Thread: Pedal 150% = T/B 100% but does it matter?

Advanced Tuner

Pedal 150% = T/B 100% but does it matter?

Sorry for starting a new post about this subject but the information within years seem to be spreaded across so many threads. And unfortunately those threads do not agree on this.

When using P59 PCM with DBW, sometimes we get problems when using certain (adjustable pedal) OS. We can't affect this with segment swap?
    -The most annoying problem seems to be when ~60% pedal means 100% throttle opening. I've had this and it seems the cammed idle is very hard to get tamed when PCM makes all corrections as a triple amount. Transmission side is easier to modify to cope with this but that too is difficult to start with when 60% pedal takes you to WOT tables.
    -Now I found a different combo in my own project (the engine is still in wiring phase in engine stand): With my (enclosed) "Holden" tune I get full travel of the pedal to match throttle blade to go from zero to 100%. So everything seems to be fine BUT pedal position reads 148% at WOT. Does this pedal position affect anything in the tune? I mean that should I be happy now and not expect problems in idle corrections and transmission table usage? In other words: Which one the PCM uses as throttle position when making corrections: blade angle or pedal angle?

Edit: I added pedaltest02.hpl here and from that log I can see that all 3 values (throttle position, throttle desired position, throttle pedal position) are moving nicely together, except for pedal being ahead of others.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Tapi; 12-01-2023 at 09:22 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    To ad some data to back this up I uploaded 2 different tunes to this same combination and logged the throttle with both. They act very differently:
    pedaltest1.png

The upper one is with OS 12593058.
    The lower one is with OS 12592433.

Whatever is different is down below the surface, there's nothing visible in the editor so outside of non-HPT tools an OS change would be the only way to convert between adjustable & nonadjustable pedals. I've compared two files from two different trucks with the same OS ID with different pedals and there were no visible differences.

There's also no way I know of to tell from tune file info or VIN whether a file is adjustable or nonadjustable. You'd have to have the RPO sticker from the original vehicle.

Advanced Tuner
    I have seen your posts about this subject and I really appreciate your input.

What do you think with that lower scan screenshot in my previous post, is that the best I will get or should I still hunt for OS's to get the pedal travel within 0-100%? This seems a lot better at least in the graph than my previous one. I'm still curious does the computer mind about the small difference between pedal and the buttrfly angle.

I can't get the pedal/TAC from the original vehicle and I cant get the VIN for my pedal/tac/throttle body.

The time to solve this is when selecting a donor, don't pick one that has adjustable pedals if you want to use a regular pedal in a swap. I really hate these trucks and the issues these pedals cause for people.