Thread: 2012 LFX Camaro E39 Manual trans tune .. Does anyone have one?

Tuner in Training

2012 LFX Camaro E39 Manual trans tune .. Does anyone have one?

I'm starting a LFX swap project but I'm having trouble finding a base tune to start with.

What I'm looking for is a 2012 Camaro 3.6L LFX with a Manual transmission that uses the E39 computer.

I can either find 2013+ with the E39A or 2012 that uses the older (E67?) computer with a manual trans. I'm pretty sure what I'm looking for exists, it's just not common.

I know I can swap from auto to manual trans in the tune, but I'd rather start with a factory tune that's already setup for the manual trans to reduce tuning errors on my part. The swap will be a bone stock LFX / MV5 drivetrain to start with.

Any help is appreciated !

You cannot swap from auto to manual in the tune. This will need to be programmed initially with SPS using a VIN from a car that was built at the factory with a manual trans.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You cannot swap from auto to manual in the tune. This will need to be programmed initially with SPS using a VIN from a car that was built at the factory with a manual trans.
    Thanks, I didn't know that, this is my first time using an E39. I have a 2012 Impala tune I pulled from a junkyard PCM and it has the Auto/Manual swap in the drop down menu but I know sometimes those don't really work.

Before this I've only tuned P01/59's which are pretty easy to swap to a manual trans.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianPeppers View Post
    I'm starting a LFX swap project but I'm having trouble finding a base tune to start with.

What I'm looking for is a 2012 Camaro 3.6L LFX with a Manual transmission that uses the E39 computer.

I can either find 2013+ with the E39A or 2012 that uses the older (E67?) computer with a manual trans. I'm pretty sure what I'm looking for exists, it's just not common.

I know I can swap from auto to manual trans in the tune, but I'd rather start with a factory tune that's already setup for the manual trans to reduce tuning errors on my part. The swap will be a bone stock LFX / MV5 drivetrain to start with.

Any help is appreciated !
    Hello Brian,
    I also have a LFX/MV5 swap car and I am interested to figure out if my E39 ECU is originally a manual trans car ECU or automatic trans car ECU.
    Is there a way to tell from the part number?

If mine is an automatic trans car E39, and you cannot change it in the tune, than that might be a cause of the rev hang with this car.

you want to do a E39 if it is a swap, e39A won't run the alternator stand alone.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Hello Blindsquirrel, do you know how I can tell the difference if my E39 is from a manual or an auto car?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott02 View Post
    Hello Blindsquirrel, do you know how I can tell the difference if my E39 is from a manual or an auto car?
    https://tis2web.service.opel.com/tis2web/
    Punch in your VIN and it will tell you. You can also go to just about any VIN decoder on the interwebs' and it will give you the breakdown of its standard equipment.

Tuner in Training
    Hmmm, mine is a swap car into an RX8, so unless the VIN is someplace in the file read from the ECU, I do not have the VIN for the ECU.

Senior Tuner
    Vin is in the tune file.

Tuner in Training
    For those that may not know how to find the VIN in the .hpt file read from the ecu, you have to go to Edit, then Calibration Details, then a dialogue box opens and tell you the VIN. Then I used three different vin decoders (I could not get the link posted above to give me the right information) and I was told my ECU was form a manual transmission car. That makes me feel good, now to figure out how to wire in these two (2) RX8 clutch switches I just bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott02 View Post
    For those that may not know how to find the VIN in the .hpt file read from the ecu, you have to go to Edit, then Calibration Details, then a dialogue box opens and tell you the VIN. Then I used three different vin decoders (I could not get the link posted above to give me the right information) and I was told my ECU was form a manual transmission car. That makes me feel good, now to figure out how to wire in these two (2) RX8 clutch switches I just bought.
    Later model vehicles have a clutch and brake pedal position sensor not a switch.
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 01-22-2024 at 06:29 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Later model vehicles have a clutch and brake pedal position sensor not a switch.
    Yep, I did some digging online and it seems a 2012 Camaro manual has a clutch position sensor, not typical end of travel clutch switches like normal cars. Man, hosed again. I'm guessing that figuring out a mechanical way to mount the Chevy sensor on the RX8 clutch assembly would be a no-go. Then the only other thing I can think of now is building some little circuit board that would take the up and down positions and output the proper voltage the the ECU expects... but then I'm guessing it would error out if there was not the smooth transition in between those two discrete voltages. Cars sure are complicated in the weirdest ways anymore.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    I have mentioned before about using a 2009 Corvette with a manual trans as a great option. I have done a couple and they turned out great. 2009 gives you big injectors and NO permanent codes with a manual trans. No position sensor either but you would have to switch to an E38
    So I understand, are you suggesting this "in general" as a good ECU to use for swaps (mostly for pushrod v8's)?
    ... Or for me specifically to potentially use on my LFX swapped RX8?
    ... Is an E38 ECU able to run the DOHC, dual VCT, DI LFX engine?

By "done a couple", do you mean that you've completed a couple LFX swaps using an E38 ECU?

Very much looking forward to your reply!

Senior Tuner
    I would be surprised if a non-DI operating system would correctly control a DI fuel injection system. I have always assumed they were quite a bit different.
    Last edited by gtstorey; 01-25-2024 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    I would be surprised if a non-DI operating system would correctly control a DI fuel injection system. I have always assumed there were quite a bit different.
    Yikes! Didn't know this was DI. My bad. Deleting my incorrect info.