other stuff to connect to succed ???

Best regards and... Happy new year !

Let me guess, when you turn the ignition to RUN there is no 'check engine' light on the dash. Indicating the ECM is not powering up.

Having 12v to the ECM is great but for it to work it also needs the other half of what makes an electrical circuit, the ground(s), which get their path back to the battery through the cylinder heads & block to the main battery ground cable.

Find all the ring terminals in the engine bay that used to bolt to the block/heads, and connect them to the main battery negative cable that also used to bolt to the engine.

How in the world people do this kind of work to their own vehicles without having the service manuals with diagrams/pinouts/component locations in hand before even thinking about starting I honestly have no idea.

Tuner in Training
    Correct, no check engine light

That's make sence

I will test this in a few hours

Thanks

(well, the first of my LS i modded -H/C/I/FI forged stroker C5 all by myself- i had'nt connect the mass on the head, and evidently no start, but HTP accepted to connect, and give me no DTC, so i was thinking it's only for starter or something lire that)

You right, buy books and read all of them is better,
    but in many many case (i'm IT engineer), the solution is not in book but just in head of some persons, not always but often in my job.

Best regards

There's a name for that, when someone who is an expert in one specific field assumes that any other similarly complexly-complicated field will be similar enough that they should be able to figure everything out using nothing but prior knowledge because it's the same, really, it's just wires and circuits right? How hard could it be?

And yet... your IT engineer background didn't prepare you for understanding that an electrical circuit needs a ground path just as much as it needs power.

screenshot.05-01-2024 22.08.11.png

In the future, please at least give us the specific year/make/model of what you're working on. 'Corvette C6' only narrows it down to three different ECMs used in that platform across various years and engine RPOs, each of which has totally different wiring diagrams and pin locations.

Tuner in Training
    Well done, found 4 black wire rings, connect all to the "-", and finaly, it works
    Thanks
    (#51 on my todo list can be erased)