Thread: 2012 GMC Sierra, 5.3, 6l90, 4x4. Paid for tune and got more issues and no recourse

Potential Tuner

2012 GMC Sierra, 5.3, 6l90, 4x4. Paid for tune and got more issues and no recourse

Greetings all, first off, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a mechanic by trade and recently did a DOD delete and cam swap on my work truck. When I did this, I eliminated the VVT gear on the cam. The cam I chose was the Truck Norris - 212/22X, .552/.552, 107 LSA. After I did the swap I upped the idle in the tune enough to get me to a proper tuner. After getting the truck back from him and paying more than he quoted me, the truck actually runs worse now than it did taking it over to him. I reached out to another guy (remotely) and after paying him, I think he tried to blow up my truck , so I reverted back to basically a bare tune that I started playing with. I am not trying to go for all out performance, more of a daily driver instead. These are issues that are driving me crazy; first - when the truck is cold, it keeps kicking in the ABS when just tapping the brakes but goes away when it warms up. Second - the Traction control and Stabilitrak keeps turning on and off by itself between 1100 to 1600rpms. Third - it takes forever to get this thing started. Right now, these are the most important things to get the truck to be able to drive on a daily basis. Its not drivable now because every time the traction turns on and off, it dings three times. I didn't have any of these issues with the stock cam so I do believe its a tuning issue. In one of my many attempts, I was able to get the traction to turn off under 800 rpms instead of 1100 but it still turned on and off by itself.

Can anyone here help me get these issues fixed or point me in the right direction? I'm done paying people for a crap "tune", however, if you can get this truck running and driving on a daily basis, I would be willing to pay but only after the truck is fixed! Files attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

first - when the truck is cold, it keeps kicking in the ABS when just tapping the brakes but goes away when it warms up. Second - the Traction control and Stabilitrak keeps turning on and off by itself between 1100 to 1600rpms.
    Any codes in other modules? I really doubt anything in the ECM tune could cause either of those things.

Potential Tuner
    No, there are no other codes when I run the Topdon on it. When it comes to the traction control and the Stabilitrak, I can start the car, leave it in park, rev the engine till it hits 1600 rpms and they both turn on. However, as soon the the rpms come below 1100, they kick off again.
    Last edited by Frank23; 11-04-2023 at 04:43 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Did you change the tire size?

Potential Tuner
    No, nothing else changed other than cam and DOD/VVT delete.

As an initial caveat - I predominately work with Hot Rods and custom vehicles.

I have seen the "Service StabiliTrac" message appear in an OEM vehicle, that had a camshaft upgrade, followed by a poor attempt at tuning.

In the specific case that I assisted with, I believe (someone else may know better than I) that it was the MAF Sensor momentarily falling below the minimum Hz allowed at Startup - that was immediately causing this message to appear in the IPC.

The issue was solved by accurately tuning the airflow model, and by adjusting the MAF Sensor diagnostics slightly:
    - the MAF Frequency Fail Low Hz was reduced (ECM 4001)
    - the Diagnostic Enable Delay was increased very slightly, to allow the engine to run for a few seconds before the MAF diagnostic initiated (ECM 4005)

Your situation may be completely different.

I am simply sharing my experience with a potentially similar issue.

Tuning Addict
    Shrek's right. It's going to be MAF related however may have trash on it or a loose connection or anything like that. Failing the MAF can cause the same problems. I haven't looked at the tune, but make sure your VE and MAF are tuned correctly.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Here's your tune with a few revisions that will allow it to start better and idle as it should.
    I made adjustments to the VVE tables, the misfire detection tables, the MAF airflow test tables, as well as the idle speed and minimum airflow tables.

When you get a chance to drive it, post a datalog.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 test on new cam kw mod.hpt