Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 99 chevy 1500 need someone to check over please

Tuner

99 chevy 1500 need someone to check over please

I think i got it pretty close but it just isnt right. I couldn't get the stft to do anything from 60-110 in any rpm range it just stayed around 20-25 but finally it started getting better. its pretty much a stock 5.3 with flat tops. Has a cold air intake and duels. I don't have a wideband so i want to make sure i have the normal stuff right. Here's the tune and a log. thanks for the help

99 z71 red log.hpl

red z71 with my VE TRIAL.hpt
    Thanks, Tody

You can't zero out the secondary VE table like that. This computer uses the secondary VE table if you put it into speed density mode.

What injectors did you install? If you put in the later 2000+ injectors, they are 25lb/hr and not 26, also make sure you changed the rest of the injector data too.

The PE settings are way way too rich, put those back to stock or atleast command something sane like a 12.00 AFR so it's safe.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tody'shop View Post
    I think i got it pretty close but it just isnt right. I couldn't get the stft to do anything from 60-110 in any rpm range it just stayed around 20-25 but finally it started getting better. its pretty much a stock 5.3 with flat tops. Has a cold air intake and duels. I don't have a wideband so i want to make sure i have the normal stuff right. Here's the tune and a log. thanks for the help

99 z71 red log.hpl

red z71 with my VE TRIAL.hpt
    I'm a little perplexed about some of the tuning changes.

The injector flowrate table is set to 26 lb/hr, but the 1999 models are equipped with a 21.8 lb/hr injector.
    That may be why the MAF table has been increased so much.
    The PE table doesn't make sense either. The PE EQ ratio goes up to 1.45. That's around 10.1:1 AFR. I'm not sure why...
    The secondary SD table has been zero'd. I would at least put some numbers in there that agree with the primary table. That will allow it to run if the MAF ever fails.

I'm not saying that you did bad...heck, it may drive ok...but it's some odd changes that have been made.

Senior Tuner
    From the changelog it looks like you've been at this for a long time. I'll help you out.

Confirm injector data by supplying a part number.

If good then here's the tune setup to begin SD. Changelog (Edit tab) will show you what I did. Use VCM Scanner to clear fuel trims and LTFT. Load this tune and return a log. I'll show you what to do.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    The injectors are the 26 lb according to the part number. Thanks for the info i new something was screwy with it. I'm not sure how that 2nd go zeroed out. Thanks for your help
    Thanks, Tody

Senior Tuner
    Just to double check the tune, what's the part number?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    From the changelog it looks like you've been at this for a long time. I'll help you out.

Confirm injector data by supplying a part number.

If good then here's the tune setup to begin SD. Changelog (Edit tab) will show you what I did. Use VCM Scanner to clear fuel trims and LTFT. Load this tune and return a log. I'll show you what to do.
    Thanks for your help. This seemed better. The part number on injectors are 25317628 i think they flow 3.18 at 58 psi. here is the log also.red z with help from hp forum.hpl
    Thanks, Tody

Senior Tuner
    Alright those injectors were installed on LM7's. I've updated your tune with the injector data from a 2003 file.

Run it again, please.

When was the last time you changed the fuel pump and filter? Also, the fuel pressure regulator is still factory configuration? No leaks in the vacuum line to it?
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-13-2023 at 05:15 AM.

Tuner
    Alright those injectors were installed on LM7's. I've updated your tune with the injector data from a 2003 file.

Run it again, please.

When was the last time you changed the fuel pump and filter? Also, the fuel pressure regulator is still factory configuration? No leaks in the vacuum line to it?
    I changed the filter about 2 months ago and changed the injectors, fuel rails, and the regulator about a month ago. This thing hasn't been run much its eaten about 8 transmissions in the last two years and i finally found the broke 3-2 sylinoid wire in the plug a few weeks ago. The motor may have 1500- 2000 miles on it. Its a all aluminum 5.3 with flattops and the biggest stock camshaft i had at the shop at the time and i can't remember what it came out of but its a stock one just the best i had at the time. I also went over the vacuum lines and changed the knock sensors when i done the injectors. I figured as close as i was with all the rails off might as well snatch the intake and swap knock sensors and gaskets. The pump itself i can't remember but the gauge doesn't work half the time so its probably bout due for one.
    Thanks, Tody

Senior Tuner
    I think it's overdue for a pump. The fuel trims were terribly lean. That was revealed when switched to SD because the MAF curve had been increased so much that it was hiding the problem.

Tuner
    I think it's overdue for a pump. The fuel trims were terribly lean. That was revealed when switched to SD because the MAF curve had been increased so much that it was hiding the problem.
    hat is why it wouldn't ever take more fuel on the upper side of the motor so to say. It takes the pump thats around 42 psi doesn't it? I have a few of them i think i'll go look and swap it out if i have the assembly that fuel gauge been aggravating the piss out of me anyway. Thanks for all your help. If you new a trick to unbrickimg a E38 out of a 07 vette you would be my newest hero lol.
    Thanks, Tody

Senior Tuner
    58 psi. Best to get a new delphi pump and sending unit assembly.

Tuner
    Yeah i have a few of them also. I had a buddy that ended up with 100 at least and there all new in the box. I don't know how he done that. Probably same way i ended up with 10 sets of Titanium Retainers and hundreds of valve springs and seals and valve grinding rocks. I think i had about 40 36" and 24" crank and cam grinding wheels. Thats how i learned about the "special" valve springs and lifters and all the so called differant manufacturers. Anyway thanks again for the help i'll get that pump swapped and see what happens.
    Thanks, Tody

Tuner
    I have swapped the pump out and here are 2 logs. One of therm i forgot to clear the fuel trims and cut off the LTFT. Again thanks for the help i would have been stuck somewhere with a dead pump if you hadn't helped me.
    Thanks, Tody

Tuner
    red z71 after fuel pump.hplred z71 after fue; pump.hpl

Sorry i can't figure out how to add attachment when i reply to a quote.
    Thanks, Tody

Senior Tuner
    Those trims are looking much better. Want help dialing it in more? Here's the tune ready to go for VE tuning. Edit>View Change or Compare to see adjustments.

Tuner
    If you don't mind, the areas that you changed I never messed with them. I got to looking and everything i was going by was older methods i ges or I just picked that stuff out of the air. I am better with my hands and have been trying to figure out tuning but the fact that i can't sit threw a class on-line or a classroom don't help. I couldn't stay focussed in school and that was 30 something years ago i dunno what makes me think i can now. I realley appreciate your help, you don't know how grateful i am.
    Thanks, Tody

Tuner
    Not sure if i ran it long enough bu if i didn't i have got to go to town tommorow and its about 45 minutes to an hour and i will get a longer one then. Thanks again. BTW i read the whole 9-10 pages where you helped the guy with the Mystery van suburbon with the big block and when he busted that piston i felt so bad for him. Still do actualley but man he's a trooper. I hope he gets it going.

red z71 after pump 2.hpl
    Thanks, Tody

Senior Tuner
    Wow you read all that? Yeah he's having a rough time.

Here's the latest. I neglected the fuel injector change because I didn't go through the post history thoroughly. It's there now.

Next log do longer duration and try to get some idling in there. Bring RPM's up to 4k in gear. Let's see how that fuel pump holds up.

Tuner
    Here is the one from today. Somehow i lost the first one with everything you asked for and my battery was dieing on this one but i can do another if this won't give enough info.

red z 3.hpl
    Thanks, Tody