Thread: 4x crank trigger vs 24x crank trigger

Tuner in Training

4x crank trigger vs 24x crank trigger

Still learning my way around this stuff, and not yet tuning anything.

Can a stock tune for '99 Tahoe 4x4 be used in an L31 crate motor - if I have changed the reluctor wheel to a 24x ??

I don't have to change it to a 24x, as I just want to get the motor running and learn to tinker with the tune.(currently has 4x wheel in it)
    However, in future I may want to use the 0411 PCM (may even start with this) in order to us LS1 type ignition setup and individual coils.
    THIS I am told will require the 24x reluctor on the crank, and perhaps a different crank sensor.

The motor is NOT yet in the vehicle, and I will be putting a cam in it in the coming weeks. I just know now would be the easiest chance to put in the 24x wheel and save me a lot of work in the
    future if I do decide to upgrade ignition to coil per cylinder.

I have not yet purchased a PCM, so options are wide open.

I do plan to initially run the Vortec intake, new spider, and factory vortec distributor.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    Swap an LS1 24x crank into a Vortec 350? No, thats not how that works

Advanced Tuner
    A P01 pcm can run an L31, google black box to ls1 pcm swap

Tuner in Training
    Not swap the crank. Just pull the 4x trigger out and put a 24x trigger in.
    I guess go emulate the signals generated by ls1.

I?ll look that other thread up.

Potential Tuner
    I wanna say EFI supply makes a 24x reluctor that'll fit on the crank snout of a small block, uses stock vortec timing cover. Check out LT1swap dot com too. Dude has tons of info pertaining to what you're asking. Cool thing is you'd be able to run coil on plug ignition too. Been thinking about doing the same to my 81 camaro but then i got ahold of an LS1 so kinda pointless to do all that work to my small block now.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, EFI Connection is where I'm going to get the kit with 24x wheel, timing cover, sensors, etc....... The tricky bit is that I want to leave it as distributor ignition for a bit until I'm comfortable with the swap to individual coils. I don't want to over-complicate my engine swap. I did correspond with Branden from LT1 swap, and like many other tuners and mechanics, he had never seen anyone use an L31 tune with the 24x wheel. Due to all the not sure responses, I have decided to go ahead and commit to the LS coils. I will still have the dizzy in place, if for nothing else to run the oil pump
    I also might dummy wire this whole motor on the ground, and make sure I get a start-up and idle before I actually do the swap. Nothing worse than a half-opened car project with crap everywhere and can't find a wiring gremlin.
    I'm not new to wrenching on stuff, or even mad swaps, but EFI, multi-coils, learning to tune, v8 swap, etc, etc all at once is a pretty heavy recipe for my old noggin.

Potential Tuner
    im pretty sure under System>General>System Options you will need to go to your platform selection crank low res and make it a 0 instead of a 1
    0 is 24x
    1 is 4x