2007 Chevy Suburban 5.3 ltz
    160k miles
    completely stock minus the delete kit from texas speed consisting of:
    non dod valley cover
    non dod stock cam
    16 non dod lifters
    new standard volumn oil pump
    gaskets,bolt,etc.

The reason installing the kit is because cylinder 4 lifter collapsed.
    installed kit, first crank it ran for about 15 seconds then died. tried again then ran for less than that then died. it now only cranks over. The start was attempted with no tune when i finished. The vehicle is now tuned with dod delete. i'll post the tune below. im completely new to tuning and have been following youtube videos and forums with no luck. currently the vehicle still only cranks even with tune. i have fuel, i have spark. i have physically checked every connector, ground, harness and see no damage.When it came to timing i lined up the two sprockets dot to dot according to all sources i looked up. i have tried carb cleaner in the intake, tried plugging the old valley cover into the connector while cranking(hanging off the side not installed under the intake). Checked all of my fuses and relays under the hood. Spark plugs are less than 6 months old but cylinder 4 plug was replaced due to it being fouled out from the collapsed lifter. i currently have no codes being thrown. ive checked with a small pocket scanner, hp tuners and an larger autel scanner and no codes even after cranking. Vehicle does not have VVT. Its my wifes suburban and just trying to make it reliable by getting rid of these bullshit gas saving systems. Whether a solution or even a direction where to look would be extremely helpful considering we only have one vehicle now. Also im open to learning as much as i can so any other resources to look to would be appreciated. I will update after every test or suggestion I attempt as soon as I do them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TxJonathan; 11-30-2023 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Better clarification on situation

Senior Tuner
    DOD deletes will start and run even with the stock tune. They will be running on only 4 cylinders with the solenoid codes set but they will start and run at idle surprisingly well. The fact that it will not run on starting fluid says it does not have spark even though you said it did. If it ran at least 15 seconds it should not be the cam timing. Probably missing or a loose ground having to do with the coils would be my guess. Does the scanner show RPM when cranking?

Advanced Tuner
    What front cover did you use? The factory one for the VVT? or a plane one with just the cam sensor?

Senior Tuner
    No VVT on a 07 5.3. Even with no cam sensor it would eventually start.

Tuner in Training
    I'm going to do a deeper diagnostic tomorrow but yes it does show rpms on the HP Scanner as I'm cranking

Tuner in Training
    So far I checked voltage for my ignition A and B and both read 12 volts. I cleaned and tighten ground for injectors on passenger head. I used an inline Spark tester on all 8 cylinders and do have Spark. I have fuel at the rails and read 57lbs on hp scanner. With that being said would be the reason for the no start with the carb cleaner. Also when I initially started for the first time today it started but then bogged down within 5 seconds

Tuning Addict
    Fuel on the scanner isn't correct. You have to use a gauge. Almost sounds like the plugs are fuel fouled or something? Might not be a bad idea to pop the injectors up out of the intake and then cycle the key on and look for one stuck open.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    I'll try that next now that I know for sure I have spark. Not only did I use an inline tester, but I pulled plug and cranked it while still connected to coil. It sparked as well. But with that being said shouldn't spraying carb cleaner in the intake tell me I'm having a fuel issue?

Tuner in Training
    Last night I double checked my timing and made sure it was correct. It was dot to dot with cylinder 1 at TDC so thats not the issue. I went ahead and did a fuel pressure test and inconsistently got 30-40 psi. I believe it's the fuel pump but before I drop a new one is there any way I could've messed with the fuel pressure? Only fuel related thing I messed with was un-doing the fuel line from the back of the intake. I triple checked it and it has no leaks, I also checked the lines going under neath the body and no leaks as well. I'm hoping it's unfornateing timing but trying to cover all my bases before replacing something unrelated.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry for the dumb question, but does it have enough gas in it?

Potential Tuner
    Have you looked at the plugs to see if they are saturated with fuel? Pull the plugs out, remove the relay and turn it over several revolutions. Then put the plugs and relay back in and see what it does. I worked on a truck a while back that wouldn?t start. Tried carb cleaner, nothing. Pulled the relay and plugs then tried again. It started. It was basically flooding. Ended up being a bad coolant temp sensor. It’s a long shot but worth a try.
    Last edited by K&Dmech; 12-09-2023 at 12:04 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Yes half a tank

Tuner in Training
    I'll give that a shot because the plugs do have fuel on them but first I'm going to change the pump because I did further testing and the fuel rail read 10 psi one day then no psi after multiple tries. I tested it with key on no cranking. Made sure gauge was working by testing on my sierra and got 70 psi key on not running. I did bump my coolant temp sensor and broke a little piece of plastic off but still makes solid connection with no wiggle room but doesnt hurts to make sure.

For the hell of it I'd even disable the VATS with a write entire and try that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    did you get it running?if not i can help you or get you help
    michaek78

Tuner in Training
    Hey guys sorry for the late reply been super busy but yesterday I replaced the fuel pump and now have 70psi at the rail so I for sure I have fuel pressure now. The truck started and ran for a couple seconds but just long enough to where I was able to rev it then it died again. Now it continues to crank only. Something I've noticed is that it almost always starts/dies or almost starts on the very first attempt of the day. Every attempt afterwards it just cranks.

Senior Tuner
    I doubt your tune is set up for 70psi.

Potential Tuner
    Check ground on back of driver side head, it?s easy to forget and will cause several weird issues. These trucks are pretty simple

Tuner in Training
    My stock 11' gmc sierra has the same psi

Tuner in Training
    Already did, removed that one and the passenger side head ground, cleaned all the connections with a wire brush and made sure they were tight.