Thread: License Credit recovery.

Tuner in Training

License Credit recovery.

Is it possible to recover a credit / license for a vehicle where the ECM has either failed or been involved in a wreck where I would replace the ECM and use that vehicles initial credits to reflash and tune the replacement ECM without the requirement for additional credits to tune the same vehicle again?

In other words it takes two credits to license an LS1 vehicle. I want to use those same credits, or simply delete and start over with a replacement ECM to that same vehicle without it costing two more credits.

Thanks, Patrick.

hi, my friend nothing to worry, flash your new pcm with tech2 and use your same vin numer which was in your old pcm and tune it with your hp tuner it will work with same old credits.as far as i know i answered your question, if i am wrong senior tuners will correct me.
    Thanks.

You will need to license the new controller as it is a different controller.

Individual Vehicle licenses are locked to a single vehicle controller.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    You will have to use 2 more credits. The single vehicle license locks to the serial number in the PCM, not the VIN that is programmed. If it was by VIN, you could just flash a hundred different vehicles with the same VIN and it would only cost you that initial 2 credits to tune them all.

Tim
    GM World Class Technician
    ASE Master Auto Technician
    L1 Certification
    2001 Silverado 6.0L Swap

Ok then answer me this I had a customer that we flashed a 2002 file into his 2000 trans am. When I went to do the RTT upgrade from some reason it would not work with the 2002 it got corrupt so we flashed his 2000 tune back in and I had to use another credit to get the RTT on the same vehicle. basically wasted 50 bucks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What exactly is your question buldogg? If your file got corrupted you shouldve contacted support & they wouldve straitened you out and you wouldnt have had to "waste" any credits.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I did this was a long time ago and I sent the info they wanted I was told it was a glitch in the 2002 file I was using. Thats were they left it

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    You will need to license the new controller as it is a different controller.

Individual Vehicle licenses are locked to a single vehicle controller.
    We have one controller. I don't understand the term maybe? All the licenses are in the same controller. We have 8 credits. I need to recover two credits as we have 3 LS1 vehicles. Keep in mind this is for a Hot Rod shop. We ended up now having one with a bad injector driver or something because the new ECM fixed the issue. We get the ECMs and engines from wrecked cars. Current project is a 48 Ford. We have a 57 Chevy with an LS1 and a 50 Chevy truck with an LS1.

these are some of the cars. The Vin in the ECM is useless to us. I tried entering the actual VIN of the cars, or in some cases Serial/ Production number but that of course has to fit a specific criteria in the ECM and didnt work.

http://www.corinthclassiccars.com/listings/

I need to recover two credits some how. I remember Hypertech will return a vechicle to stock and free up the controller again. Is this something like what I would have to do?

Again we have 8 credits tied up with 3 LS1 Vehicles. We need the forth LS1 (2credits) available again. What do I need to do?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    once you use the credits that is it...we give you enough credits to tune up to 4 pcm's with your initial purchase.

Like keith stated its locked to the controller(pcm) not the vehicle or vin.

Right, once you license a PCM, that license is set for life.. You cannot unlicense that pcm/vehicle to get your credits back.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    once you use the credits that is it...we give you enough credits to tune up to 4 pcm's with your initial purchase.

Like keith stated its locked to the controller(pcm) not the vehicle or vin.
    Maybe I'm confusing this with the I.T. world I live in. I understand the reason for software license in the sense that when we perform upgrades we transfer the license to the new hardware. EULA is what that is called. (end user license agreement). It is unlawful to have the same license on two or emore pieces of equipment etc..

Is there a way to record what vehicles we have in your database so we can certify we are not duplicating or otherwise trying to beat the system and obtain a new "replacement" license without blowing through $$$ for credits when we end up with a bad ECM?

Remember we are a Restomod shop. The main thing this tool is used for is setting up the gear ratio, top speed, tire sizing and turning off emissions controls etc... Also recently we ended up needing a Drive by wire O/S flashed into a throttle cable O/S ECM.

We are not performing dyno tunes or otherwise making drastic changes to these cars. This 48 Ford after many hours of diagnostics and troubleshooting we swapped in another ECM and corrected the issue. No visible damage was on the ECM but in some cases the collision forces the unit went through probably shocked the ECM enough to cause failures without it setting codes. It would run for 10 minutes then would never restart. Cool downs and same thing.

We need the flexibility to build a custom car from scratch and turn it back over to the customer and in the end only pay for the credits associated with each car as they go out the door.

We want HP Tuners to be the product of choice as it appears to be the best. But we either need a replacement credit system when this type of failure happens or the ability to delete them back out. It only adds unnecessary costs. I'm sure this will be a rare event.

Can something be worked out to obtain two replacement credits at no charge?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Is there a way to record what vehicles we have in your database so we can certify we are not duplicating or otherwise trying to beat the system and obtain a new "replacement" license without blowing through $$$ for credits when we end up with a bad ECM?
    right in the editor or scanner under the Help-License info tab you can view all of your licensed pcm's, year/model & tunershop licenses.

