Thread: User defined parameter.... boost timing retard?

User defined parameter.... boost timing retard?

I've been fighting this for years, with no good solution, yet (that I can afford anyways). When under boost, I could control my timing only up to about 6-7psi. Then i scaled my tune 50%, which lost alot of tuning resolution whicich I worked around, but it still only covers it up to about 16psi. The last line of timing, i have to set at 11 degrees because I run about 22psi boost. So in my settings inbetween 22psi and 16psi, its a dog... you can also feel it fall on its face when running it to 22psi, after it passes 16psi....the timing immediately drops. I've been praying for a solution to come out in the software, but nothing yet. I see they have something called "user defined parameters" which "may" be my answer, but i have no idea how to use it AND I don't know if its availble for my computer. I emailed hp tuners help the other day, thought I explained my wanting to add a parameter pretty clearly.... but he responded with they don't offer tuning advice.....which never did I ask for tuning advice. lol

So I ask you guys, have you been able to add a boost timing table to your OS? and how do I know if I can add it?
    2004 GTO 5.7 ecm
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

My opinion is... just about anything that needs airflow scaling is something that would be better off with an aftermarket ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    My opinion is... just about anything that needs airflow scaling is something that would be better off with an aftermarket ECU.
    I get it. But that?s not an option for me. First, I can?t afford 2 grand anytime soon and second, I don?t want to lose functionality of my factory gauges and stuff. Basically I?d be spending 2 grand to be able to have more boost timing resolution. Not exactly worth it dollar wise to me, you know.
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

Then leave it as-is and live with the compromises you get from using the wrong tool for the job.

User-defined parameters only gives access to stuff that's already in the factory calibration but not pre-defined with a table or little drop-down toggle in the editor. Hence, user-defined. It allows you to add things to the editor's GUI, doesn't allow you to add things to the OS code that isn't already there.

No you do not need to scale the tune. Un-scale the tune.

There is tabled called AFR advance which will fulfill your needs up until perhaps 25-30psi of boost. I have used successfully to 22psi on a 2-bar application turbo 5.3 for six years, gasoline.

here is a snap shot of what afr advance does

It allows you to retard the timing based on commanded air fuel ratio. Since you will be using rich ratios around 11's only in boost that means you can direct ignition timing reductions for rich boost regions easily. Furthermore if needed you can tune the VE table leaner than commanded and use richer than 11's air fuel ratio power enrichment to achieve even more control at higher boost levels with correct a/f ratio, just watch transmission commanded mA current to the EPC solenoid to ensure it is properly supported.
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 10-11-2023 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    No you do not need to scale the tune. Un-scale the tune.

There is tabled called AFR advance which will fulfill your needs up until perhaps 25-30psi of boost. I have used successfully to 22psi on a 2-bar application turbo 5.3 for six years, gasoline.

here is a snap shot of what afr advance does

It allows you to retard the timing based on commanded air fuel ratio. Since you will be using rich ratios around 11's only in boost that means you can direct ignition timing reductions for rich boost regions easily. Furthermore if needed you can tune the VE table leaner than commanded and use richer than 11's air fuel ratio power enrichment to achieve even more control at higher boost levels with correct a/f ratio, just watch transmission commanded mA current to the EPC solenoid to ensure it is properly supported.
    Where is this table located? I have a 3 bar COS. I?ve never seen that table. I also do not use the boost referenced fuel because it?s unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn?t. As far as I?ve seen from research, it?s been said that if I?m in a -10% fuel trim when I go wot, it carries that negative trim over. So I just use the ve table.
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

CTRL+N, type 'afr'

Quote Originally Posted by KFXGUY View Post
    Where is this table located? I have a 3 bar COS. I?ve never seen that table. I also do not use the boost referenced fuel because it?s unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn?t. As far as I?ve seen from research, it?s been said that if I?m in a -10% fuel trim when I go wot, it carries that negative trim over. So I just use the ve table.
    I advise stop using closed loop. Get rid of fuel trims completely. Tune the VE table to reflect the ideal air fuel ratios using the wideband and eliminate narrowband from the vehicke, Tune the idle and cruise to 14.9 to 15.2 air fuel ratio gasoline. Gradually enrich for wide open throttle to target a/f values by boost regions. This is how all aftermarket stand-alone computers function- they do not use a narrowband and those pesky fuel trims only exist at the places on the VE table where they are needed if you are using a closed loop wideband. Because HPtuners does not have closed loop wideband it is your job to tune the VE and power enrichment properly, fully, and not use fuel trims, since even if you had fuel trims enabled it would do nothing productive for you in wide open throttle anyways. And since all we care about is engine safety in wide open throttle you should get rid of all the other unnecessary garbage like fuel trims and narrowbands because it does not help you where you need help the most: at wide open throttle condition in boost.

