Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cm2200 bricked from just reading ecu?

Potential Tuner
    Is this the only model that has this issue?

I ask because I have a 2009 Ram 2500 6.7 with an unknown "tune" on it and I'd like to check it out if I could.

Don’t know, don’t have much in the way of experience on the 07.5-09 Cummins, 2010 and up it’s a definite yes you will run into the same thing. If it’s a locked tune or a tune that has a changed OS number then you could possibly run into issues

Potential Tuner

2010 dodge diesel rant (hp fail AGAIN!!!)

well, as many of you found out to late.....dont try to read a 2010and up dodge diesel......50% read and it freezes the ecu. turns out this is an epidemic, its happening constantly. now i have to pull the ecu and take it to the local performance diesel shop to have it reflashed. ( truck is to far away for tech to come there ) so, who pays for this? me i guess. why is this so maddening? because hp knows about this, and yet they just sit back and let there customers plug in knowing its going to brick it..... i am so mad. so unprofessional, all they had to do was take those trucks off the vehicle supported list till they figure it out. but no..

yes there are read issues with HP Tuners and a cummins ecm with stock calibration on it that needs to be addressed but for those attempting to read tunes and delete tunes that have been flashed to the ecm by another device like EFILive, MM3/RaceME, H&S, etc etc, not HP Tuners fault at all and its naive to think that to get others work, especially emissions deleted work is just as simple as reading with HP Tuners. The MADS products, the Smarty, MM3 and RaceME have got their stuff together to prevent being read/hacked, EFILive is meh in that department but if an EFILive CSP tune is written to the ecm, there is a specific change that gets made that will cause the failure of being read with HP Tuners. H&S, well that's just Bullydog trash that uses Brazilian specific calibrations that no one else uses and causes all sorts of issues besides read fails from HP Tuners. The only product I know that can and will automatically restore an ecm on a write fail is the MADS products. HP Tuners the ecms get stuck in bootloader and will no longer communicate to the HP Tuners device and I have seen completely destroyed ecm's from HP Tuners, somehow corrupted bootloaders and i know I'm not the only person to come across that. EFILive has a greater chance of recovery same with Witech.

Ultimately, do research first and weigh your options and accept that in the end it's your responsibility if you decide to use a product, this thread here is far from the first over failed reads/writes for the 2010+ Cummins