Thread: 1998 corvette PCM concerns

Potential Tuner

1998 corvette PCM concerns

I am new to HPtuners. Currently I have a 98 corvette that I would like to make minor adjustments to the cooling fan set speeds and transmission shift points. My concern comes from reading a post about the PCM's of these vehicles becoming "bricked" and no longer operatable after adjusting parameters and writing the new file to the PCM. What can be done to eliminate, or at least minimize, the chances of this happening. I know PCM voltage is critical but what other factors or steps should I be aware of. Any feedback or personal experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    I read that if you use a bench harness that it eliminates the issue for the most part. I hear that writing an OS from a different PCM will brick your current. Voltage drops and Communications losses are obvious reasons why a bench harness is a more stable way of doing it. Ive even read that at one point there was a bug and if you didnt upgrade to the newest updated VCM suite (circa2015) then you really werent protected from it. I havent had the pleasure of playing with a 97-98 PCM yet, so this isnt first hand experience, just what ive researched on the GOOGLER
    "I don't care how it runs as long as it chop chops at idle"