I suggest learn to use the boost enrichment table. Blend it will the Power enrichment and VE tables. Pay close attention to the activation points so you do not screw up the activation. You say it seems unreliable but I have been using for 6 years successfully with no issues getting consistent action. These are my opinions.

I advise stop using closed loop. Get rid of fuel trims completely. Tune the VE table to reflect the ideal air fuel ratios using the wideband and eliminate narrowband from the vehicke, Tune the idle and cruise to 14.9 to 15.2 air fuel ratio gasoline. Gradually enrich for wide open throttle to target a/f values by boost regions. This is how all aftermarket stand-alone computers function- they do not use a narrowband and those pesky fuel trims only exist at the places on the VE table where they are needed if you are using a closed loop wideband. Because HPtuners does not have closed loop wideband it is your job to tune the VE and power enrichment properly, fully, and not use fuel trims, since even if you had fuel trims enabled it would do nothing productive for you in wide open throttle anyways. And since all we care about is engine safety in wide open throttle you should get rid of all the other unnecessary garbage like fuel trims and narrowbands because it does not help you where you need help the most: at wide open throttle condition in boost.

I suggest learn to use the boost enrichment table. Blend it will the Power enrichment and VE tables. Pay close attention to the activation points so you do not screw up the activation. You say it seems unreliable but I have been using for 6 years successfully with no issues getting consistent action. These are my opinions.
    I'll give it a shot. I guess your right, theres always a compromise. Let me ask you this, id there a way I can see what my commanded afr would be, before making a WOT run?
    Also, on top of that afr spark table, what do those numbers mean? lambda? (can't be lambda)

EDIT: Nevermind, i found out what the numbers across the top mean. If anyone else is reading this thread and wondering too, the numbers represent the multiplication factor for PE or maybe Boost PE.... I'll have to find out which one it references....unless someone else knows.
    Last edited by KFXGUY; 10-12-2023 at 09:41 AM.
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

I'll give it a shot. I guess your right, theres always a compromise. Let me ask you this, id there a way I can see what my commanded afr would be, before making a WOT run?
    Also, on top of that afr spark table, what do those numbers mean? lambda? (can't be lambda)

EDIT: Nevermind, i found out what the numbers across the top mean. If anyone else is reading this thread and wondering too, the numbers represent the multiplication factor for PE or maybe Boost PE.... I'll have to find out which one it references....unless someone else knows.

You take the number on the x-axis and do this:

14.7 / that number = air fuel ratio commanded

So 14.7 / 1.13 = 13:1 commanded air fuel

Your air fuel should get richer into boost, almost linearly with boost between 12.5ish to 11.0ish on gasoline from 0psi to 16psi. You can interpolate or get creative. Max enrichment around 15 to 18psi perhaps 20psi is typical. Gasoline with mild compression 2jz sr20 rb and LS engines like truck 5.3/4.8 you would command something around 11.2 to 10.8 while ensuring that IAT is less than 113*F for region 16 to 20psi of boost. As you cross boost threshold the a/f can be anywhere like 12.7 if the engine is anemic (big cam low rpm weak cyl pressure) to 12.0 if the cam is stock at low rpm (high cyl pressure). The engine VE (cyl pressure tho) determines how rich and how little timing it needs, but the VE table cannot tell high cyl pressure from low cyl pressure, it will just shoot to 100KPA right before the turbo spools so its your job to determine how much pressure the engine can make there at boost threshold.

Timing wise you want minimum timing. Something like 11 degrees near 15-18psi of boost gasoline IAT < 113*F. If the IAT is rising above 113*F You need to investigate why. It is either a poor intercooling, or you have boost leaks.
    you MUST Pressure test for boost leaks. This is a critical absolutely necessity test for all turbo applications.
    If you'd like a video of how to do this I made one.
    You fill the plumbing from compressor cover to the engine using an air compressor to the boost pressure you intent to run for example test to 20psi if you want to run 18psi.
    Boost leaks cause rising EGT, EGP, IAT, they will ruin the engine, abuse the pistons apart eventually and overspeed the turbo.

In your channel config you can add the 'commanded air fuel ratio' or 'commanded lambda ratio' or something like that. Add anything that says 'commanded' that looks right and then RIGHT CLICK it to change from LAMBDA to AFR GASOLINE. Make sure you are tuning in gasoline AFR and your wideband is reading gasoline AFR (They can be set to use other scales sometimes).

