Thread: 4.8 boosted 100% meth

4.8 boosted 100% meth

I need advice on methanol injection tuning I'm going to use 100% meth. What's the proper way to lean out the fueling? Lean out the PE or clean up the VE table where the meth starts coming in at? This is on a 2 bar sd tune.

The safest way would probably be to use the PE IAT adder table. This way your PE fueling would stay where you set it unless you get a temperature drop from the meth injection. Changing the main PE or VE tables could be very problematic if you run out of meth or the pump fails.

Advanced Tuner
    Why are you planning on using methanol injection?
    Fuel octane limitations?
    Fuel system that wont flow enough for current setup?

Quote Originally Posted by RDF1 View Post
    Why are you planning on using methanol injection?
    Fuel octane limitations?
    Fuel system that wont flow enough for current setup?
    Fuel octane is why I'm on 93 octane and fixing to do a pulley change I'm at 16 psi and I don't have the choice to run e85

Quote Originally Posted by gametech View Post
    The safest way would probably be to use the PE IAT adder table. This way your PE fueling would stay where you set it unless you get a temperature drop from the meth injection. Changing the main PE or VE tables could be very problematic if you run out of meth or the pump fails.
    I bought a alkycontrol kit and I'm gonna keep an eye on everything I always do. I just wanted to know what the most common way was for people to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by codykeen0923 View Post
    I bought a alkycontrol kit and I'm gonna keep an eye on everything I always do. I just wanted to know what the most common way was for people to do it.
    The 2 most common ways I see meth used is to bandaid a weak fuel system, so they have no choice to remove main fuel, or as an addition to whatever fuel they have for "safety", which is a ridiculous idea. I would avoid the most common ways people do it and use a method that makes sense for what you are doing.

The 2 most common ways I see meth used is to bandaid a weak fuel system, so they have no choice to remove main fuel, or as an addition to whatever fuel they have for "safety", which is a ridiculous idea. I would avoid the most common ways people do it and use a method that makes sense for what you are doing.
    So you think it's a bad idea to use it for a increase in octane?

So you think it's a bad idea to use it for a increase in octane?
    Quite the opposite. It is very useful for that. The people I was referring to who use it for "safety", are the ones who just add it in without needing it and either don't tune for it, so why bother, or they add timing, in which case they just removed the safety margin. If you are truly tuning it as part of your PE fueling in order to increase octane, that is a properly thought out and reasonable use case. I have personally used it before to temporarily bandaid a weak fuel system, but I saw that as a short term and risky cost cutting measure.

Quite the opposite. It is very useful for that. The people I was referring to who use it for "safety", are the ones who just add it in without needing it and either don't tune for it, so why bother, or they add timing, in which case they just removed the safety margin. If you are truly tuning it as part of your PE fueling in order to increase octane, that is a properly thought out and reasonable use case. I have personally used it before to temporarily bandaid a weak fuel system, but I saw that as a short term and risky cost cutting measure.
    I understand no my fuel system is fine I got more than enough to support what I have I figured with 16 psi of boost it will keep me safe even bumping my timing up slightly I have it safe even now on 93 octane on 13-14 psi only 10 degrees. Checking my plugs of course I hope I can run 16 psi with 100% meth and still run 10 degree and still be my safe zone.

Back to my original question wouldn't it make a cleaner transition in afr if you cleaned up the VE table instead of pulling fuel from the main PE or IAT PE with a progressive controller?

Back to my original question wouldn't it make a cleaner transition in afr if you cleaned up the VE table instead of pulling fuel from the main PE or IAT PE with a progressive controller?
    Even with a progressive controller, I am not sure you will get the transition to be quite as smooth as you are hoping. Having nozzles start flowing is much less smooth than pulsing fuel injectors, so the ecu transition should be smoother than the meth kit no matter which method you use. With pure meth a little bit of overlap is not going to hurt power much for that fraction of a second transition anyway.

Even with a progressive controller, I am not sure you will get the transition to be quite as smooth as you are hoping. Having nozzles start flowing is much less smooth than pulsing fuel injectors, so the ecu transition should be smoother than the meth kit no matter which method you use. With pure meth a little bit of overlap is not going to hurt power much for that fraction of a second transition anyway.
    Thanks I appreciate the advice I've tuned alot of stuff but it's my first time with methanol

Senior Tuner
    I usually pull it from the VE table if its in SD.

As gametech said.. its safe until it's not. It is useful but if it runs out or something happens and you keep beating on it.. it can definitely hurt the engine.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs