Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First crack at DI

Tuner in Training
    Everything i read was to target the idle areas till it ran correctly, so thats what i did. So how do you proof read the tune? what torque PIDS are supposed to say what when its dialed. Ive heard that pedal should be 0 torque at idle but not sure what PIDS are supposed to match it. When i log barro what am I referencing that against? just using it as a load value like using a vacuum gauge to dial in timing on older cars? When im by the truck ill try what you sent over, after i compare them (I want to learn, not just blindly try what you sent). And is it a 1:1 between MAF and MAP in VE? cause ive been treating it like that. And after a look at your revision you didnt.
    Last edited by NoStepOnSnek; 12-05-2023 at 08:52 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    One other thing that just stood out to me in your log. How are you dialing in your VE without logging barometric pressure. The row axis are pressure ratio which is baro/map or map/baro. Don't know, can't remember right off, but either way baro is needed.

You're welcome to try this one, make sure to do the throttle clean reset then see where this one is idling timing wise for you. Also you really need to dial in your VE and get it as close as possible before you can really evaluate torque model changes.
    I dont have VE "dialed in" at all, this is just a startup tune still. Haven't even driven the truck over half throttle yet.

Tuning Addict
    I didn't have anything to adjust your VE off of. You aren't logging the right thing "baro" to do so. Whole reason I asked how you were making adjustments to it. Look at the axis in your VVE tables. One is rpm. The other is "pressure ratio". In order for pressure ratio to read or display correctly you have to log barometric pressure and map. I only adjusted your torque model a little for you. It may work. It may not. I've told you how to adjust the torque model. You twist it until you get what you're after. You can log delivered torque to get your basic shape then twist and work it from there as the offsets won't show up in delivered and have to be added back to the models. You need positive timing, Positive torque but something less than 20 preferably and closer to 0 after the engine is hot is usually better with cams. If you have a high stall you can get away with negative torque. If not then drivability and transmission life both will suffer.

Also make sure you are performing the throttle clean reset after flashing. This helps to speed up the "relearn" process when making torque model adjustments. You may even need to drive it for 30 minutes to see if it's going to change more. Either way VE needs to be dialed in to match MAF airflow.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Copy that, thanks for all the help so far, ill keep you posted.

*I think i misunderstood you. I haven't touched VVE, only VT. When you were talking about VE i thought you were talking about VT, I gotta stop working on this project so late at night lol. NOW i understand what you mean, I need to address VVE BEFORE i mess any more with VT? And is there a custom PID to get the ratio for a histogram? BARO/MAP comes close.

Now I'm gonna re-read everything you said lol
    Last edited by NoStepOnSnek; 12-05-2023 at 11:33 AM.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStepOnSnek View Post
    Copy that, thanks for all the help so far, ill keep you posted.

*I think i misunderstood you. I haven't touched VVE, only VT. When you were talking about VE i thought you were talking about VT, I gotta stop working on this project so late at night lol. NOW i understand what you mean, I need to address VVE BEFORE i mess any more with VT? And is there a custom PID to get the ratio for a histogram? BARO/MAP comes close.

Now I'm gonna re-read everything you said lol
    Yes and Yes - under maths there is one called pressure ratio. You just have to make sure you're logging map and baro for it to work.

You're welcome to use this channel config. It's the same one I send out to everyone I'm doing tunes for.

To load - download - right click - show in folder - right click - copy - open scanner - open recent channel config - open config - paste here or where ever you normally keep your channel configs then click on to open.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Outstanding, I should get back to the truck in the next few days. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Worked on VE table and applied your VT table. Took it for a few rides.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    As long as nothing's wrong with the tb - no holes added and no vacuum leaks then keep working things. Torque's a lot more positive now and you're still at the same idle timing so that's a plus. Lower just the low load area of the rpms up to 900. Take 12 or 15 out then make sure to perform the throttle clean several times so it will take. The map side of that torque model needs some work. You'll see what I mean if you compare to stock with the torque trend.

I should also note that I didn't look at your tune - If you didn't lower the VE that much to get it dialed in then you're going to want to lower the map side of the model to get the timing back up.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 12-07-2023 at 11:57 AM.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Full disclosure, now that im looking at it it needs a LOT of cleanup, but it was after 11pm and we had to stop for the night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuning Addict
    Yeah, I noticed you didn't have the torque model in there either unless the wrong tune file was posted. That's OK. Finish up the VE then start working the rest. AND yes, the VE still needs a lot of work. You also weren't using the channels. They'll help you a lot with everything you're doing.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 12-07-2023 at 01:39 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    May have posted the wrong tune, ill verify when i get back to the laptop. If i accidently omitted it should I just carry on with VE tuning or apply your VT first? And is there a source for the best logging tables for VE, MAF tuning ect on these? I want to know what im supposed to look for on a torque based system like the relationship between pedal tq ect. And is immediate and predicted tq PIDs somehow a part of the immediate and predicted idle speed control?

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStepOnSnek View Post
    May have posted the wrong tune, ill verify when i get back to the laptop. If i accidently omitted it should I just carry on with VE tuning or apply your VT first? Get the VE right first. One log you posted or maybe even 2 looked like a different torque model was used then the first two numerical logs still had the very negative torque at idle like the older model was used. It had the same idle timing basically, but torque was completely different. I have a better torque model that should be more in line for that cam, but would rather you email me if you want to try it as it was developed using a special math and should be more in line to actual. There is also one background table in particular that you can change if you have user defined access that will help get timing up at idle.

And is there a source for the best logging tables for VE, MAF tuning ect on these? Not really. Just make tables to log identical to your MAF and VE tables. Personally I like to use Cringer's revised dynamic formula with Sirius's filter formulas to correct the VVE whilst dialing in the MAF using stft's and lambda errors. If you're still using variable cam timing then you really need to use his VVE tool and lock the cam in and dial in the max cam position and the 0 cam position for everything to be right.

I want to know what im supposed to look for on a torque based system like the relationship between pedal tq ect. And is immediate and predicted tq PIDs somehow a part of the immediate and predicted idle speed control? I've never used them that way not to say they aren't. Immediate is (integral or spark) if thinking about gen 4's and predicted is (proportional or throttle) in regards to gen 4's. You'll most likely need to dial these back a little.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Haven't blown anyone off. Owner had an engine issue. Was driving it two hours and said it had no oil in it when he turned it off after his oil light came on. (He put the motor together)