Then simply log the commanded and actual afr in a chart and compare the two, then modify the VE table to achieve commanded = actual for the ve table, and then the power and boost enrichment tables will line up almost perfectly, depending on the temperature. It will always be a little off and small things that change engine VE will change the accuracy of commanded, for example a cutout, if you open a cutout the engine VE increases dramatically sometimes 10 or 20% it can not only spool faster it will become leaner. So you compromise your VE table for closed cutout, making it a bit too rich (commanded 11.5 actual 11.0) but then the cutout opens and (commanded 11.5 actual 11.5) see what I am saying. The same thing can happen with temperature when its cold it might commanded perfectly but when it gets hot maybe it richens up a bit from heating. The Power enrichment tab in VCM scanner has a "IAT VS ENRICHMENT" Table but if you place a negative number in that table to try and compensate for hot air it will send 99999% duty cycle and hydrolock your engine. Mine tried to do that anyways so fair warning. You don't want to lean it out anyways if the IAT starts going up, add enrichment, make it richer and remove some timing. use the IAT vs Timing table effectively to control timing for hot air to keep the engine alive.

You take the number on the x-axis and do this:

14.7 / that number = air fuel ratio commanded

So 14.7 / 1.13 = 13:1 commanded air fuel

Your air fuel should get richer into boost, almost linearly with boost between 12.5ish to 11.0ish on gasoline from 0psi to 16psi. You can interpolate or get creative. Max enrichment around 15 to 18psi perhaps 20psi is typical. Gasoline with mild compression 2jz sr20 rb and LS engines like truck 5.3/4.8 you would command something around 11.2 to 10.8 while ensuring that IAT is less than 113*F for region 16 to 20psi of boost. As you cross boost threshold the a/f can be anywhere like 12.7 if the engine is anemic (big cam low rpm weak cyl pressure) to 12.0 if the cam is stock at low rpm (high cyl pressure). The engine VE (cyl pressure tho) determines how rich and how little timing it needs, but the VE table cannot tell high cyl pressure from low cyl pressure, it will just shoot to 100KPA right before the turbo spools so its your job to determine how much pressure the engine can make there at boost threshold.

Timing wise you want minimum timing. Something like 11 degrees near 15-18psi of boost gasoline IAT < 113*F. If the IAT is rising above 113*F You need to investigate why. It is either a poor intercooling, or you have boost leaks.
    you MUST Pressure test for boost leaks. This is a critical absolutely necessity test for all turbo applications.
    If you'd like a video of how to do this I made one.
    You fill the plumbing from compressor cover to the engine using an air compressor to the boost pressure you intent to run for example test to 20psi if you want to run 18psi.
    Boost leaks cause rising EGT, EGP, IAT, they will ruin the engine, abuse the pistons apart eventually and overspeed the turbo.

In your channel config you can add the 'commanded air fuel ratio' or 'commanded lambda ratio' or something like that. Add anything that says 'commanded' that looks right and then RIGHT CLICK it to change from LAMBDA to AFR GASOLINE. Make sure you are tuning in gasoline AFR and your wideband is reading gasoline AFR (They can be set to use other scales sometimes).

Then simply log the commanded and actual afr in a chart and compare the two, then modify the VE table to achieve commanded = actual for the ve table, and then the power and boost enrichment tables will line up almost perfectly, depending on the temperature. It will always be a little off and small things that change engine VE will change the accuracy of commanded, for example a cutout, if you open a cutout the engine VE increases dramatically sometimes 10 or 20% it can not only spool faster it will become leaner. So you compromise your VE table for closed cutout, making it a bit too rich (commanded 11.5 actual 11.0) but then the cutout opens and (commanded 11.5 actual 11.5) see what I am saying. The same thing can happen with temperature when its cold it might commanded perfectly but when it gets hot maybe it richens up a bit from heating. The Power enrichment tab in VCM scanner has a "IAT VS ENRICHMENT" Table but if you place a negative number in that table to try and compensate for hot air it will send 99999% duty cycle and hydrolock your engine. Mine tried to do that anyways so fair warning. You don't want to lean it out anyways if the IAT starts going up, add enrichment, make it richer and remove some timing. use the IAT vs Timing table effectively to control timing for hot air to keep the engine alive.
    I appreciate you taking the time to type that. It doesn’t really apply to me though. I have a low compression 5.3, good heads with chamber work and attention to details to make it less timing sensitive. It takes 15 degrees of timing at 14 psi. And I lower it little by little from there. It takes 11 degrees at 22-24psinand I’ve hit 26.8 around 10 degree and it took it.

