Thread: 2018+ Mustang PCM DI delete?

Potential Tuner

2018+ Mustang PCM DI delete?

Hello,

I have a rather unique project involving an engine swap using a 2019 Mustang GT PCM and a 7.3 Godzilla. Engine has been wired up to look like a coyote to the PCM (minus the obvious missing cams). We just started trying to get a base tune together and while we can get it to start and idle pretty well, the fuel system is stuck in Open Loop. Immediately upon startup the fuel system status switches to "OL - Fault" with no adjustment of fuel trims. Verified that the O2 sensors are operating properly and they both report as ready for closed loop seconds after startup. My thought is that this has something to do with how DI was deleted. Attached is the (very rough) base tune in which the DI hardware is disabled and all blend tables zeroed out. Fuel rail system faults (pressure sensor and volume solenoid control) are disabled in the DTC list. Anyone have an idea of what we are missing?
    Attached Files Attached Files

We did DI delete few times already, long time before one well known tuner claimed to do so...DI disable switch does nothing as its a ghost switch, programming path leads to no code/nowhere.
    Few tricks are required to run 100% PI.

Also there are few tricks to pull to run any other engine on 3gen pcm as we find out running 2gen and 5.2 on that PCM.

Potential Tuner
    Yeah I am disappointed that the DI disable switch doesn't work... My fallback plan if we can't figure out the tune is to try and trick the PCM into thinking the DI system is present and functional with a static pressure and the volume control solenoid connected.

Ford never intended 3gen to run on PI only - this is possible as mentioned but you have to trick it to get around.

Your fallback plan is not going to work as DI pressure has to move.
    Tried that and it didint work. I can help you with this as we have few cars running on PI only but this is veeeery far from free friendly forum advice.

What is your plan for the DI injectors? Brian tooley was doing dyno tests PI vs DI. When he turned off the DI and did a dyno run it melted the tips of the DI injectors, the fuel was cooling the tips. This is on a 6.2 LT engine, I would expect the same results with a coyote.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Davem3261 View Post
    What is your plan for the DI injectors? Brian tooley was doing dyno tests PI vs DI. When he turned off the DI and did a dyno run it melted the tips of the DI injectors, the fuel was cooling the tips. This is on a 6.2 LT engine, I would expect the same results with a coyote.
    I am using a Mustang PCM to run a Godzilla 7.3. The Godzilla physically does not have the DI system so no issues with melted injectors.