Thread: Gen IV Factory Cruise Control In Swaps

Potential Tuner

Gen IV Factory Cruise Control In Swaps

I'm kind of reaching out the the guys that have made the factory system work in their swaps. I have read threads where they claim to have done it, but haven't come across one where it explains how. The simple answer seems to be to just buy a pedal interface kit that tricks the ECM. I have reached out to a few of the companies selling those kits asking for tech information. Not one has responded. So if you've made it work, can we have a conversation about it?

I'm swapping an L92/6L80E from a 2007 GMC Yukon into a 2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon. I started with the entire Yukon so I can pull any parts needed. The Alldata Non OE schematic makes the CC system look pretty simple. Do I just follow it? Is there any tuning/reprograming that needs to happen?

The jeep CC buttons on the steering wheel operate similar to the GMC buttons. I will need to remove the resistors and install new ones that match what the GM system wants to see. Is there an easier idea out there than that? The other item I'm not sure about is the VSS. My transfer case does not have a provision for a VSS so I will have to remote mount one on the driveshaft. I have built a 3 PPR tone ring to match the Jeep factory tone ring and will use the jeep factory VSS for it. Can I jump that signal over to the TCM and then tune the GM ecm to 3 PPR? The problem there is jeep and GM used different types of VSS that I believe are not compatible. So I don't know if the ecm will understand what's being sent to it. I could mount the factory GM sensor next to the Jeep sensor, but I would still need to retune the ecm to 3 PPR.

I guess other than that I will just wire the ECM and BCM the way it's shown in Alldata.

Thanks for any help.

(I have this same thread going at LS1 Tech. Hopefully I'll find the right guys between the two.)

Potential Tuner
    No ideas huh?

Potential Tuner
    Hey fellow Jeep guy with an L92 swap that I just migrated to L9H specs.

I attempted to get Cruise working with the BCM and even swapped the resistors out on the jeep switches. The issue I ran into is the cruise system on GM side was flagging it as a fault because the resistor ladder 2wire system is different as it would be enabled all the time.

The other challenge you will run into is AC it needs a canbus signal from the HVAC module if you decide to use the GM ac system.

There are a few options out there I am working with OEcontrols - check them out.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the response. Can you elaborate on the CC fault you were getting? In all my GM vehicles I have always left the CC Power switch pressed in all the time, so the system is always enabled. Just have to press Set and it's running. Jeep doesn't use an on/off switch so I was going to just skip it and apply the steering wheel control supply voltage that would run through all four resistors and back to the BCM through the CC switch signal wire. Should simulate the CC always being enabled. Why wouldn't the BCM like this?

I may just run the A/C through the jeep. I think the only down side is not having the step up in idle speed. I'd need to look into that a bit more. Maybe an issue with the electric fan as well. I've read that the engine doesn't even notice when the compressor clutch engages. It just lugs through it. I do have that module. Can I just install it or is it actually looking for something else too? Like would I need signals from all the actuators and pressure switches wired up as well?

Potential Tuner
    Yeah I tried the exact same thing. I bought resistors and replicated the right ohms for each input. I even bought a GM cruise switch and measured to verify. In the end I couldn?t get it to set and if I recall correctly HPtuners thr PIDs were not receiving the inputs correctly. I am not sure if it needed another module that I didn?t have. I only had the BCM with my swap.

In the end I couldn?t get cruise to work on mine. Everything else the BCM did just fine - reverse, smart charging, tap shift required being in detent 2 for me, tow haul etc. I will say the L92 OS is a lot more finecky that later models.

AC - if you want fan control when the AC is one the cleanest way is letting the ECM manage it. I didn?t get a HVAC module but I did look into it for a while you want the Jeep AC on ground signal to drive the GM AC HVAC module I would think but there are so many other inputs to the module I am not sure what other signals it would need.

I kept my stock gauges by using Novak tach emulator, feed Jeep PCM oil, water temp etc.

In the end I am work with OEcontrols to get a more robust solution that is simpler. The BCM needs a lot of things powered so that it doesn?t squawk non critical DTCs. Once I get this figured out I will share how it worked out. I have been driving my LS swap for about a year now and it?s the best - just take your time! PM me and we can talk over text or email if that?s help to you

Just saw this. Have another friend who uses these and has had good luck with them. Plug and play. Great design.
    https://www.psiconversion.com/produc.../CRC-XXXX.html