Thread: Pontiac G8 rear gear and converter change questions???

Potential Tuner

Pontiac G8 rear gear and converter change questions???

I have recently changed the rear gears on my Pontiac G8 from a 2.92 to a 3.23 and installed a new circle D 3200 stall converter. Other than changing the gear ratio in the speedo tab, what else needs to be changed for drivability. Do I need to change my shift points or is that automatically predetermined by mph? Will anything need to be changed for the stall change?

You need to use the gear and tire wizard. Make sure to measure the tire height with a tape measure and not by what is on the tire. It adjusts most everything you need if you didn't do a TC. With the high stall TC you should run BlueCat transmission tool. Should find several links to it here on the forum. Works great. Put in your stall speed, rpm limit, diff gearing, tire size, and how aggressive you want it and it is just a copy paste. Make sure to reduce rpm on 1>2 shift to under 6k on your stock trans. I usually leave it stock rpm for that shift.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the help

Senior Tuner
    The gear change isn't much of an issue.

For the converter you'll want to zero out all the desired slips and up pressure to the converter a bit. A big stall locking up takes a lot more effort than the stock tight converter.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs