Thread: 5.0 Coyote Swap PCM Reprogramming

Potential Tuner

5.0 Coyote Swap PCM Reprogramming

Hello Everyone,
    My Project is a 2014 Ford Expedition with a 5.4L 3V and a 6R80 Transmission. My Plan is to install a Gen 1 5.0 Coyote from a 2014 F-150, so the question comes down to controlling it, I could buy a standalone PCM and body harness to run it, but then all the other modules on the vehicle (ABS, TCS, Instrument Cluster, ETC.) won't be fed all the information they need from the vehicle PCM. Both the Expedition and the donor F-150 run the same Physical PCM but with different software, and likely different pin outs.
    My desire is to reflash the F-150 (5.0) PCM with all of the Body control module software from my Expedition PCM. and then just run the single PCM as the vehicle would if it had been produced with the 5.0 in it.
    Is it possible to look at the module overview in Ford IDS software to obtain the correct vehicle modules software Versions from the Expedition PCM, and then reflash the individual softwares for the various modules into the F-150 PCM while leaving the 5.0 Engine and transmission control software the same?
    I truly appreciate your help, even if it's only answering my ignorant questions, or pointing me to someone who can help.
    Thankyou all for your Time, Brett

Id leave everything else and just swap PCM for starters, 90% it will work just fine reading the same pids from different Ford's PCM. You would need PATS disabled tho.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the advice, I'll start there if there is no threat of hurting the PCM, is the a chance the pin outs would be different between the two PCM's?

Highly unlikely but get the schematics and compare as this is Ford

Potential Tuner
    Alright so an update on where I am at on this project right now, I have the engine and F-150 5.0 PCM installed, and I got the PATS system disabled. At this point it's a no crank. after spending a day with the computer and ForScan I have determined that the 5.0 PCM isn't able to See/Talk to 6 of the 17 modules in the Expedition, with the GEM/SJB (BCM) being one of them, and therefore I am not even able to get the GEM controlled ignition to crank the engine.

So My conclusion is that the 5.0 PCM doesn't have the Software/Firmware it needs to be able to communicate with these Modules. Is there any way to Upload the PCM with the software needed to talk to the Expedition while retaining the 5.0 aspects of the F-150 PCM???

Any help is greatly apricated, I'm new to this Programming/Tuning stuff, and sometimes the hardest part is just learning enough to know what questions to ask.
    Thanks!

Log "torque source" in the scanner while attempting to start, report back.

Potential Tuner
    Will Do as soon as I get My PCM back, I just mailed it off to get the PATS disabled from another source, and get the VIN changed

Potential Tuner
    Ok, so it's been a while, But here's an update on where this project is at.
    So after getting the PATS removed and the VIN changed through IDS It now runs and Drives!! Overall I'm pretty thrilled with how its working. So far all of the dash gauges and all of the car features work as they should with two exceptions #1 ABS module won't communicate with the PCM, so all the Trac control and ABS lights are on the dash. After dozens of hours (if not more) of researching, messing with the as built data, trying to use the donor vehicle ABS module, trying to run the OEM PCM independently for the ABS module I finally gave up on getting the ABS to talk to the PCM thinking that it must just not have compatible firmware in the 5.0 PCM to Communicate with the Expedition ABS module. But then yesterday I had an Epiphany! the center two digits in the As built data Address code is different between these two modules! If I can change the address code maybe the PCM will finally Talk to the ABS Module. Problem is now that the address code isn't something that can be changed in Forscan, Does anyone know of a way to change this??

My other two problems are
    #2 No Cruise control - The F-150 donor pickup runs the cruise through a Steering column control module and then to the PCM Via CAN BUS, so I'll have to and that module and tie into the CAN network, not to scary but the Cruise gets its wheel speed from the ABS so until that is fixed no point in pursuing that option any further.

#3 Air bag light is on - The RCM module address code is correct, and the PCM talks to the RCM, however I'm convinced that this light is on because the RCM talks on the HS CAN to The PCM, but also has an independent CAN line to The ABS Module, and I hope once the ABS issue is fixed the Air bag issue will be resolved as well.