I did find that table. I started working on my commanded afrs and then I’ll get to the afr timing and go test it. I’ll post back how it works.

O btw, my iats stay pretty low even on a 100f day. Only time they climb is in traffic. Under load and moving, it’s fine. This combo has been together for a few years now. Just haven’t dialed in timing like I want.
    Last edited by KFXGUY; 10-12-2023 at 10:33 PM.
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

Are you saying 15psi intake manifold pressure or 15psi of turbo outlet pressure. It makes difference. Also have you calibrated or compared the map sensor to ensure 15 is really 15psi and not 13 or 14psi for example.

15 at 15 is what everybody uses, very common. It is why I took the time to explain more exact values and process. I already knew you had this timing in mind because it is a typical copy cat. It is wrong for that engine because it is pushing highest brake torque which is not what you want if the goal is reliability. If you dyno the car depending on weight you may find that 11 to 12 works as good as 14*~ at 15.5 to 16psi, without spikes it shall be less than 2 or 3% difference. The difference will be at 14 or 15* is on the verge of some issues and with a slight change in load or temperature or fuel quality the engine may suffer inaudible knock which assuming you have factory pistons will deteriorate them eventually causing a fracture. Years is negligible it is miles and time spent at WOT that matters. The stock engine can reach 200,000 miles with 600rwhp using minimum timing with good air filtration practice and low lift cam to protect lifters and careful monitoring of oil temperature (you need an idea of piston cooling and temperature) and EGT. But when you play near MBT or highest brake torque timing , the engine is no longer reliability biased. Instead you are only trying to save fuel by improving BSFC and squeak out a tiny bit more torque 2 maybe 3% usually. It also may create perturbations or spikes in the dyno curve which leads to higher than realistic output maximums which misleading for people who have not had experience measuring combustion pressure with a transducer to see the spike which causes the jagged dyno curve. It also depends on sampling rate and acceleration rate of the roller.

In any case. I simply want the best for you. The highest mileage. All I am saying is this: Take the car to a chassis dyno. If the vehicle is around 3000lbs put it in 1:1 gear and perform a couple wot pulls. One with 11 or 12* and one with 14 or 15* and compare them. The 11 or 12* run should be within 2 maybe 3% of the other run and the curve will be smoother (Use smoothing=0) indicating you have smoothed and calmed the pressure spikes of combustion. The peak will be lower because spikes are reduced in magnitude. The overall curve shape improved will still indicate reasonable EGT (fuel burning more completely in the cylinder still).

If I am wrong then the torque will drop off massively and the curve will not smooth out. If that is the case show me these details and I will help pay your dyno time. I've tuned a thousand turbo engines and believe this or not, the 2jz and sr20 and RB engine series uses the same timing per powerisplacement ratios as the LS engine you have because the combustion chamber is modernized the same way for all engines. The more efficient the engine the less timing it will need. For example small block chevrolet is 36* btdc naturally aspirated common but LS/RB/SR/2J engines are near 24* sometimes 22* naturally aspirated for the peak cylinder pressure. So if you have actually done proper chamber work to the engine and truly improved upon an already great design then it will use LESS timing than it did previously. Otherwise you have actually made it worse and reduced the efficiency and it needs more timing than it should.

Are you saying 15psi intake manifold pressure or 15psi of turbo outlet pressure. It makes difference. Also have you calibrated or compared the map sensor to ensure 15 is really 15psi and not 13 or 14psi for example.

15 at 15 is what everybody uses, very common. It is why I took the time to explain more exact values and process. I already knew you had this timing in mind because it is a typical copy cat. It is wrong for that engine because it is pushing highest brake torque which is not what you want if the goal is reliability. If you dyno the car depending on weight you may find that 11 to 12 works as good as 14*~ at 15.5 to 16psi, without spikes it shall be less than 2 or 3% difference. The difference will be at 14 or 15* is on the verge of some issues and with a slight change in load or temperature or fuel quality the engine may suffer inaudible knock which assuming you have factory pistons will deteriorate them eventually causing a fracture. Years is negligible it is miles and time spent at WOT that matters. The stock engine can reach 200,000 miles with 600rwhp using minimum timing with good air filtration practice and low lift cam to protect lifters and careful monitoring of oil temperature (you need an idea of piston cooling and temperature) and EGT. But when you play near MBT or highest brake torque timing , the engine is no longer reliability biased. Instead you are only trying to save fuel by improving BSFC and squeak out a tiny bit more torque 2 maybe 3% usually. It also may create perturbations or spikes in the dyno curve which leads to higher than realistic output maximums which misleading for people who have not had experience measuring combustion pressure with a transducer to see the spike which causes the jagged dyno curve. It also depends on sampling rate and acceleration rate of the roller.

