Thread: Full Tune Checkup process and flow?

Tuner in Training

Full Tune Checkup process and flow?

Is there a Full Tune Checkup and process flow anywhere? just the HPtuner part.

If starting on a new car, what are the things to check by priority?

I would think it would start with these and go on...

• Address and resolve any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
    • Volts
    • Fuel pressure's
    • Injectors settings
    • Airflow
    • Idle settings
    • Power Enrich ?
    • XXXXX
    • XXXXX
    • XXXXX
    • XXXX
    Last edited by KalCorp; 12-04-2023 at 12:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    After airflow you could add Idle settings such as BRAF and changing adaptive idle settings if needed. Power enrich i usually (on NA) set it to 1.17 across the board and then tweek that when actual WOT pulls are being made. Timing is usually last for me. increase WOT timing and raise mid throttle slightly. blend them together to keep a smooth curve. And test and tune timing from there. If trans needs tuned i usually hit it with a base tune until the first drive and then keep an eye on shift points and if the customer likes the shift firmness and then adjust from there.

Usually i eyeball voltage when the scanner gets hooked up along with check DTCs. If the vehicle has to have a charger on it to even have a charge or if its low when i get there then itll either have to have charge time along with load tests or a new battery. Period. Bricking a PCM for something dumb like that is completely avoidable. Fuel pressure I usually assume is good until i have issues from it. While i agree that those first 3 steps are important, theyre just something i glance at to verify when i start. However if you wanted to take the extra time on every vehicle to do those 3 things there is nothing wrong with that. It could quite possibly save you a headache later on.

After you do more than a few tunes start to finish then youll just have your own method you stick to. After some experience you can make rough adjustments right off the bat based on the build and then just fine tune those adjustments and you dont really think about a flow process.

My "flow process" is just starting at the general tab in the tune and looking at EVERY setting vs vehicle mods and when im happy with that tab i move to the next until ive covered the entire tune. Thats how i start my rough base tune. The more experience and knowledge you gain, the easier this becomes. I like your bullet points and youre correct in putting inj setting at the top. if those are wrong, all your tune is wrong.
    Last edited by horsepowerguru427; 12-04-2023 at 12:10 PM.
    "I don't care how it runs as long as it chop chops at idle"

Tuner in Training
    Just working on my own car. Wanted to learn this tune stuff to maintain it. Almost as fun as building it :-)

Looks like I am stuck on the fuel part for now. Waiting for a BAP to go into my twin-turbo '12 SS Camaro. I got a ZL1 pump and updated the tune settings for it, but it's just not enough still.
    Also got an AEM wideband coming, as the current GlowShift wideband is not the best for tuning just looks.

Thanks again for the 101!