Thread: one more 411 swap post

one more 411 swap post

got my 1996 411 pcm swap all but done, got it tuned, everything running happy. only thing im lacking information on is the fuel gauge.

question is, do i need to do anything to the fuel gauge calibrations?

im getting conflicting answers searching the forums, one says leave it alone, the next says change this and that. i cant verify the gauge is working correct now or before. it works but thats all i know for now, havent filled it up with gas.

anyway. one post i read says 1996 fuel sender hooks direct to gauge, the next i read says it uses the pcm to control it. which is it?

ive looked over my lextech pinout and dont see a wire function for fuel sender or gauge.

truck has a 26 gallon tank, the tune file says 30.64 gallons and i have no idea about adjusting the pwm or outputs.

appreciate the help.

Tuner
    the pcm controls it. best I can tell you is to empty it, fill it to 1/4 tank and read what the gauge says. Then adjust how much fuel is in it until you get the 1/4 tank mark. same as you go up till full. Then I just interpolate in between... Not completely accurate but its pretty close.

Advanced Tuner
    The fuel gauge was not wired through the PCM in 96 or 97. Starting in 98 it was. My 97 van has a fuel level buffer module to the left of the column under the dash that the sending unit feeds a signal to which then sends it to the cluster.

Tuner
    my bad. I did not look at the year.... GM does some strange stuff.