In any case. I simply want the best for you. The highest mileage. All I am saying is this: Take the car to a chassis dyno. If the vehicle is around 3000lbs put it in 1:1 gear and perform a couple wot pulls. One with 11 or 12* and one with 14 or 15* and compare them. The 11 or 12* run should be within 2 maybe 3% of the other run and the curve will be smoother (Use smoothing=0) indicating you have smoothed and calmed the pressure spikes of combustion. The peak will be lower because spikes are reduced in magnitude. The overall curve shape improved will still indicate reasonable EGT (fuel burning more completely in the cylinder still).

If I am wrong then the torque will drop off massively and the curve will not smooth out. If that is the case show me these details and I will help pay your dyno time. I've tuned a thousand turbo engines and believe this or not, the 2jz and sr20 and RB engine series uses the same timing per powerisplacement ratios as the LS engine you have because the combustion chamber is modernized the same way for all engines. The more efficient the engine the less timing it will need. For example small block chevrolet is 36* btdc naturally aspirated common but LS/RB/SR/2J engines are near 24* sometimes 22* naturally aspirated for the peak cylinder pressure. So if you have actually done proper chamber work to the engine and truly improved upon an already great design then it will use LESS timing than it did previously. Otherwise you have actually made it worse and reduced the efficiency and it needs more timing than it should.
    Engine is built. Forged pistons and H beams. Compression is around 9.4. I use the logs from hp tuners and my cortex boost controller to determine my boost. Both read from the manifold of course. I had the timing at 11 at 14psi and it feels WAY slower. Now you are right about 11 degrees when I had the stock engine. 11 degrees at 11psi is what it wanted. I’d say I didn’t make the chamber less efficient, just less sensitive to knock. I didn’t change the shape, I rounded and polished the chamber and rounded the valve edges.

And look, I’m not worried about any of that. All I’m worried about is controlling the timing past 16psi under boost. If this afr works, I’ll be happy.
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

Engine is built. Forged pistons and H beams. Compression is around 9.4. I use the logs from hp tuners and my cortex boost controller to determine my boost. Both read from the manifold of course. I had the timing at 11 at 14psi and it feels WAY slower. Now you are right about 11 degrees when I had the stock engine. 11 degrees at 11psi is what it wanted. I’d say I didn’t make the chamber less efficient, just less sensitive to knock. I didn’t change the shape, I rounded and polished the chamber and rounded the valve edges.

And look, I’m not worried about any of that. All I’m worried about is controlling the timing past 16psi under boost. If this afr works, I’ll be happy.
    Okay, I am happy if you are happy. My goal is only serve to improve reliability for peoples engines. You spent alot of time and energy and I want to help you protect that investment. It sounds like you have a handle on it. Just be aware you can use the chassis dyno to reduce timing until torque kind of falls out and see where the minimum is, you want to be just above that "ramp" where torque drop and EGT kind of spikes, so you have a ton of headroom for future unexpected conditions. Remember combustion reaction rate is temperature and rate of compression dependent. Hotter = faster pressure rise. Slower rate of compression after spark (e.g. overdrive and long gears where rpm rises slowly at wide open throttle) = faster pressure rise rate. Yes this means technically every gear has its own ideal timing setting and every IAT per fuel type does as well. Likewise vehicle weight influence rpm rise rate just like gear ratio so it is also a factor to consider when tuning.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance

Okay, I am happy if you are happy. My goal is only serve to improve reliability for peoples engines. You spent alot of time and energy and I want to help you protect that investment. It sounds like you have a handle on it. Just be aware you can use the chassis dyno to reduce timing until torque kind of falls out and see where the minimum is, you want to be just above that "ramp" where torque drop and EGT kind of spikes, so you have a ton of headroom for future unexpected conditions. Remember combustion reaction rate is temperature and rate of compression dependent. Hotter = faster pressure rise. Slower rate of compression after spark (e.g. overdrive and long gears where rpm rises slowly at wide open throttle) = faster pressure rise rate. Yes this means technically every gear has its own ideal timing setting and every IAT per fuel type does as well. Likewise vehicle weight influence rpm rise rate just like gear ratio so it is also a factor to consider when tuning.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance

I don’t like that that’s no “like” button.

Anyways, thanks. I’ll rest that afr table maybe this evening.
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam

Senior Tuner
    It essentially does. Click the badge under his profile info.