Thread: Procharged 5.3L falling on its face, care to look?

Tuner

Procharged 5.3L falling on its face, care to look?

Hello,

After about 8 months of parts sitting on the shelf, I finally finished my D1X procharged 5.3L 2006 Silverado. I'm running a 2bar OS with an overkill E85 Fuel system. I think I've entered all of the 2bar changes to VE, spark, etc and began to tune the VE. I'm having an issue where the truck seems to make decent power and then will fall over, like its hitting a fuel cutoff. I actually believe that it is burst knock pulling timing. If so, how would I go about reducing the burst knock sensitivity or should I just shut it off? Currently running 10' of timing and its making around 15psi boost at 6400rpm. I'm including the tune file and log of said run.

run 2.hpl
    new injector data tune 2bar.hpt
    2006 Silverado RCSB, Cammed, D1X, 5.3L, TBSS Intake, FIC 1650cc Injectors, E85, 1 7/8" LT headers/4L80e swap/4.10 gears

What injectors? What MAP sensor? edit: & what fuel system type, what fuel pressure...

Set ECM 12760 to 8.000g across the board to disable burst knock.

Your PE is way bad lean - looks like you don't want it to use Boost PE, but then the main PE takes a nosedive starting around 5K for some reason I cannot fathom.

Why is the 0% alcohol cell set to 14.12 if the tune is still set up with flex enabled and a sensor installed? If it detects E10 or whatever the sensor should handle that, gasoline with 0% alcohol has stoich at 14.7.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    What injectors? What MAP sensor? edit: & what fuel system type, what fuel pressure...

Set ECM 12760 to 8.000g across the board to disable burst knock.

Your PE is way bad lean - looks like you don't want it to use Boost PE, but then the main PE takes a nosedive starting around 5K for some reason I cannot fathom.
    Sorry, I'm running the following stuff:

GM 2bar MAP sensor PN# 19418810
    FIC 1650cc Fuel Injectors
    -10an feed to a y-block, then -8an feed to the rails, then -8an return thru a magnafuel regulator. e85 sensor is in return line
    Fuel pressure is at 43psi

Why is the 0% alcohol cell set to 14.12 if the tune is still set up with flex enabled and a sensor installed? If it detects E10 or whatever the sensor should handle that, gasoline with 0% alcohol has stoich at 14.7.
    All the pump gas around here is basically E10, so I changed that on the tune before I had a physical sensor. I changed that when tuning before when it was n/a. Didn't switch it back, whoops.
    Last edited by cabech984; 10-18-2023 at 07:34 PM.

OK, last of my pile-on questions... why do I get the feeling that the tune file you posted is not the one that was in the truck when that log file was recorded? Log is in open loop but CL isn't disabled in the tune, MAF looks failed in the log but isn't failed in the tune file, etc.

Well then all of everything in that file is set up wrong.

Tuner
    OK, last of my pile-on questions... why do I get the feeling that the tune file you posted is not the one that was in the truck when that log file was recorded? Log is in open loop but CL isn't disabled in the tune, MAF looks failed in the log but isn't failed in the tune file, etc.
    Crap, you're right, thats the wrong file. I'm posting the correct one now
    2006 Silverado RCSB, Cammed, D1X, 5.3L, TBSS Intake, FIC 1650cc Injectors, E85, 1 7/8" LT headers/4L80e swap/4.10 gears

Tuner
    Here's the correct tune file to go with that log

new injector data tune 2bar base 2.hpt

Tuner
    Well then all of everything in that file is set up wrong.
    I had actually changed it back before I began driving, just didn't upload the correct tune. I didn't change the ECM 12400 PE ratio because I thought the Boost EQ Ratio was the table I'd be using under WOT. I did make some adjustments to it to have it around 11.5:1 afr before logging.

Yeah everything I spent time finding was because of the wrong file thing.

Tuner
    Yeah everything I spent time finding was because of the wrong file thing.
    Well thanks, I'll try disabling the burst knock and see if it helps my issue

Senior Tuner
    Timing is very low and the wideband is very rich where you describe this issue.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Timing is very low and the wideband is very rich where you describe this issue.
    Yeah, I'm going to eliminate the burst knock and start making adjustments to my VE and timing. Just getting my feet wet with tuning with boost, so being careful!

Tuner
    Figured it out, was low on fuel

Started truck up with 8-10 gallons of 93/E85 mix in it, idled and cruised around awhile before I got into any sort of boost.

Tank level was reading around 1/4 tank but I fear it was even lower than that. Noted, keep it around 1/3 to 1/2 tank at lowest. Snow performance twin pump fuel hat with the stock fuel sending unit incase anyone is wondering. I'll tweak the sending unit arm a little next time the tank has to come out. Running great now, VE tuning has began!

Advanced Tuner
    You can change your fuel level calibration in the tune..

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RDF1 View Post
    You can change your fuel level calibration in the tune..
    Thanks, I didn't even think about that! I'll look into making the changes

Advanced Tuner
    Fuel pressure sensor or gauge sure does come in handy.