But we either need a replacement credit system when this type of failure happens or the ability to delete them back out. It only adds unnecessary costs. I'm sure this will be a rare event.
    Then for you guys it seems your best bet would be to purchase the year/model unlimited licenses for these pcm's that way you can tune an unlimited amount of each year pcm...I think that would give you guys the most flexibility rather than having to do a pcm lock on each of them.

the credits you've used go towards the purchase of that year/model license via our credit upgrade system so next time it would be your best bet just to unlock the year/model license.

Our system is thee most flexible you will find out there, but we can't just give away credits because a car was wrecked or the pcm was fried due to a wiring issue in the car. Thats where insurance companies come into play

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    Our system is thee most flexible you will find out there, but we can't just give away credits because a car was wrecked or the pcm was fried due to a wiring issue in the car. Thats where insurance companies come into play

The 48 Ford in question was never wrecked. We installed what we thought was a good ECM which turned out to be bad and it sucked up the License. So where exactly would insurance fit into that?

Are you recommending we commit FRAUD on the insurance company? The engines and ECM's come from a salvage yard. We can get another ECM, that isn't the issue. They stand behind the parts they sell. We are BUILDING the car. This is part of the process.

Hind sight is 20/20 on the unlimited license feature. While I understand the purpose of the license feature it should be flexible enough to keep a customer and each license together for a life time.

What part of the license fails with the hardware? Is that in the agreement?

you can claim defective hardware and claim for the cost of the credits used..
    its not insurance fraud if its a legitimate claim...
    but you have to have talked with your insurance company and make sure they will cover you for such things...
    -Scott -

Bottom line is its not the responsibility of HPT because you had issues with a corrupt file you downloaded, an issue with your computer, a wrecked car, ect, ect, ect.

If they "replaced" credits too many people would be trying to find a way around it. It is not an issue they created. That would be like wrecking the car, calling up hooker and telling them you had a 98 that got wrecked, and you bought a 2002 so you want to return your headers in exchange for headers with the correct emission fittings. Doesn't work like that.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    Bottom line is its not the responsibility of HPT because you had issues with a corrupt file you downloaded, an issue with your computer, a wrecked car, ect, ect, ect.

If they "replaced" credits too many people would be trying to find a way around it. It is not an issue they created. That would be like wrecking the car, calling up hooker and telling them you had a 98 that got wrecked, and you bought a 2002 so you want to return your headers in exchange for headers with the correct emission fittings. Doesn't work like that.

um, credits are a made up factor to prevent piracy and to insure someone can make a living off this thing. In the EULA it states basically not to alter, aka, HACK into it and do away with the credit system and would be fraud and then they would be equally as upset. I'm quite sure eventually someone will do that very thing and once that happens it will be like napster against the world.

Insurance is in no way involved with such a matter. The ECM was defective upon purchase. It would be illegal to involve insurance at this point. If the salvage yard wouldn't make good on the product I'd call one of the local law firms I consult for and a phone call would more than likely resolve that matter.

As it is I bill $65-150 an hour depending on my services. I have spent more in time than the credit was worth at this point.

Lesson learned. Unlimited licenses it is for future projects.

If the ECM was defective on purchase, it is the responsibility of the person who sold it to you to cover the losses. In no was is this a problem with HPT. They did their job and provided what you paid for. I would go back on the people you bought the computer from, as in the end it is 100% their responsibility, unless you purchased it without warranty knowing of the possible risk.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    If the ECM was defective on purchase, it is the responsibility of the person who sold it to you to cover the losses. In no was is this a problem with HPT. They did their job and provided what you paid for. I would go back on the people you bought the computer from, as in the end it is 100% their responsibility, unless you purchased it without warranty knowing of the possible risk.
    Those are called consequential damages. Translantion : your saying if my toaster catches the house on fire I should be able to get a new house from the toaster company or the company that produced the bread. But see, the electric company provided the current which provided the heat which caused the fire. Even so the Toaster manufacturer is only responsible for damages which means at the most I get a spanking new toaster or a refund. If it is U/L listed...

See the ECM contained the O/S it was designed with. They are not responsible for YOUR CREDITS, LICENSE or MY TIME!!!

TRANSLATION,,,,, Unlimited licenses will resolve this. Not your credit system, not the INSURANCE, or SALVAGE YARD

It boils down to PRODUCT IGNORANCE (my ignorance). I cant place the BLAME on the rest of the world....

That help?

With your thinking I could sell the ECM to my friend and he could sue HP Tuners and possibly General Motors before it was over with. Why? Because it contains your software and credits. It caused him to wreck his car because he was too drunk to realize the speed limiter was set at 180 and he thought it would only run 70.

Since we are only talking $100 who cares at this point. Hopefully someone else will benefit from reading this and go the unlimited route also.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Honestly If you bought a defective pcm which in turn made you loose time & money you could talk to them about covering the charges & if worse comes to worse take them to small claims over it if need be. I personally would like to know how you found out the pcm was bad AFTER the initial read was performed or at least exactly what was wrong with it?

This thread is getting rediculous, you are not making sense and your analogies make no sense. You purchased a product that was defective. IF (IF IF IF IF IF IF) anyone is responsible to give anything back to you it is who you prurchased the PCM from IF it was a warranty part. Although I highly doubt they will cover the credits.

Bottom line is HPT is not obligated to give credits back because you purchased a faulty part.