Thread: LFX Tuning Questions

Tuner in Training

LFX Tuning Questions

Hi all,

I have an LFX swapped into an RX8 using Andrew Keisler's excellent kit. The kit includes the E39 ECU already configured and tuned. The only part of my swap that is unique is that I'm running a Gen6 V6 Camaro TR3160 transmission instead of the usual AY6. This has a different pulse wheel for VSS but I believe i'lve configured it correctly in the VSS settings. I'm now digging around the tune a bit to learn more about it.

The car is up and running and I have about 100 miles on it. A few thoughts so far:
    • The revs hang a bit which makes shifting a little clunky. Because they drop slowly, each shift pulls the rpms down to the next gear's rpm. This causes some synchro meshing issues at times.
    • the throttle response seems a little sluggish for the first half of the travel and picks up a lot more in the last third, even last 25%

Question 1: I noticed in the Engine/Driver Demand section, my tune has "Use Calculated VSS" Enabled. It says that this means with this on, it'll calculate VSS based on RPM and the NV Ratio. My NV Ratio is set to 2.73. I can't see how an RPM divided by this number will produce a current speed. I'm also not sure which gear it assumes to be in for the calc. Either way, if I have a properly workin VSS, should I disable this and let it use VSS directly?

Question 2: While I'm in the Driver Demand section, I see there is Map A - Normal, Map B - Winter/4wd, and Map C - Sport/Tow/Eco. It seems that my tune just set them all to the same values since I don't have a button to switch modes. What would it take to rig a button up? I would be helpful to have selectable modes.

Question 3: In the Engine/Fuel/Cutoff/DFCO under RPM limits, Manual Gear Type is set to "Clutch" which it says means it uses the clutch switch to determine neutral. We don't have a clutch switch so maybe we should set it to "NV Ratio" which determines neutral by rpm and VSS and ignores clutch switch?

Question 4: How is NV Ratio figured? It's simple rpm/VSS, but wouldn't it also need gear information?

Question 5: I don't have a clutch switch connected. What "features" does the ECU have that might make connecting one interesting? I wonder about what happens during shifts with the manual transmission and if there are any benefits to installing it. A CPP potentiometer would probably be a pain to install on the RX8 pedal, but I could easily setup an on/off switch if that could work.

Thanks a lot,
    Dan
    Last edited by TXBDan; 12-15-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your file up and get a log as soon as its rolling.

Tuner in Training
    I somehow accidentally deleted my post... but i had a screenshot of it for other reasons...

Hello Dan,
    I also have a Keisler LFX swapped RX8 and I am also interested in fixing some items in the tune (rev hang, accel pedal mapping, etc.), so I am glad that I found your thread!
    This will be my first time diving into HPTuner / Chevy tuning, so this will be a learning experience for sure. I've self-tuned other platforms in the past though.

EDIT: My transmission is the MV5 6 speed manual, and your comment about the clutch switch got me to thinking to go look at mine, and I am missing a clutch switch in my build as well. I could easily envision that causing some rev hang if the ecu does not know that I pushed in the clutch. Interesting. Much to learn.

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone have a stock read of a 2012 Camaro LT 3.6L LFX manual trans?

Since I'm new to tuning Chevy with HPTuners, I'm interested to know what the stock parameters are to compare to my tuned file so that I can learn what was already changed vs stock... then I can start over with my own tune from the completely stock starting point as well. Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Have you checked the tune repository?

Tuner in Training
    Apologies as I'm quite new to HPTuners. I was looking for such a thing as a repository exists in the NC Miata tuning world.

Can you provide a link to the repository? Thank you in advance for your time/help!

Tuner in Training
    There was no 2012, only a 2013, so I downloaded that and am comparing now. Thanks for your help!

Tuner in Training
    Keep in mind that the 2013 is an E39A ECU.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Keep in mind that the 2013 is an E39A ECU.
    Crap, what other year can I start with to compare as my ECU is from a 2012 Camaro manual (which was not in the stock tune repository)?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott02 View Post
    Crap, what other year can I start with to compare as my ECU is from a 2012 Camaro manual (which was not in the stock tune repository)?
    Only 2012s have E39s as I understand it. The rest of the Gen 5 V6 Camaro years are E39As.

I think I have a stock 2012 stock file, as-flashed to a E39 Serv# 12643248. If not, I can flash another one and read it

Tuner in Training
    Hello John,
    If you're able to share, I'd certainly appreciate it! Then I can send it to hptuners to put into the repository as well.
    Last edited by Scott02; 01-22-2024 at 04:14 PM.